Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


1982 Suzuki FZ50 moped: indicators and horn not working.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: 1982 Suzuki FZ50 moped: indicators and horn not working. Reply with quote

Any ideas? This thing has turned out to be a bit of a money-pit. I bought it for £290 with 11 months MOT, but I found out the throttle cable had been bodged and needed attention, not a big deal but sourcing a cheap replacement throttle assembly saw the moped end up in the shed for a long while.

2 years later I make my mind up to put it back on the road, so I though sod it, take it to the local bike shop and leave it for them to sort out.

Engine seized. Among other things. Fcuk.

Total bill £280 cash. I wish they'd called me, I did say I could go up to £300 but FFS, I could have picked up a replacement engine for peanuts rather than have the old one overhauled. God I feel irritated. I'm not going to complain about the mechanic too much because I don't know how much labour and parts costs went into fixing up the moped, but I feel cheated. It doesn't even have an MOT and it's more than I wanted to spend on a rusty old 50cc runabout.

And now, the indicators and horn aren't working. Why that should be I don't know, I only rode the thing once two years ago and the lights were working fine. The mechanic replaced the coil on the FZ50 but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Unfortunately I'm no good with electrics and the only guy I know who could fix it (and he could probably figure it out on 5 minutes if he was home) is out of the Country for 6 months.

The battery seems to be okay, headlight is fine, rear light is fine, but no indicators or horn.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:20 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probaably a fuse but you'll get the same adice that everyone else gets who comes here with electrical problems.

Get hold of a multi-meter and then come back
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:54 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nobby. I do have a multimeter. I was thinking maybe I should disconnect the horn and check to see if there is power there. Would that be a good place to start?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninja_butler wrote:
Thanks Nobby. I do have a multimeter. I was thinking maybe I should disconnect the horn and check to see if there is power there. Would that be a good place to start?


Yep, that's a good place to start. Measure directly across the terminals. If you get no reading then measure between each terminal and battery -ve. If you get a reading that way, start checking ground points and connections, if you don't then check fuses.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
ninja_butler wrote:
Thanks Nobby. I do have a multimeter. I was thinking maybe I should disconnect the horn and check to see if there is power there. Would that be a good place to start?


Yep, that's a good place to start. Measure directly across the terminals. If you get no reading then measure between each terminal and battery -ve. If you get a reading that way, start checking ground points and connections, if you don't then check fuses.


Well, there's power to the horn, so I guess the horn is faulty. I'll take it apart and have a look. Starting to rain now so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to figure out what's up with the indicators.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 28 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninja_butler wrote:

Well, there's power to the horn, so I guess the horn is faulty. I'll take it apart and have a look. Starting to rain now so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to figure out what's up with the indicators.


Horns often have a permanent positive and a switched earth. Try making sure all earth connections are good. Try using checking the resistance from the horns negative to battery negative, and the same for the indicators.

Dodgy earth can cause all sorts of shit with vehicle electrics. I had a mates GSXR who's lights (indies, pilots lights, the lot) were in full flashing disco-mode. I added and extra earth cable from the indies to the frame and everything was fine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:42 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress! I think I killed the horn; I unscrewed the nut on the front and now it won't go back in. But I followed a tip I read and tried shorting across the wires that go into the flasher unit (disconnected from flasher unit) and the front indicator lights do light up. Not the rear ones, but still, defintitely getting somewhere.

I opened up the flasher unit and took a look inside. It's a lump of rust! I reckon that must be the culprit. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:38 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger. Still doesn't work.

Oh, and it's a 1980 Fz50, not 1982, but I did order the 1980 flasher unit. I guess I'll have to start poking at the fuses and check the bulbs. It was all working before though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninja_butler wrote:
Bugger. Still doesn't work.

Oh, and it's a 1980 Fz50, not 1982, but I did order the 1980 flasher unit. I guess I'll have to start poking at the fuses and check the bulbs. It was all working before though.

Have got the Workshop Manual if you need one Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
ninja_butler wrote:
Bugger. Still doesn't work.

Oh, and it's a 1980 Fz50, not 1982, but I did order the 1980 flasher unit. I guess I'll have to start poking at the fuses and check the bulbs. It was all working before though.

Have got the Workshop Manual if you need one Thumbs Up


That's very kind of you. Smile
I found a downloadable manual, and I think all the info is in it, so I should be okay.

I took a look at the wires above the battery, which I guess is the fuse box. There are two wires connecting to a little black plastic thing.. I think it's a fuse box, but the only thing inside is white powder!

