Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How to collapse a drilled out bolt?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Falco
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:54 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: How to collapse a drilled out bolt? Reply with quote

Having exhausted every other avenue, I find myself having to drill one of the pad pins out of my caliper. Apart from breaking one of the centre drills it has been OK.

But now I am at the point where most people say "collapse the bolt" and I am unsure how you do this? The major diameter is 9.9mm and the minor is 8.5mm. How far out can I drill before I damage the threads (I would guess 8.5mm?)

Will the head collapse on its own, or will I need to help it out with a gently applied punch pin on the outer edge or similar?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:54 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake calliper pin ?? if so it a 10X1.00 thread super fine

Not economic to do get a calliper

If you must you need a SET M10X1 taps

Drill 9mm if it central you on re cut thread starting with taper then middle and using bottoming tap to Finnish

PIG of a job to get right Without locking the calliper in a mill I bet you will not even get the drilling central !
I with years of experience and a workshop would not do it but a used calliper off ebay that what I would do
____________________
Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:59 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bolt only threaded at one end and can you drill that end?
With this kind of work I find left hand drills to be a very useful option. Don't drill the head off the bolt unless you really have to, it'll come in useful.
____________________
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:04 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:

I with years of experience and a workshop would not do it but a used calliper off ebay that what I would do


Wow Laughing
I've done it with a hand held battery drill, a blow torch, and a pick. Guess I'm just lucky.
____________________
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:24 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody is confused here.

If it's an 8.5mm 'minor' then it's a 1.5 pitch thread.

I don't know much about brake pins, but if davebike is right and it's a 10 x 1 then your minor drill size (in other words the drill required to remove the bottom of the thread troughs (for lack of a better term)) is going to be 9mm.

In any case, the idea is to drill out until the remaining bolt wall, including the threaded section is dead thin, allowing you to essentially pick the 'bolt' out of the 'nut'. I wouldn't go all the way to the minor limit unless I had it clocked up on a mill, as you'll likely damage the threads in the calliper trying to go so close by hand.

Work out what thread size the pin is first as you'll either be verging on damaging the threads, or still have a good quarter mm of bolt wall holding the thread in.

I agree by the way, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this without at least a decent vice.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:27 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question needs pics. Thumbs Up
____________________
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:03 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above.

OR

Drill it all the way out and put a thread insert in. (if you can find someone with ai time-sert kit of the correct size, this would be a pretty good option)

OR

Make a plain pin from a bit of steel bar that goes snugly through your current hole and hold it in place with an r-clip on the inside of the calliper. Drilling a hole for the r-clip would be a challenge.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:22 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answers stinky but doesn't a 10 mm calliper pin seems a bit large for a bike? I'm confused.
____________________
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Falco
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:41 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichy wrote:
Is the bolt only threaded at one end and can you drill that end?
With this kind of work I find left hand drills to be a very useful option. Don't drill the head off the bolt unless you really have to, it'll come in useful.


The bolt is threaded at the head only, I would have avoided drilling if it were at all possible. The left handed bits went through pretty well, but failed to turn it out as it broke through the back Sad

c_dug wrote:
Somebody is confused here.

If it's an 8.5mm 'minor' then it's a 1.5 pitch thread.

I don't know much about brake pins, but if davebike is right and it's a 10 x 1 then your minor drill size (in other words the drill required to remove the bottom of the thread troughs (for lack of a better term)) is going to be 9mm.

In any case, the idea is to drill out until the remaining bolt wall, including the threaded section is dead thin, allowing you to essentially pick the 'bolt' out of the 'nut'. I wouldn't go all the way to the minor limit unless I had it clocked up on a mill, as you'll likely damage the threads in the calliper trying to go so close by hand.

Work out what thread size the pin is first as you'll either be verging on damaging the threads, or still have a good quarter mm of bolt wall holding the thread in.

I agree by the way, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this without at least a decent vice.


That someone is most probably me. I quite likely got the minor wrong as the pin changes width at the smooth end, so its tricky to get a good measurement. It could be wider. I am more confident about the thread pitch, which is 1.

I am going to go to 8.5mm first, as I am sure you are right and I'll damage the threads at 9mm, which I would like to avoid if possible.

Picture Here

Sage advice from both you and Dave, but unfortunately a vice grip is simply not an option just now (no room for a work bench anywhere and I doubt a folding work bench vice would be sufficient - what I wouldn't give for the room for a decent drill press).

stinkwheel wrote:
As above.

