|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Klause |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Klause World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:37 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: Information/advice on ducati monster 600 |
 |
|
Right I really like the look of the monster for my next bike (moving from zzr250). Theres no other bike that looks like it and falls under the same price. I like the cagiva raptor but it's pricey and less common.
Now I don't know anyone who owns one? This is a problem because I've 'heard' a lot of stories about Reliability (being Italian and all) but is this really true for the users?
What are they like to use everyday?
I cover about 100-200 miles a week, will it cope?
What do the different models mean, dark, m600?
Any know problems?
My parents are willing to give me a loan to boost me to £2000 from whatever I save up e.g. sell zzr250 for £900 get £1100 loan  ____________________ Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie.
Last edited by Klause on 21:20 - 26 Feb 2005; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Retro-Man |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Retro-Man Traffic Copper

Joined: 21 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:41 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Mate of mine,,well my plumber actually but we have become good friends has the 900 monster fitted with a few trick carbon xtras.
He use's it several time a week and has never had any trouble with it. But he does insist on having it dealer serviced which can cost a bit.
They look and sound really nice btw ____________________ https://domharnessphotography.webs.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Klause |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Klause World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:44 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yes but the 900 uses a different engine, I think?
But yes some decent dealer/service history would be a good idea.  ____________________ Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cagiva gezzer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cagiva gezzer World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Mar 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rob |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rob World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:48 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Lovely bikes... but
The servicing costs are extortionate and the Ducati reliability is questionable at best! I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but generally a Ducati is a hobby! If you want something that will run with no questions and be happy to use as a commuter I wouldn't recommend it, if you want a weekend bike that you have to love and caress it will reward you for it!
If you like naked bikes, I know I am biased, but why not look at a Speed Triple? Have a go on one.. you will love it! ____________________ Love is 1050cc  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Klause |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Klause World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:48 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yeah I've heard that if you like going far down cornering, the cans often scrape along the floor . Im not the one for knee down so this shouldn't be a problem, if I turn into one then I'll buy higher cans. ____________________ Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scotsman37 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scotsman37 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vespa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Vespa Traffic Copper
Joined: 12 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Klause |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Klause World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:55 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
So certain years have problems? Whats a good year to buy then?
People say they get problems, what kind of problems? I get problems with my zzr250 all the time and fix them myself, just recently replaced my clutch
I like the naked triumphs but they cost alot and don't have a smaller cc range. ____________________ Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:58 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: Re: Information/advice on ducati monster 600 |
 |
|
Remember you are paying extra money for less bike.
No problems, providing it's the image you want to be spending your money on.
The newer models are better I believe, but still not up to the cheaper SV650 in most aspects, as far as I know.
As Rob said, the servicing costs for ducati engines match the extra you have to pay for the privlege of having less power . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vespa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Vespa Traffic Copper
Joined: 12 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scotsman37 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scotsman37 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Klause |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Klause World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:04 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Power doesn't bother me I think the zzr250 has enough, just it works it's tits off to go anywhere.
The sv650 bores me, I don't look at it and go wow! Oh on the plus side im 5,6 and the monster is small . I may have to go sit on a few bikes. ____________________ Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irezumi aka Reuben |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irezumi aka Reuben Carrot Top
Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:05 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
My father has one. Not used it much (and I have only ridden it down the drive). Few bits of dodgy finish, but nothing major like a Bandit suffers from. Dirt cheap to buy 2nd hand, the 600 at least. He paid around £2000 for one with about 5 years old but with only around 2000 miles on the clocks.
The Dark is the cheap version. Basic paint scheme and possibly not as well finished.
I know someone else who owns a 600 Monster and I have ridden that one. It was her first bike after her test and I rode it back for her from the dealer (new bike, greasy roads and inexperienced rider did not go well together so I got the fun instead). No real problems at all but it is very pampered.
From what people have said they can have bore problems on one cylinder at around 20000 miles, but being an air cooled twin it should be easy to do a rebore. May even be an excuse for a big bore kit. The 600 has a single disk at the front, which some say is not adequate. Probably true if you are thrashing it, but for general use it is fine and I think a twin disk upgrade is not that difficult. Ground clearance is not really a problem either unless you are pushing it hard.
Servicing from a Ducati dealer is expensive, but there is no real need to take it to one. The valves are not that easy to do compared to most bikes, but otherwise it is easy, and requires less frequent servicing that anything like a Bandit or SV.
As to reliability, this is an old Ducati Pantah, using a very early version of the Monsters engine, being thrashed around 3 Sisters, something it puts up with on a regular basis.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:08 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ah, but will you be looking at it when you're riding it .
For me I would much prefer to pay for what the bike does while I'm sitting on it, rather than while I'm not.
It's not just the engine we're talking, the old monster was known for having particularly bad brakes and soggy handling. Not sure how the new ones compare.
My desktop background at work (something I look at occasionaly) is a 999... that keeps my tarty satisfaction satisfied . When it's my money I'm spending I'd prefer it to make it more fun to ride, or to have money to do other things, such as trackdays, racing, computers, alcohol etc, etc.
Appreciate not everyone has the same priorities as me; it'd be a scary world if they did. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Klause |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Klause World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:12 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
About parts prices, seem cheaper than jap prices! or the same!
It looks very easy to work on the engine is right there infront of you lol. I havn't done vavle timing but my dad does and can.
Kickstart: Yes they do indeed sell cheap, probably the reason that attracts me most. I service my bikes myself so can't really see dealer servicing a problem. I swear my bike comes out worse when I give it to dealers .
Also what goes wrong exactly with the bore?
HAHAHAHA.... G how many bikes work out of the ones you have bought exactly? Or are at least road legal?  ____________________ Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| instigator |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 instigator Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:16 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Jaffa has one.
He'll probably help  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Klause |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Klause World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:19 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Kickstart:
Whats it like to work on? My last Italian bike annoyed the tits off me at times, but then again so does the kawasaki.
Also is the manual decent? The one for my planet sucked ass and lots of stuff didn't make any sense, where as the zzr250 is really nice and simple to use.
Oh by the way sorry if im semi ignoring you lot and listening to kickstart this is because hes been within a meter of one  ____________________ Current bikes: 1960 Triumph 5ta x2, TTR600RE, KTM200EXC, Cagiva Elephant 900ie. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Klause |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Klause World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:26 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
What's your budget?
I'd be tempted by a trx850 for something 'different' that's also good value per performance. Obviously a bit sportier than the monstor though, more of a SS style.
Has 'classic' looks, but I like classic looks . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|