|
|
| Author |
Message |
| thuganomics16 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 thuganomics16 Nova Slayer

Joined: 16 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Claud 14.7 to 1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Claud 14.7 to 1 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dom_ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dom_ Points Mean Prizes

Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marcg868 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marcg868 World Chat Champion
Joined: 20 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| simon1221 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 simon1221 World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:40 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have never sat at a junction in 4th gear, never plan too.
I cannot imagine it really.
I have sometimes tried to set off and realised it is in nuetral though.  ____________________ DNA50 (sorry) ->> TZR125l >> GPZ500S |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mchaggis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mchaggis World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lurker |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lurker Trackday Trickster
Joined: 19 Sep 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mchaggis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mchaggis World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:10 - 26 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
It's not the braking, it's the making sure you steer out of the way of the cyclist who's just fallen off the pavement in front of you in the dark, or in a slightly more recent incident, making sure I've got the space to escape down the right hand side of a van when a car jams on the anchors in front of it and I'm slow to react.
The first time, I was going about 55 and I was thinking purely about steering around him. Gear changes? What are they? Yank that lever and countersteer like no-bodies business is what I did.
Sometimes I'm just too preoccupied with working out what the traffic at an upcoming junction is doing to change all the way down through the box. I stop in second or third, and then the bugger won't downshift... It's not much fun really. ____________________ I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| thuganomics16 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 thuganomics16 Nova Slayer

Joined: 16 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Zoffo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Zoffo Brolly Dolly

Joined: 01 Feb 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lurker |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lurker Trackday Trickster
Joined: 19 Sep 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Zoffo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Zoffo Brolly Dolly

Joined: 01 Feb 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mchaggis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mchaggis World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dan 4RR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dan 4RR World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Dec 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:00 - 27 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi.
I don't mean to Hi-Jack the thread, but I have a question of my own. I know it may seem a silly question to ask, but does anyone here forgot what gear they are in?
Or do you gradually get used the sound of the bike. If you did forgot what gear you were in, do people guess what gear they are in and hope there correct?
P.S. I don't own a geared bike. I was asking for future reference to when I get one that is.
Thanks, Bye Daniel!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Akiraprise |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Akiraprise Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 31 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fuzz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fuzz World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Mar 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:15 - 28 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
To the first point, it's best not to coast. (I used to do it all the time, probably an old habit from a push bike!) The highway code advises against it for a start, but it aids slowing down through engine braking. It's also good to load the gearbox after every gear change. Block downshifting is a good idea if you want to back it in.
Clutchless upshifting - on the NSR it doesnt like non-clutch shifts in the lower gears. From 4th-6th it's pretty smooth though.
I don't seem to forget what gear I'm in probably because I always go to 6th. I can always tell 6th gear aswell it feels different to the other gears. The gear lever seems to 'float' upwards with little effort. I still end up trying to go to 7th though if I've gone through them quite quick. "What, already!"  ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
Last edited by fuzz on 20:48 - 28 Feb 2005; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marc_Buck |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marc_Buck Could Be A Chat Bot
Joined: 31 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Zoffo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Zoffo Brolly Dolly

Joined: 01 Feb 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|