Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


DVLA Registration

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

womble7
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:38 - 17 Jun 2017    Post subject: DVLA Registration Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure what to do after doing some reading on the internet so I am after as much advice as possible.
I have a complete imported bike which has been cleared by customs and they are satisfied that all VAT and duty has been correctly accounted for, but this was done a couple of years ago and the bike is not yet registered with DVLA
I also have a UK frame with a V5 for the same model of bike.
Would it be easier to register the imported bike with DVLA or can i put everything onto the UK registered frame and just do a change of engine with DVLA?
I have read that if i register the imported bike then I need to insure it which i do not want to do yet as i dont want it on the road for a few months yet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:31 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I inform them of the engine change... No.

I'd use the registered frame though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stalk
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:31 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No different to reframing a UK bike, and why not tell dvla about the engine number change? Been there, done that, no problems at all. And the numbers match the log book.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

womble7
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:09 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing everything over to the uk frame certainly seems like the easiest option but will dvla ask for any paperwork for the engine? When I change it on the v5?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:21 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just make sure it is engine from that bike and cc is same.

I never notified them of it, 3 times.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:39 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did notify them of it. They wanted proof, I sent them a print of the ebay listing. New number on V5. Find a listing maybe?
____________________
'98 VFR800 (touring) - '12 VFR800 Crosrunner (Commuting) - '01 KDX220 (Big Green Antisocial Machine)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bru
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:50 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

MOT inspector can check the engine number against the V5, and call you on it. This leads to a VOSA inspection, before the V5 can be updated and the bike made legit. This happened to me several years ago. The good old days of just submitting a change form to the DVLA are over.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bru wrote:
Hi.

MOT inspector can check the engine number against the V5, and call you on it. This leads to a VOSA inspection, before the V5 can be updated and the bike made legit. This happened to me several years ago. The good old days of just submitting a change form to the DVLA are over.


Nope.

Engine number does not form part of the MOT test, we don't look at it, compare it, or report it, it's not on the radar in any way.

The only numbers we are interested in are the VIN and the index and there are circumstances where a vehicle can be tested with no number plate, so then it's just the VIN we look at.

If you had a problem with a number, it would be the VIN either being illegible, or partially/totally missing.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:22 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
If you had a problem with a number, it would be the VIN either being illegible, or partially/totally missing.


As a matter of interest, what happens, if on an older bike, with the VIN stamped into the frame, if the number has deteriorated and has become unreadable, can you have it, officially, reinstated?

The reason I ask is, on my 30+ year old traillie the frame has been powder coated, I had to scrape this away to reveal the VIN, which is not pristine because the frame had been blasted before the powder coating.
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Shaft wrote:
If you had a problem with a number, it would be the VIN either being illegible, or partially/totally missing.


As a matter of interest, what happens, if on an older bike, with the VIN stamped into the frame, if the number has deteriorated and has become unreadable, can you have it, officially, reinstated?

The reason I ask is, on my 30+ year old traillie the frame has been powder coated, I had to scrape this away to reveal the VIN, which is not pristine because the frame had been blasted before the powder coating.


When you input the details at the start of the test, it asks for the index and the last six digits of the VIN, then compares your input with the database - if there is a discrepancy, it won't let you proceed.

If you were to reinstate your VIN, eg with a Dremel, providing it matches the existing information, you're all good.

I should also add that a VIN is only required on vehicles used after 01/08/1999, so you don't need to worry about it at all.

It's not an MOT tester's place to report 'iffy' VINs, if it all matches up, that's it.

As an example, I used to test a 7/11 where the VIN consisted of six digits, applied to the frame with hand punches - it matched the database, so I had no option but to pass it.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
It's not an MOT tester's place to report 'iffy' VINs, if it all matches up, that's it.

As an example, I used to test a 7/11 where the VIN consisted of six digits, applied to the frame with hand punches - it matched the database, so I had no option but to pass it.


Thanks for the reply.

This is not aimed at you, but it makes you realise how easy it would be to 'ring' a bike!
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Shaft wrote:
It's not an MOT tester's place to report 'iffy' VINs, if it all matches up, that's it.

As an example, I used to test a 7/11 where the VIN consisted of six digits, applied to the frame with hand punches - it matched the database, so I had no option but to pass it.


Thanks for the reply.

This is not aimed at you, but it makes you realise how easy it would be to 'ring' a bike!


If you have the information lodged on the database, then it's a piece of piss.

It's something I've always felt a bit uncomfortable about, but then we aren't the Police and if I refused to test a bike on a point of principle, no doubt the bloke down the road would test it, so I might as well take the money and run.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bru
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 18 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft:

Heck, you are quite correct! I combined two experiences: a frame number which did not match that on the V5 (turned out to be a unnecessary prefix on the V5, which did require a VOSA inspection), and the small problem of 'proving' that my engine change was legit.

Sorry for the confusion.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...



Joined: 27 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 19 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:


When you input the details at the start of the test, it asks for the index and the last six digits of the VIN, then compares your input with the database - if there is a discrepancy, it won't let you proceed.

If you were to reinstate your VIN, eg with a Dremel, providing it matches the existing information, you're all good.



As an example, I used to test a 7/11 where the VIN consisted of six digits, applied to the frame with hand punches - it matched the database, so I had no option but to pass it.


As a small point, the numbers on the vehicle don't need to match the Database. If the Vin you enter doesn't match it'll ask again if you tell it the same number it will prompt you to make an entirely new entry to test the vehicle.

Then the owner will be issued with a certificate for the Registration and VIN you entered, then a whole process kicks in where they contact the keeper of the registration with 2 vins logged against it to check which is correct.
____________________
2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R -dead, 2016 XSR 700-gone, 2018 Dorsoduro 900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 4.51 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 84.25 Kb