Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


down shifting...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

thuganomics16
Nova Slayer



Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:26 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: down shifting... Reply with quote

just a quick question....say i was coming up to a junction in 4th or 5th gear and i had to come to a standstill is it ok to keep the clutch in the whole time i am braking and slowing down or should i be putting the clutch in changing down, clutch out and keep repeating this untill i get to 1st? would keeping the clutch in the whole time avoid locking up the rear? and would it also greatly increase clutch wear?? thanks in advance
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:52 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, don't "coast" with the clutch pulled in. If it is in gear when braking, the bike is much more stable and will feel better to you. Knock down the gears one at a time and use the clutch every time.

Remember sometimes you can knock down 2 gears at a time, but make sure you do it a a low rpm-speed so the revs dont fly up once you let the clutch out again - this can make rear wheel lock.

Don't worry about clutch wear. It's like saying you shouldn't use the brakes because it would wear the pads down. Clutches last a long time and are "wear and tear" of the bike. You dont have anything to worry about there.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:17 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point to add is that some gearboxes don't work too well at standstill. E.g. After you've rolled up to the light and are in 5th gear, sometimes it will be difficult to change down to 1st gear. I know i wouldn't be able to do it on my bike, it would just feel like the lever is not connected to anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:31 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what mines like. Its a bastard to change down from 4th at a standstill.
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

simon1221
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never sat at a junction in 4th gear, never plan too.

I cannot imagine it really.

I have sometimes tried to set off and realised it is in nuetral though. Sad
____________________
DNA50 (sorry) ->> TZR125l >> GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:50 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon1221 wrote:
I have never sat at a junction in 4th gear, never plan too.


It just happens sometimes, especially if you have to worry more about braking than anything else, whether by not reacting quickly enough or travelling too quickly when the vehicle in front jams on the anchors.

As for forgetting which gear you're in, I'm almost certain that trying to pull off in 3rd gear without realising was primarily what caused me to come to grief.

Setting off in second is fine, so long as you know you're doing it and slip the clutch accordingly. Much above that and the clutch slip needed gets huge. Always tap down through the gearbox. It is one reason why getting into neutral ala the Hendon shuffle is a decent idea, you can be sure you're in first.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lurker
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont quite understand the answers here.
if your say in 3rd or 4th gear doing fifty approaching a junction and you brake late it does absolutely no harm to the bike to kick down three or four gears in the one go with the clutch in.
as for "worrying too much" about braking, unless you're in a pants filling moment i cant imagine why youd be concerned about whats going to happen when you pull the lever.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the braking, it's the making sure you steer out of the way of the cyclist who's just fallen off the pavement in front of you in the dark, or in a slightly more recent incident, making sure I've got the space to escape down the right hand side of a van when a car jams on the anchors in front of it and I'm slow to react.

The first time, I was going about 55 and I was thinking purely about steering around him. Gear changes? What are they? Yank that lever and countersteer like no-bodies business is what I did.

Sometimes I'm just too preoccupied with working out what the traffic at an upcoming junction is doing to change all the way down through the box. I stop in second or third, and then the bugger won't downshift... Laughing It's not much fun really.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thuganomics16
Nova Slayer



Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok mixed opinions on this topic obviously lol well thanks for everones help.....just like to add that without this forum i wouldnt know what to do, everbody is allways happy to help if i have a problem and because of this you have probably all saved me making a lot of mistakes that others, without your advice would.

cheers lads
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I just rest my foot on the gear lever and they click in as you slow without the clutch. Only ever use the clutch for stopping and starting. Never touch it when I'm moving.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lurker
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutchless upshifting is fine but i wouldnt recommend downshifting without clutch cos youll end up damaging the gears.
Also only use clutchless changes when the revs are up a bit or you could get a bit of a crunch when below 4 or 5k.(when in traffic etc)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Clutchless upshifting is fine but i wouldnt recommend downshifting without clutch cos youll end up damaging the gears.
Also only use clutchless changes when the revs are up a bit or you could get a bit of a crunch when below 4 or 5k.(when in traffic etc)


Depends on the gearbox. The box on the Bird is smoooooth. Never crunches up or down and takes clutchless changes at any revs no problem. If you do a lot of two up stuff clutchless changes are great for a smooth ride for your pillion. No banging helmets or lurching with engine braking.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoffo wrote:

If you do a lot of two up stuff clutchless changes are great for a smooth ride for your pillion. No banging helmets or lurching with engine braking.


I can vouch for that! Shocked Or rather, I can vouch for the effects of clutched shifting on the back of a VFR750 going past the ton. I certainly got a work out on my arms trying to avoid cannoning into the back of the rider every time he changed gear, rapidly followed by trying not to fall off the back due to rather rapid acceleration.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:00 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I don't mean to Hi-Jack the thread, but I have a question of my own. I know it may seem a silly question to ask, but does anyone here forgot what gear they are in?
Or do you gradually get used the sound of the bike. If you did forgot what gear you were in, do people guess what gear they are in and hope there correct?

P.S. I don't own a geared bike. I was asking for future reference to when I get one that is.

Thanks, Bye Daniel! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

at any given speed on the XJ I had no idea what gear I was in. I could probably do a whole journey in second.

On the MZ I knew exactly what gear I was in, just because I had to have exactly the right gear for the speed otherwise it'd either scream like a mofo, or just not have ANY power.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Akiraprise
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I allways forget what gear I'm in, however my speedo does give me a rough idea, I allways keep it in my head - the numbers but when downshifting etc i sometimes count it as an upshift - don't ask but I get to gear 8 or something stupid then realise.

my gearbox also doesnt chuange when stationary so i just push it forwards / back abit and it works.

may not wanna downshift like that as if suddenly u can go (ie traffic lights) and u let your clutch out doing say 30 in 1st on a 50 then you'll come off, so best keep it gradual
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:15 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the first point, it's best not to coast. (I used to do it all the time, probably an old habit from a push bike!) The highway code advises against it for a start, but it aids slowing down through engine braking. It's also good to load the gearbox after every gear change. Block downshifting is a good idea if you want to back it in.

Clutchless upshifting - on the NSR it doesnt like non-clutch shifts in the lower gears. From 4th-6th it's pretty smooth though.

I don't seem to forget what gear I'm in probably because I always go to 6th. I can always tell 6th gear aswell it feels different to the other gears. The gear lever seems to 'float' upwards with little effort. I still end up trying to go to 7th though if I've gone through them quite quick. "What, already!" Razz
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800


Last edited by fuzz on 20:48 - 28 Feb 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marc_Buck
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 31 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:42 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im constantly trying for 7th and when changing from 2nd to 1st i ALLWAYS hit neutral and end up pulling away in N and it jus going vroooooooooooooooooooooom, its bad when you go for a quick pull away and realise your in nuetral isnt it.
____________________
94 fzr600r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc_Buck wrote:
Im constantly trying for 7th and when changing from 2nd to 1st i ALLWAYS hit neutral and end up pulling away in N and it jus going vroooooooooooooooooooooom, its bad when you go for a quick pull away and realise your in nuetral isnt it.


Saw the silliest off ever coz of this.
Guy I know buys a ZZR600 as his first bike. He pulls up at the first set of lights out of the shop (I'm behind him on my own bike). Tries to pull away but he's hit a false neutral. So it just screams up to the 16,000 redline. Instead of waiting for the revs to drop he instinctively kicks it into first. Bike takes off across the junction leaving him sat on his arse. Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.48 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 106.45 Kb