Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Information/advice on ducati monster 600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Klause
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Information/advice on ducati monster 600 Reply with quote

Right I really like the look of the monster for my next bike (moving from zzr250). Theres no other bike that looks like it and falls under the same price. I like the cagiva raptor but it's pricey and less common.

Now I don't know anyone who owns one? This is a problem because I've 'heard' a lot of stories about Reliability (being Italian and all) but is this really true for the users?
Question What are they like to use everyday?
Question I cover about 100-200 miles a week, will it cope?
Question What do the different models mean, dark, m600?
Question Any know problems?

My parents are willing to give me a loan to boost me to £2000 from whatever I save up e.g. sell zzr250 for £900 get £1100 loan Thumbs Up
____________________
Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie.


Last edited by Klause on 21:20 - 26 Feb 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate of mine,,well my plumber actually but we have become good friends has the 900 monster fitted with a few trick carbon xtras.
He use's it several time a week and has never had any trouble with it. But he does insist on having it dealer serviced which can cost a bit.


They look and sound really nice btw
____________________
https://domharnessphotography.webs.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Klause
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but the 900 uses a different engine, I think?

But yes some decent dealer/service history would be a good idea. Thumbs Up
____________________
Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends mum had one. She didn't use it much, but all i know was that in 33bhp form it wouldn't go much past 85-90. Sod all ground clearance from the cans and the mudguard/plate looks like an after thought.

Nice (underpowered, overweight) toy, but i wouldn't want it for a main bike.

Reliability - don't think it made more tha 2k km so i couldn't say.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bikes... but

The servicing costs are extortionate and the Ducati reliability is questionable at best! I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but generally a Ducati is a hobby! If you want something that will run with no questions and be happy to use as a commuter I wouldn't recommend it, if you want a weekend bike that you have to love and caress it will reward you for it! Laughing

If you like naked bikes, I know I am biased, but why not look at a Speed Triple? Have a go on one.. you will love it!
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Klause
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've heard that if you like going far down cornering, the cans often scrape along the floor Surprised . Im not the one for knee down so this shouldn't be a problem, if I turn into one then I'll buy higher cans.
____________________
Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a list showing what the recommend used price for bikes;

https://www.motobykz.co.uk/UsedMotorcycleGuide/UsedPriceGuide.htm

and a review of new bikes too;

https://www.motobykz.co.uk/Newmodelandprices.htm


Last edited by Scotsman37 on 20:50 - 26 Feb 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Vespa
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Re: Information/advice on ducati monster 600 Reply with quote

.

Last edited by Vespa on 21:35 - 31 Oct 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Klause
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So certain years have problems? Whats a good year to buy then?

People say they get problems, what kind of problems? I get problems with my zzr250 all the time and fix them myself, just recently replaced my clutch Surprised

I like the naked triumphs but they cost alot and don't have a smaller cc range.
____________________
Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Re: Information/advice on ducati monster 600 Reply with quote

Remember you are paying extra money for less bike.

No problems, providing it's the image you want to be spending your money on.

The newer models are better I believe, but still not up to the cheaper SV650 in most aspects, as far as I know.

As Rob said, the servicing costs for ducati engines match the extra you have to pay for the privlege of having less power Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klause wrote:

I like the naked triumphs but they cost alot and don't have a smaller cc range.


If you can afford the insurance, had you considered an old speed triple?

While they may not be up to current bikes in terms of handling, I suspect it will still be better than a Ducati for the same money.
(And I like them Smile ).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Vespa
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

.

Last edited by Vespa on 21:36 - 31 Oct 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Ducati spares site which will give you an idea of running costs ;

https://www.ducati-spares.com/acatalog/index.html
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Klause
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power doesn't bother me I think the zzr250 has enough, just it works it's tits off to go anywhere.

The sv650 bores me, I don't look at it and go wow! Oh on the plus side im 5,6 and the monster is small Embarassed . I may have to go sit on a few bikes.
____________________
Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently post 97 bikes are better as this is when they were bought buy the American's. Someone I know beleive's this gave all Ducati's better reliability/quality control, whether it's true or not I dont know. Unless you really want a Ducati an SV650 is probably better as an everyday bike. Consider getting the 750 monster if you can afford the extra price/insurance.
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My father has one. Not used it much (and I have only ridden it down the drive). Few bits of dodgy finish, but nothing major like a Bandit suffers from. Dirt cheap to buy 2nd hand, the 600 at least. He paid around £2000 for one with about 5 years old but with only around 2000 miles on the clocks.

The Dark is the cheap version. Basic paint scheme and possibly not as well finished.

