|
|
| Author |
Message |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:35 - 28 May 2016 Post subject: 1982 Suzuki FZ50 moped: indicators and horn not working. |
 |
|
Any ideas? This thing has turned out to be a bit of a money-pit. I bought it for £290 with 11 months MOT, but I found out the throttle cable had been bodged and needed attention, not a big deal but sourcing a cheap replacement throttle assembly saw the moped end up in the shed for a long while.
2 years later I make my mind up to put it back on the road, so I though sod it, take it to the local bike shop and leave it for them to sort out.
Engine seized. Among other things. Fcuk.
Total bill £280 cash. I wish they'd called me, I did say I could go up to £300 but FFS, I could have picked up a replacement engine for peanuts rather than have the old one overhauled. God I feel irritated. I'm not going to complain about the mechanic too much because I don't know how much labour and parts costs went into fixing up the moped, but I feel cheated. It doesn't even have an MOT and it's more than I wanted to spend on a rusty old 50cc runabout.
And now, the indicators and horn aren't working. Why that should be I don't know, I only rode the thing once two years ago and the lights were working fine. The mechanic replaced the coil on the FZ50 but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Unfortunately I'm no good with electrics and the only guy I know who could fix it (and he could probably figure it out on 5 minutes if he was home) is out of the Country for 6 months.
The battery seems to be okay, headlight is fine, rear light is fine, but no indicators or horn. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nobby the Bastard |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nobby the Bastard Harley Gaydar

Joined: 16 Aug 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| smegballs |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 smegballs World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Oct 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:42 - 29 May 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Progress! I think I killed the horn; I unscrewed the nut on the front and now it won't go back in. But I followed a tip I read and tried shorting across the wires that go into the flasher unit (disconnected from flasher unit) and the front indicator lights do light up. Not the rear ones, but still, defintitely getting somewhere.
I opened up the flasher unit and took a look inside. It's a lump of rust! I reckon that must be the culprit.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Meatybeaty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Meatybeaty World Chat Champion
Joined: 10 Apr 2016 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Meatybeaty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Meatybeaty World Chat Champion
Joined: 10 Apr 2016 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:03 - 02 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Have you got the supplimentary manual that sows the turn indicator relay, the wires to that are Light blue/orange and the horn are orange/green . The only White/red wire I can see goes from the magneto to the rectifier, and the red wire comes from the battery to the rectifier  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:12 - 02 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks Meaty. Yes, the manual I downloaded is the supplementary manual. I'm not very good at reading wiring diagrams, but I'll have a look for those wires on the moped.
edit* You're right, the only red/white wire comes from the rectifier, so I guess that black plastic thing must be the rectifier. do you think I should replace it? Looking at photos of new ones, it looks like I've got half a rectifier, or is it okay like that? The bike starts okay.
What it's supposed to look like:
https://www.stuff4bikes.co.uk/ekmps/shops/stuff4bikes/images/regulator-rectifier-suzuki-fz50-n-x-z-suzy-80-86-5817-p.jpg
(edit)
Update: New rectifier fitted, aaaand..... nothing.
More investigation required.
A tiny bit of life in the front indicators, so maybe it's a rusty connection between the front and rear. Not sure why the headlight and brakelight fade in and out with the indicators. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:13 - 11 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
*Bump*
Quick question: this is probably an obvious one but after 30 minutes of hunting for the answer on Google I concede defeat; the 6-volt battery is showing about 7 volts with the engine running, but only 4 volts with the engine off. Is that normal, or is it a duff battery?
Short clip of the moped if you want to take a look at the lights:
https://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc469/Ninja_Butler/Random%204/th_20160611_153737.mp4 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Meatybeaty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Meatybeaty World Chat Champion
Joined: 10 Apr 2016 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:56 - 11 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi Ninja , must of missed your last post , did you get the new reg, and how old is the battery, i would have thought it should hold more than 4v at rest, possibly a drain somewhere ,will have a look at the wiring , could you take the battery off the bike and charge it up and see how much it will lose sat on the shelf  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:30 - 11 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Meatybeaty wrote: | Hi Ninja , must of missed your last post , did you get the new reg, and how old is the battery, i would have thought it should hold more than 4v at rest, possibly a drain somewhere ,will have a look at the wiring , could you take the battery off the bike and charge it up and see how much it will lose sat on the shelf  |
Meaty to the rescue again.
Yep, new regulator fitted. It certainly doesn't look like the regulator/rectifiers I've seen on modern bikes, but at £3.50 I'm not complaining.
I've been checking the wiring, giving the various connectors a dose of WD40, and using my multimeter to check for breaks in the wires. I'm not exactly competent, but using the buzzer setting (I'm not sure how to use ohms) the wires for the rear indicators seem to be work; I followed them all the way from the back, into the headlight shell, and into the indicator switch (in the left-hand assembly) which I cleaned up a bit, and I'm definitely getting a signal. Oddly, one of the lights worked better for a minute or two after I cleaned up inside the left-hand assembly , but now it's back to rubbish.
I changed the rear bulbs just in case, but no difference.
The battery is about 3 years old and wasn't used at all for about 2 and a half years, I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last if they haven't been charged up for so long. When I got the bike back from the shop, the battery was fully charged - that was about 10 days ago. I'll try what you suggested and see what happens to the voltage if I charge it again. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Meatybeaty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Meatybeaty World Chat Champion
Joined: 10 Apr 2016 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:48 - 11 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi noticed in your little video that the headlight was dimming with the operation of the left indicator, could be a good place to start, the indicators on the left side run off a black wire and indicator to earth and the right hand side run of a light green to indicators and the headlight should run off a black/white ,white and yellow (3 wires) maybe theres a short across those wires interfering with the headlight and indicators , could also be the drain on the battery  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:14 - 11 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thick, thick,thick! I am as thick as two short bloody planks! Fecking heck, I should not be trusted to change a lightbulb. Bloody idiot.
It's the battery.
I put the battery on charge, it went straight to green. Let it charge for 10 minutes, put it on the moped, lights working fine. I need a new battery.
Thankyou Meaty, you've been a sport.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Meatybeaty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Meatybeaty World Chat Champion
Joined: 10 Apr 2016 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:05 - 12 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thankyou Meaty, yes I could do with that parts manual. I'm downloading it right now.
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| andyscooter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 andyscooter World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 May 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:56 - 18 Jun 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
epilogue:
I cleaned up the brackets holding the indicators to the frame - the most obvious earthing point but I didn't think about it. Now the indicators are working quite happily at full brightness.
edi* Oh, and a bonus point to Meaty: There was a drain on the battery; I removed a rather rusty indicator warning buzzer. I don't need it but it's cleaned-up now so I might try it again.
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 10 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|