Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What grease (to lube parts) and where?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 13 Mar 2016    Post subject: What grease (to lube parts) and where? Reply with quote

I consider this more on the mechanical and workshop side than general bike chat, please do move (moderator) if needed. Thankyou and possible apologies (for possibly being in the wrong section) in advance.

Story time. Recently I had a mini scare in that I thought I had a gearbox issue and it turns out was* fixed by a few adjustments and lubrication of a few parts. I had the mechanic show me what parts need lubing but forgot what grease he advised. I recall him telling me that they lube all the parts on services and since my chinese tiddlers services are close together the lube lasts but to me that just doesn't sit right in that I'd like to have some grease at home and apply when and if ever it's needed outside of services. Proofs in the pudding that the grease on the gear shift linkage had been completely washed off by riding through winter.

Hopefully a question or topic that helps others.

So (and if you could provide links to the products you buy that would help) what grease / lube do you use on your servicing or in general and where? Basically looking for a somewhat mini breakdown.

- I purchased some "DP-60 copper grease" in a spray bottle but wasn't sure if that was the form that people where using for the back of their brake pads or if there was a gel type that you'd smeer on from a tub that I haven't yet found for sale?

- Also having watched delboys video about headstock bearing replacement he recommends that "LM2 Multi purpose grease" should be you're number one go to grease to have and use the most but all I could find was one called "carlube lm2 multi purpose grease" and didn't want to invest encase wrong type.

Pictures below just to see what type of lube my mechanic uses;

https://s28.postimg.org/9f72zqxi5/linkage_Copy.jpg

https://s30.postimg.org/yo2652rap/lever.jpg

https://s11.postimg.org/oiw6y9m7n/footpeg.jpg

I don't want to over complicate the most basic of jobs but just want to ensure that I have at least one tub or spray can of all the types of lube I'd need and what each one would be used for.

Thumbs Up Karma

* Possibly fixed because has been fine since but limited riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 13 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greases I use most frequently are lithium general purpose for bearings etc, copper grease for anti-seize (yes you can buy it in tins or pots), silicon (dielectric) grease for electrical parts, red rubber grease for brake seals and pistons and molybdenum grease.

A pot of decent lithium grease and copper grease will get you started though Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 13 Mar 2016    Post subject: Re: What grease (to lube parts) and where? Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

- I purchased some "DP-60 copper grease" in a spray bottle but wasn't sure if that was the form that people where using for the back of their brake pads or if there was a gel type that you'd smeer on from a tub that I haven't yet found for sale?

- Also having watched delboys video about headstock bearing replacement he recommends that "LM2 Multi purpose grease" should be you're number one go to grease to have and use the most but all I could find was one called "carlube lm2 multi purpose grease" and didn't want to invest encase wrong type.


A tub of Carlube LM2 Multi-Purpose grease is exactly what he is holding in the video and yes it's your go-to grease. Multi-purpose. Clue is in the name. It's generically just called 'lithium grease', you don't need a specific brand.

Next common type is copper grease, I've never heard of a spray kind but yes it's used on the BACK of brake pads to help stop them squealing. It's main use though is on bolts that you might want to take out at some point in the future - it stops them seizing. Especially due to electrolytic corrosion between different types of metal. E.g. a steel exhaust bolt into an aluminium engine casing.
Carlube do it in a tub or a tube, again you don't need a specific brand. Loctite do one in a thing like Pritt-Stik.
- Don't put it anywhere near bearings or spark plugs because of the copper particles.

Then there's moly grease (molybdenum), for bearings which are under high pressure like swing-arm bearings and I'd use it for headstock bearings but lithium is probably fine too.

Then there is red rubber grease for the rubber boots on brake calipers or alternatively silicone grease for rubber and plastic parts.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot red rubber grease is actually for the brake piston seals, some people just use brake fluid. What Islander said Thumbs Up
____________________
Honda CB500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 13 Mar 2016    Post subject: Re: What grease (to lube parts) and where? Reply with quote

FlightRisk wrote:

Then there's moly grease (molybdenum), for bearings which are under high pressure like swing-arm bearings and I'd use it for headstock bearings but lithium is probably fine too.


Triumph recommend Lithium grease for headstocks (I think, don't quote me on that). But everyone else says to use moly grease.

So why not combine them both Very Happy
It's what I used for bearings and such.

It's bit thicker than standard multi-purpose, but cuts down on grease pots and seems to work well.

As per posts already, copper, red rubber & dielectric. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 13 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi purpose / Lithium grease (same thing).
Copper grease.
Silicone grease.
Red rubber grease.

Got it. I think.

A quick read of the haynes manual for general lubrication comes back to a lithium based multi purpose grease for "Footrest pivots, clutch and brake lever pivots, brake pedal pivot and side / center stand pivots." I'm sure a read of the haynes for any other jobs where grease is required will provide the info as to what grease to use.

As above I'll stick with just multi purpose and copper for now and invest in the others should and when the need arise.

There's always more things to buy. Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:04 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lithium grease most of the time
Copper grease for things you want to be able to undo or should move a little bit like the backplates of brake pads
Red rubber grease for hydraulic seals and rubber bits that dont live in engine oil
Silicone when the manual says so or anywhere latex might go.

You absolutely need copper grease and lithium. I wouldn't trust a spray, particularly when a very tiny bit of copper grease on spark plug threads stops them siezing to the head, but in the wrong places it can cause an earth leak.

Also, threadlock. Use when the manual says so or on bolts that work themselves loose.

Those three you need around. Buy anything else if you know you will need it.
____________________
Bandit. does. everything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:50 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tinkering with my bikes for almost 10 years and have yet to find the need to buy anything other than multi-purpose and copper grease. I've probably used less than 5% of either tub in that time too.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.65 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 57.94 Kb