Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


White helmet and hi vis

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ReadySalted
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: White helmet and hi vis Reply with quote

Yes another one of these questions Rolling Eyes

I know there are those that wouldn't give this a second thought, but personally I can't help judging bikers I see wearing a white helmet and hi vis as trying to look a bit like a copper. It's annoying since I do infact own both a white helmet, and a hi vis, but I'm so concerned about looking like a wannabe police nobhead that I will never wear the two together. It seems a pretty daft situation where I am choosing not to wear hi vis clothing, for fear of not looking a certain way. Maybe that in itself is as stupid as those who wear shorts or no gloves on a bike!

I know that there are those who actively seek to look like coppers. All the clothing, and sat astride white pans making their intentions to look like a copper clear. I just don't want to be grouped alongside them and I can't help but feeling that sporting the aforementioned gear, I will be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:28 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you're getting at here. If you don't want to wear your dayglo and white helmet....don't.

At least you're not one of these bell-ends wearing a 'Polite' vest.
____________________
Current bikes: '08 VFR 800 VTEC(yo) , '07 ZZR1400 Winter hack: '95 Aprilia 650 Pegaso Currently lusting after: RC30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain white helmet and a high-vis I don't pass much judgement on, not that I think theres any benefit from either, unless its a high-vis in fog or at night, possibly.

Throw in some battenburg decals and a ''polite'' vest however...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

vespertinesta...
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 04 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:34 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're wearing the gear and someone notices you look a bit like the police then they've both done their job; you were noticed...

If it helps other people see you then what consolation is it going to be laid up in a hospital bed when you can say "at least I didn't look like a copper."

Stop worrying about what other people think and do what's best for you Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mailee
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:36 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's fashion or safety I know what I would choose. Wouldn't make a lot of difference to the driver who is texting on facebook anyway. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:38 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Re: White helmet and hi vis Reply with quote

ReadySalted wrote:
Yes another one of these questions Rolling Eyes


I missed the question and read some of your life story. Sorry, what exactly is the question here?

Why are you worried what you look like? Wear what you feel safe riding in and have it done with. On the other hand I wouldn't be under the illusion that wearing a hi-viz will prevent a cager from knocking you over and giving you the good old SMIDSY routine. Same story with the good old white helmet v hi viz yellow helmet or alike. My local instructor and I had this conversation during my DAS in regards to he wears a white helmet to be seen (or something similar about it being noticeable).. I've ridden in the dark long enough to know that spotting an oncoming biker beyond their headlight is near impossible until the last moment when they wizz past you. The real solution is to get a Shark Skwal and turn on the lights and look cool as fudge.

I don't get the point in riding in hi-viz. Maybe some day I will, I don't see it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
I don't get the point in riding in hi-viz. Maybe some day I will, I don't see it.
My main incentive to occasionally use one at night in bad weather is in case I do come off/get knocked off (and it doesn't get ripped off), i'd like to hope it reduces the chance of me being steamrolled by other vehicles whilst lying in the road as my other gears dark and has little reflective stuff.

Probably hoping for too much.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

vespertinestar wrote:
what consolation is it going to be laid up in a hospital bed when you can say "at least I didn't look like a copper."


Shit loads. Thumbs Up
____________________
There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

techathy
Traffic Copper



Joined: 09 Aug 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my mind Hi-Viz is of very little practical benefit on the roads. The people who would have seen you anyway see you even earlier so are more likely to 'forget' you're there. Also it won't magically make you visible to the people who aren't looking.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

vespertinesta...
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 04 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
vespertinestar wrote:
what consolation is it going to be laid up in a hospital bed when you can say "at least I didn't look like a copper."


Shit loads. Thumbs Up


Touche; if I could upvote your post, I would Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a hi viz coat and a white helmet when it's raining

My white lid stops the rain getting in as has a chin strap

And my jacket is more waterproof then any other bike one Iever had
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jacket has some reflective patches which were on the jacket when I bought it (but I only bought it because I liked the colour and it came with a small backpack attached), I've only ever worn a high viz during my tests, I don't ride around with my headlights on until just after sunset (or before sunrise).... the only times I've had any problems is people too busy on their phones, people pulling in to my lane without even looking in their mirror or when it's been dark and I've had my headlights on anyway
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might get a Polite vest. #yolo
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
My main incentive to occasionally use one at night in bad weather is in case I do come off/get knocked off (and it doesn't get ripped off), i'd like to hope it reduces the chance of me being steamrolled by other vehicles whilst lying in the road as my other gears dark and has little reflective stuff.