I know someone else who owns a 600 Monster and I have ridden that one. It was her first bike after her test and I rode it back for her from the dealer (new bike, greasy roads and inexperienced rider did not go well together so I got the fun instead). No real problems at all but it is very pampered.

From what people have said they can have bore problems on one cylinder at around 20000 miles, but being an air cooled twin it should be easy to do a rebore. May even be an excuse for a big bore kit. The 600 has a single disk at the front, which some say is not adequate. Probably true if you are thrashing it, but for general use it is fine and I think a twin disk upgrade is not that difficult. Ground clearance is not really a problem either unless you are pushing it hard.

Servicing from a Ducati dealer is expensive, but there is no real need to take it to one. The valves are not that easy to do compared to most bikes, but otherwise it is easy, and requires less frequent servicing that anything like a Bandit or SV.

As to reliability, this is an old Ducati Pantah, using a very early version of the Monsters engine, being thrashed around 3 Sisters, something it puts up with on a regular basis.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but will you be looking at it when you're riding it Smile.

For me I would much prefer to pay for what the bike does while I'm sitting on it, rather than while I'm not.
It's not just the engine we're talking, the old monster was known for having particularly bad brakes and soggy handling. Not sure how the new ones compare.
My desktop background at work (something I look at occasionaly) is a 999... that keeps my tarty satisfaction satisfied Razz. When it's my money I'm spending I'd prefer it to make it more fun to ride, or to have money to do other things, such as trackdays, racing, computers, alcohol etc, etc.
Appreciate not everyone has the same priorities as me; it'd be a scary world if they did.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Klause
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:12 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

About parts prices, seem cheaper than jap prices! or the same!

It looks very easy to work on the engine is right there infront of you lol. I havn't done vavle timing but my dad does and can.

Kickstart: Yes they do indeed sell cheap, probably the reason that attracts me most. I service my bikes myself so can't really see dealer servicing a problem. I swear my bike comes out worse when I give it to dealers Rolling Eyes .

Also what goes wrong exactly with the bore?


HAHAHAHA.... G how many bikes work out of the ones you have bought exactly? Or are at least road legal? Razz
____________________
Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Point being with a 600 Monster is that its main competition would be bikes like the unfaired SV650. 2nd hand market the Monster is far cheaper and requires less servicing.

Think the bore wears slightly oval. Oil consumption will increase.

I do have a 600 Monster workshop manual here (original Ducati one).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaffa has one.

He'll probably help Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Klause
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:19 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart:
Whats it like to work on? My last Italian bike annoyed the tits off me at times, but then again so does the kawasaki.

Also is the manual decent? The one for my planet sucked ass and lots of stuff didn't make any sense, where as the zzr250 is really nice and simple to use.

Oh by the way sorry if im semi ignoring you lot and listening to kickstart this is because hes been within a meter of one Razz
____________________
Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klause wrote:

HAHAHAHA.... G how many bikes work out of the ones you have bought exactly? Or are at least road legal? Razz

Not that I quite see the relevance. I have bought relatively expsensive bikes in the past. I regretted it because I knew I would crash them.
However, were this not the case, I would still be looking at spending my money on practicality. Maybe if I wasn't permanently broke my outlook might be different Smile.

Only bike that doesn't work is the DR I bought over a year ago. There were some bad rust on it at the time, and was priced accordingly. I easily got £600 worth of use out of it and am intending to sell it for spares.

All the others work fine. Need money for insurance, tax and MOT for the others; they all need little bits doing, but nothing major. However all my money's being pored into racing at the mo.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klause wrote:
Kickstart:
Whats it like to work on? My last Italian bike annoyed the tits off me at times, but then again so does the kawasaki.


Not done anything on one, and all my father has done is minor work (fitting a headlight fairing and rev counter, repainting the outer engine cases). However they are quite simple engines and most things are easy to get at so they should be quite easy

Klause wrote:
Also is the manual decent? The one for my planet sucked ass and lots of stuff didn't make any sense, where as the zzr250 is really nice and simple to use.


Very good, but it is the dealer manual. Cost my father £35 to get it photocopied Laughing .

All bikes have jobs that are a pain. The monster is only a 4V engine but has desmo valves with shims to change. Cam belts need changing but possibly not as often as some people say. My fathers one had the original belts on after 5 years (and virtually no miles), and the dealers said that wasn't a problem and they normally went more on the mileage rather than the age of them.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Klause
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:24 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kickstart... Any other nice looking naked bikes out there? Most seem to bore me, or are crazy in price.
____________________
Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:26 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your budget?

I'd be tempted by a trx850 for something 'different' that's also good value per performance. Obviously a bit sportier than the monstor though, more of a SS style.
Has 'classic' looks, but I like classic looks Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 131.17 Kb