OR

Drill it all the way out and put a thread insert in. (if you can find someone with ai time-sert kit of the correct size, this would be a pretty good option)

OR

Make a plain pin from a bit of steel bar that goes snugly through your current hole and hold it in place with an r-clip on the inside of the calliper. Drilling a hole for the r-clip would be a challenge.


Without a stroke of luck (which has been very lacking throughout this whole thing) I suspect it will have to be the thread insert option (though I will buy my own).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Falco
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:42 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichy wrote:
Good answers stinky but doesn't a 10 mm calliper pin seems a bit large for a bike? I'm confused.


The threaded head is 10mm (well 9.9), it reduces to a shaft of 6mm, which is what the pads hang on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(though I will buy my own).


Timesert kit is £117 !
I not trust a helicoil
____________________
Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
Quote:
(though I will buy my own).


Timesert kit is £117 !
I not trust a helicoil


I don't trust other people working on my bikes, they'll just buy a new caliper rather than use my perfectly serviceable one. Whistle
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
Quote:
(though I will buy my own).


Timesert kit is £117 !
I not trust a helicoil


Nothing wrong with helicoils if they're done properly and this is hardly a high torque or high load thread. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. It just needs to not fall out. The thread isn't seeing any load, Even the pin is just preventing the pad falling out, it doesn't carry any of the braking force.

The pad pins on many bikes are pushed into place and held in place with a 1mm R-clip or a piece of lockwire.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Nothing wrong with helicoils if they're done properly and this is hardly a high torque or high load thread. Rolling Eyes


Totally agree. I've seen them used on brand new cars. Once the bolt is in the helicoil goes nowhere.
____________________
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The pad pins on many bikes are pushed into place and held in place with a 1mm R-clip or a piece of lockwire.


Makes you wonder why manufacturers seem to make them overly complicated. Must be a reason? Simplicity for me every time.
____________________
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The pad pins on many bikes are pushed into place and held in place with a 1mm R-clip or a piece of lockwire.


This is why I'm a big fan of Brembo calipers Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
Quote:
(though I will buy my own).


Timesert kit is £117 !
I not trust a helicoil


That's just daft. Helicoil are a specified fitment for many high-dependancy applications. Not trusting one is like not trusting water to be wet. If they are fitted properly they work properly, and will provide a more robust thread than the parent material in many cases.

M10x1 holds no magic either. It's a spark plug thread and taps are cheap:

https://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-dies/metric-taps-dies/10-x-1-metric-sp-plug
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:


Tracy tools, superb people Thumbs Up they have never let me down even with obscure requests.
____________________
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Major Doss
Traffic Copper



Joined: 09 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:16 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
This is why I'm a big fan of Brembo calipers Mr. Green


Forgive a slight off topic, but have you found issues with getting goldline seals? (I have to club a grey seal over the head and make do.)

Pics though, back on topic.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've removed siezed bleed nipples and exhaust studs
using this method and probably fooked up as many as Ive fixed
so its desperate measures.
Good luck with it!

If you're near Bristol I'll have a go at tacking a hex key in for you
If you're not and you tell us your area
there mey be someone near you with the kit to try it
____________________
bikers smell of wee
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:51 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a pun.

The drill size for tapping may be metric or imperial and one or two sizes here or there. It is called a 'Tapping Size Drill' and can very easily be found by googling tapping size drill on Google.
If I was doing the job: Drill pilot and step-ups until easy out size.
I'd drill much smaller than tapping size first and hope the action of drilling loosened the remnants of pin and it could be removed with an easy out.
If no joy then go with the tapping size and dig out the bits using a pick.
Tap out.

The pads are only prevented from falling out by the pins. The sides of the backing rest on the insides of the caliper a when braking so there's effectively no loading on the caliper pins. Except possibly some squeeze out from braking.
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:14 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
This thread.


My old manager use to do this. Repeat everything that had already been said.
____________________
https://www.metacafe.com/watch/1972097/how_to_behave_on_a_forum/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:31 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichy wrote:
MCN wrote:
This thread.


My old manager use to do this. Repeat everything that had already been said.


My old manager is dead mate so I am unable to compare and contrast with your impertinence.
Wink
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Falco
Traffic Copper



Joined: 27 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 27 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it!

https://i65.tinypic.com/21jdlbq.jpg

Dance! (Honourable mention goes to the new 8.5mm drill bit)

Not got time to type a full reply as I have to go to work, I'll do a proper one when I get back.

Thanks for all the advice guys!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.09 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.86 Kb