|
|
| Author |
Message |
| TheSmiler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheSmiler World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Apr 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pudder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pudder Scooby Slapper
Joined: 04 Nov 2016 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:29 - 02 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
I did exactly that when I first passed my car driving license, but with Direct Line.
Four years M/C NCB as a new driver saved a lot of money.
However I never had it in writing, and when it came to renewal time, they told me it should never have been accepted. They also didnt sound very convincing when I asked if my insurance had been invalid all year.
Tesco then accepted it for my second year driving, however same story at the end of year... We shouldn't have accepted it.
It was always a nightmare trying to get quotes online. I would put in that I'd been driving 3 year, and had 7 years NCB, and it would cause an error.
After about 4 years, I asked for then to knock my NCB down to only what I had built up on my car, and essentially lost the 4 years. Even that wasn't easy.
If you are saving a lot of money, then it can be ok, and I would definitely save a screenshot of the statement that they accept M/C NCB on a car policy. When you come to want to move away from Tesco however, expect it to be difficult. ____________________ 1993 Kawasaki AR50 (In bits) - 1984 Suzuki GP125 (Sold, but still ridden) - 1954 Matchless G3L (Being restored) - 2007 Suzuki Bandit 650 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheSmiler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheSmiler World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Apr 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:55 - 02 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the reply pudder, the only cheap vehicle that I'm getting back on insurance at the moment is LWB land rover at £3200TPFT other than that it's a Fiat Panda at £3300 tpft.
So thinking it might be worth a shot if I can possibly get through aiming to get the licence done by end of September. Not going to let things stop me like last time. ____________________ CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iooi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 06:23 - 02 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
AXA do it as well and also had a discount for a cam installed  ____________________ Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am...... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Northern Monkey |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Northern Monkey World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Nov 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| duhawkz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 duhawkz World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Dec 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wonko The Sane |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wonko The Sane World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jan 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| M.C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 M.C Super Spammer
Joined: 29 Sep 2015 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fin World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Feb 2016 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| andyscooter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 andyscooter World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 May 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| andyscooter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 andyscooter World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 May 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rhys99 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rhys99 Scooby Slapper

Joined: 24 Feb 2015 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| drbaig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 drbaig Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:55 - 02 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
This is my customary insurance are knob jockeys rant.
They won't accept bike NCB but they will increase your premiums for a bike claim on car insurance.
WANKERS. The lot of em'  ____________________ yzf 600r  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| M.C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 M.C Super Spammer
Joined: 29 Sep 2015 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:54 - 04 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
| drbaig wrote: | They won't accept bike NCB but they will increase your premiums for a bike claim on car insurance. |
I've been advised to declare on my bike quotes a crash that Mrs Borg had in her Mummy Bus because the policy was in my name, even though I wasn't involved in the incident at all, she's not on the bike policy, and no insurer has ever allowed me to provide anything like that description of the situation in a quote form.
Lulz at considering a Panda when Smiler is a-scared of a Rover 75 not being solid enough though. The Landy, just...
Try getting quotes on a Rover 75, or a Volvo. Cars that Yoof don't normally go for. Picasso instead of a C4, Meriva instead of a Corsa. Use your loaf, Samwise. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| defblade |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 defblade World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Apr 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 06:47 - 07 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
I used Tesco to convert my bike NCB into car, in the opposite of poster above I had zero problems, except that the max they recognise is 4 years, and I had 6 going in. They said "we have verified your NCB, so you don't need to send us anything" and sent me a renewal/proof at the end of the year with no problem.
I have been keeping the renewals for both my insurances though as I am currently running 2 cars and I have 4 years or so on the bike-to-car side, and 9 years on the always-car policy. I want to be able to track that through if I ever need to. But at the moment, all my policies come up with "we have have verified, you don't need to send us anything". God knows what they think they're checking... ____________________ Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| M.C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 M.C Super Spammer
Joined: 29 Sep 2015 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 08:37 - 07 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Rogerborg wrote: | Try getting quotes on a Rover 75, or a Volvo. Cars that Yoof don't normally go for. Picasso instead of a C4, Meriva instead of a Corsa. Use your loaf, Samwise. |
I tried to point him in the direction of a C30 but he wants to be stupid eccentric and buy a landy, even if it costs many times over the insurance saving
You have to look at the whole picture, car cost + insurance + road tax, I resent giving more (than I have to) to insurers, and feel the same way about the government but if you're coming out ahead overall it's the way to go.
| defblade wrote: | I used Tesco to convert my bike NCB into car, in the opposite of poster above I had zero problems, except that the max they recognise is 4 years, and I had 6 going in. They said "we have verified your NCB, so you don't need to send us anything" and sent me a renewal/proof at the end of the year with no problem.
I have been keeping the renewals for both my insurances though as I am currently running 2 cars and I have 4 years or so on the bike-to-car side, and 9 years on the always-car policy. I want to be able to track that through if I ever need to. But at the moment, all my policies come up with "we have have verified, you don't need to send us anything". God knows what they think they're checking... |
Is there a big saving when it turns into car NCB (so the year after)? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| defblade |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 defblade World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Apr 2009 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 07:06 - 08 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
| M.C wrote: |
Is there a big saving when it turns into car NCB (so the year after)? |
It acts as 4 years NCB from the start - the quotes were not much different between using 4 or 9 years NCB for me when I was looking, IIRC.
Well, I have a car renewal letter from Tesco now saying 5 years NCB, I'm using it to keep my wife's old car on the road for a year or so until our daughter turns 17 and takes it over, but I'm fairly low risk anyway (mid-40s, live in very low crime area, not too many crashes (touch wood )) and the Aygo is cheap as chips to insure at the worst of times... you'd have to put the figures into your own quotes to see what difference it might make for you.
This is where the Meerkats come in handy - just play around, change the figures, see what happens to the quotes.
I do think NCB should follow drivers/riders, not vehicles, though... but that's another thread  ____________________ Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 9 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|