|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Falco |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Falco Traffic Copper

Joined: 27 Nov 2015 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| davebike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 davebike World Chat Champion
Joined: 15 Nov 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 07:54 - 26 May 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Brake calliper pin ?? if so it a 10X1.00 thread super fine
Not economic to do get a calliper
If you must you need a SET M10X1 taps
Drill 9mm if it central you on re cut thread starting with taper then middle and using bottoming tap to Finnish
PIG of a job to get right Without locking the calliper in a mill I bet you will not even get the drilling central !
I with years of experience and a workshop would not do it but a used calliper off ebay that what I would do ____________________ Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected] |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 07:59 - 26 May 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Is the bolt only threaded at one end and can you drill that end?
With this kind of work I find left hand drills to be a very useful option. Don't drill the head off the bolt unless you really have to, it'll come in useful. ____________________ https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 08:24 - 26 May 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Somebody is confused here.
If it's an 8.5mm 'minor' then it's a 1.5 pitch thread.
I don't know much about brake pins, but if davebike is right and it's a 10 x 1 then your minor drill size (in other words the drill required to remove the bottom of the thread troughs (for lack of a better term)) is going to be 9mm.
In any case, the idea is to drill out until the remaining bolt wall, including the threaded section is dead thin, allowing you to essentially pick the 'bolt' out of the 'nut'. I wouldn't go all the way to the minor limit unless I had it clocked up on a mill, as you'll likely damage the threads in the calliper trying to go so close by hand.
Work out what thread size the pin is first as you'll either be verging on damaging the threads, or still have a good quarter mm of bolt wall holding the thread in.
I agree by the way, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this without at least a decent vice. ____________________ I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 08:27 - 26 May 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:03 - 26 May 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
As above.
OR
Drill it all the way out and put a thread insert in. (if you can find someone with ai time-sert kit of the correct size, this would be a pretty good option)
OR
Make a plain pin from a bit of steel bar that goes snugly through your current hole and hold it in place with an r-clip on the inside of the calliper. Drilling a hole for the r-clip would be a challenge. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Falco |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Falco Traffic Copper

Joined: 27 Nov 2015 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:41 - 26 May 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Ichy wrote: | Is the bolt only threaded at one end and can you drill that end?
With this kind of work I find left hand drills to be a very useful option. Don't drill the head off the bolt unless you really have to, it'll come in useful. |
The bolt is threaded at the head only, I would have avoided drilling if it were at all possible. The left handed bits went through pretty well, but failed to turn it out as it broke through the back
| c_dug wrote: | Somebody is confused here.
If it's an 8.5mm 'minor' then it's a 1.5 pitch thread.
I don't know much about brake pins, but if davebike is right and it's a 10 x 1 then your minor drill size (in other words the drill required to remove the bottom of the thread troughs (for lack of a better term)) is going to be 9mm.
In any case, the idea is to drill out until the remaining bolt wall, including the threaded section is dead thin, allowing you to essentially pick the 'bolt' out of the 'nut'. I wouldn't go all the way to the minor limit unless I had it clocked up on a mill, as you'll likely damage the threads in the calliper trying to go so close by hand.
Work out what thread size the pin is first as you'll either be verging on damaging the threads, or still have a good quarter mm of bolt wall holding the thread in.
I agree by the way, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this without at least a decent vice. |
That someone is most probably me. I quite likely got the minor wrong as the pin changes width at the smooth end, so its tricky to get a good measurement. It could be wider. I am more confident about the thread pitch, which is 1.
I am going to go to 8.5mm first, as I am sure you are right and I'll damage the threads at 9mm, which I would like to avoid if possible.
Picture Here
Sage advice from both you and Dave, but unfortunately a vice grip is simply not an option just now (no room for a work bench anywhere and I doubt a folding work bench vice would be sufficient - what I wouldn't give for the room for a decent drill press).
| stinkwheel wrote: | As above.
OR
Drill it all the way out and put a thread insert in. (if you can find someone with ai time-sert kit of the correct size, this would be a pretty good option)
OR
Make a plain pin from a bit of steel bar that goes snugly through your current hole and hold it in place with an r-clip on the inside of the calliper. Drilling a hole for the r-clip would be a challenge. |
Without a stroke of luck (which has been very lacking throughout this whole thing) I suspect it will have to be the thread insert option (though I will buy my own). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Falco |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Falco Traffic Copper

Joined: 27 Nov 2015 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| davebike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 davebike World Chat Champion
Joined: 15 Nov 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:51 - 26 May 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Agreed. It just needs to not fall out. The thread isn't seeing any load, Even the pin is just preventing the pad falling out, it doesn't carry any of the braking force.
The pad pins on many bikes are pushed into place and held in place with a 1mm R-clip or a piece of lockwire. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Major Doss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Major Doss Traffic Copper

Joined: 09 Jan 2014 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| WD Forte |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 WD Forte World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Jun 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MCN |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MCN Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Jul 2015 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MCN |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MCN Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Jul 2015 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 08:31 - 27 May 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Ichy wrote: |
My old manager use to do this. Repeat everything that had already been said. |
My old manager is dead mate so I am unable to compare and contrast with your impertinence.
 ____________________ Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Falco |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Falco Traffic Copper

Joined: 27 Nov 2015 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:28 - 27 May 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Got it!
https://i65.tinypic.com/21jdlbq.jpg
(Honourable mention goes to the new 8.5mm drill bit)
Not got time to type a full reply as I have to go to work, I'll do a proper one when I get back.
Thanks for all the advice guys! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 10 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|