I'll take a photo in a minute. I removed the powder; I'm not sure but the powder might be the remains of a fuse.


https://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc469/Ninja_Butler/Random%204/IMG_0015.jpg

https://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc469/Ninja_Butler/Random%204/IMG_0014.jpg

https://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc469/Ninja_Butler/Random%204/IMG_0013.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the supplimentary manual that sows the turn indicator relay, the wires to that are Light blue/orange and the horn are orange/green . The only White/red wire I can see goes from the magneto to the rectifier, and the red wire comes from the battery to the rectifier Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Meaty. Yes, the manual I downloaded is the supplementary manual. I'm not very good at reading wiring diagrams, but I'll have a look for those wires on the moped.


edit* You're right, the only red/white wire comes from the rectifier, so I guess that black plastic thing must be the rectifier. do you think I should replace it? Looking at photos of new ones, it looks like I've got half a rectifier, or is it okay like that? The bike starts okay.

What it's supposed to look like:
https://www.stuff4bikes.co.uk/ekmps/shops/stuff4bikes/images/regulator-rectifier-suzuki-fz50-n-x-z-suzy-80-86-5817-p.jpg



(edit)

Update: New rectifier fitted, aaaand..... nothing.
More investigation required.

A tiny bit of life in the front indicators, so maybe it's a rusty connection between the front and rear. Not sure why the headlight and brakelight fade in and out with the indicators.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Bump*

Quick question: this is probably an obvious one but after 30 minutes of hunting for the answer on Google I concede defeat; the 6-volt battery is showing about 7 volts with the engine running, but only 4 volts with the engine off. Is that normal, or is it a duff battery?

Short clip of the moped if you want to take a look at the lights:
https://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc469/Ninja_Butler/Random%204/th_20160611_153737.mp4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ninja , must of missed your last post , did you get the new reg, and how old is the battery, i would have thought it should hold more than 4v at rest, possibly a drain somewhere ,will have a look at the wiring , could you take the battery off the bike and charge it up and see how much it will lose sat on the shelf Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
Hi Ninja , must of missed your last post , did you get the new reg, and how old is the battery, i would have thought it should hold more than 4v at rest, possibly a drain somewhere ,will have a look at the wiring , could you take the battery off the bike and charge it up and see how much it will lose sat on the shelf Thumbs Up


Meaty to the rescue again. Smile
Yep, new regulator fitted. It certainly doesn't look like the regulator/rectifiers I've seen on modern bikes, but at £3.50 I'm not complaining.

I've been checking the wiring, giving the various connectors a dose of WD40, and using my multimeter to check for breaks in the wires. I'm not exactly competent, but using the buzzer setting (I'm not sure how to use ohms) the wires for the rear indicators seem to be work; I followed them all the way from the back, into the headlight shell, and into the indicator switch (in the left-hand assembly) which I cleaned up a bit, and I'm definitely getting a signal. Oddly, one of the lights worked better for a minute or two after I cleaned up inside the left-hand assembly , but now it's back to rubbish.

I changed the rear bulbs just in case, but no difference.

The battery is about 3 years old and wasn't used at all for about 2 and a half years, I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last if they haven't been charged up for so long. When I got the bike back from the shop, the battery was fully charged - that was about 10 days ago. I'll try what you suggested and see what happens to the voltage if I charge it again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi noticed in your little video that the headlight was dimming with the operation of the left indicator, could be a good place to start, the indicators on the left side run off a black wire and indicator to earth and the right hand side run of a light green to indicators and the headlight should run off a black/white ,white and yellow (3 wires) maybe theres a short across those wires interfering with the headlight and indicators , could also be the drain on the battery Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thick, thick,thick! I am as thick as two short bloody planks! Fecking heck, I should not be trusted to change a lightbulb. Bloody idiot.

It's the battery. Embarassed


I put the battery on charge, it went straight to green. Let it charge for 10 minutes, put it on the moped, lights working fine. I need a new battery.

Thankyou Meaty, you've been a sport. Thumbs Up Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, glad about that , just found the parts manual for that bike,if you need it, I like to use them when stripping down and assembly can never remember how i took the parts off and in what order Thumbs Up
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbdr90g05g19oum/Suzuki-FZ50-parts-manual.pdf?dl=0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
Hi mate, glad about that , just found the parts manual for that bike,if you need it, I like to use them when stripping down and assembly can never remember how i took the parts off and in what order Thumbs Up
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbdr90g05g19oum/Suzuki-FZ50-parts-manual.pdf?dl=0


Thankyou Meaty, yes I could do with that parts manual. I'm downloading it right now.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:32 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

only just seen this thread but could of told you it was the battery from the first post

had the same probs with a Suzuki ap50 we did up
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
only just seen this thread but could of told you it was the battery from the first post

had the same probs with a Suzuki ap50 we did up


Damn, I shouldn't have Googled Suzuki AP50. Now I want one.

https://www.bikesrestored.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/suzukiap50-1976-9.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

epilogue:

I cleaned up the brackets holding the indicators to the frame - the most obvious earthing point but I didn't think about it. Now the indicators are working quite happily at full brightness.

edi* Oh, and a bonus point to Meaty: There was a drain on the battery; I removed a rather rusty indicator warning buzzer. I don't need it but it's cleaned-up now so I might try it again.

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.82 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 115.74 Kb