Probably hoping for too much.

My main incentive is that if I do get knocked off by someone, I don't want was riding a black bike with dark clothing to be an excuse.

Probably hoping for too much as well Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Re: White helmet and hi vis Reply with quote

ReadySalted wrote:
I will never wear the two together. It seems a pretty daft situation where I am choosing not to wear hi vis clothing, for fear of not looking a certain way.


You appear to be some kind of fashionista, a Sergio Tacchini shell suit wearer...

Police also ride white bikes, better not get one of those, usually BMW's too so skip those, and probably wearing Altbergs too, so skip those...

Just wear whatever, why do you care what others thinks about what you're wearing on your bike?
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hefty
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who tries to look like a copper?
____________________
'13 Honda CBF125 // '99 Suzuki SV650s // '98 Honda CB600F Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not going to look like a Rozzer if you ride a Grom etc no matter what you wear. Like above, you'd have to be riding a white BMW or whatever your local force uses (FJR1300's here).
____________________
I want your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle.
Suzuki GP125 Suzuki GSX600F Suzuki SV650S KTM EXC250F SkyTeam Bongo 125
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/SnowdoniaRider
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:30 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hefty wrote:
Who tries to look like a copper?


https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4278648#4278648
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy
Traffic Copper



Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.visordown.com/uploads/images/Medium/49680.jpg

OP, is this you? Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hefty
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Hefty wrote:
Who tries to look like a copper?


https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4278648#4278648


I have no words Neutral
____________________
'13 Honda CBF125 // '99 Suzuki SV650s // '98 Honda CB600F Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hefty wrote:
Who tries to look like a copper?

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/upload/216351/images/390x260/vigilante-biker.jpg?quality=50
https://i.imgur.com/PQdogmj.png
https://bmwmcmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/NABB-02.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uY1dKch.png
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Undinist
Nearly there...



Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:58 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fake copper brigade annoy me because until I get close enough to confirm that they're not coppers I have to behave. BUT sometimes the fake-looking coppers turn out to be real ones. Last week I came up behind a Pan ridden by a guy in a black suit with white helmet and a dayglo tabard. I didn't think the filth used Pans any more so I was 99% sure he was fake. But then I spotted the SEG registration, then a black rat sticker on the helmet and some extra switches inside the fairing. He was unmarked Special Escort Group. Unarmed too. Presumably the switches were for blue lights but they were so well hidden I couldn't see them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a white helmet after years of owning black ones. I doubt anyone is going to think I'm a copper on a 2004 KTM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 14 Apr 2016    Post subject: Re: White helmet and hi vis Reply with quote

ReadySalted wrote:

It's annoying since I do infact own both a white helmet, and a hi vis, but I'm so concerned about looking like a wannabe police nobhead that I will never wear the two together.


Why did you buy them if not to wear them? Why does it matter to you what people think.


I bought a white lid because, at the time, I couldn't justify the £70 extra for a paintjob. Then I thought if it's got to be plain, a white lid would show up compared to a dark one.

I've worn hi-viz's since I was 16. Partly because I think there is the 5% chance something bright and flapping in the breeze might get noticed, partly because I can throw my jacket on the floor and not worry if it gets covered in shit/tar, and partly stubbornness.

Bikers are supposed to be about individuality and non-conformity, or some such garbage (we clearly aren't) and I get some weird kick out of annoying other bikers who get excited about looking cool.

That said, it doesn't matter what you wear when the fuckers aren't looking in your direction. Vans / cars pulling out of side roads, onto roundabouts, changing lanes, doing u-turns all looking the other way. Van driver sliding past my outside in clouds of smoke because he was texting and didn't see everyone had stopped on an NSL.
Being sat stationary at a roundabout and being rammed from behind (two work colleagues in the last 2 years).

As far as I can judge, hi-viz + white lid and lights ablaze buys you 1/10 wins. Loud can buys another 3/10 bizzarley. Good judgement about 3/10. And luck 3/10.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.6 Kb