Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike NCB to a car with tesco; anyone tried it :?:

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:16 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Bike NCB to a car with tesco; anyone tried it :?: Reply with quote

Just been pricing up car insurance and as everyone knows for a new driver it's crazy pricing. However I've just found this online which might help a lot of people out.

Just wondering has anyone done it before Question

https://yourcommunity.tescobank.com/t5/Standard-Car-Insurance/Can-I-use-my-motorcycle-moped-no-claims-discount-on-my-car/ta-p/299
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pudder
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Nov 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:29 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly that when I first passed my car driving license, but with Direct Line.

Four years M/C NCB as a new driver saved a lot of money.
However I never had it in writing, and when it came to renewal time, they told me it should never have been accepted. They also didnt sound very convincing when I asked if my insurance had been invalid all year.

Tesco then accepted it for my second year driving, however same story at the end of year... We shouldn't have accepted it.

It was always a nightmare trying to get quotes online. I would put in that I'd been driving 3 year, and had 7 years NCB, and it would cause an error.

After about 4 years, I asked for then to knock my NCB down to only what I had built up on my car, and essentially lost the 4 years. Even that wasn't easy.
If you are saving a lot of money, then it can be ok, and I would definitely save a screenshot of the statement that they accept M/C NCB on a car policy. When you come to want to move away from Tesco however, expect it to be difficult.
____________________
1993 Kawasaki AR50 (In bits) - 1984 Suzuki GP125 (Sold, but still ridden) - 1954 Matchless G3L (Being restored) - 2007 Suzuki Bandit 650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:55 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply pudder, the only cheap vehicle that I'm getting back on insurance at the moment is LWB land rover at £3200TPFT other than that it's a Fiat Panda at £3300 tpft.

So thinking it might be worth a shot if I can possibly get through aiming to get the licence done by end of September. Not going to let things stop me like last time.
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:23 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AXA do it as well and also had a discount for a cam installed Smile
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:51 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Thanks for the reply pudder, the only cheap vehicle that I'm getting back on insurance at the moment is LWB land rover at £3200TPFT other than that it's a Fiat Panda at £3300 tpft.

So thinking it might be worth a shot if I can possibly get through aiming to get the licence done by end of September. Not going to let things stop me like last time.


So an ugly useless piece of shit,

or a Panda
____________________
Fisty: after polishing the tank with the glistenng beads of sweat from my full hot scrotum, I filled the headrace bearings with 10cc of my manmilk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:15 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiftcover do Bike to car NCB too. I used mine mine on my car when i sold my blade.
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Thanks for the reply pudder, the only cheap vehicle that I'm getting back on insurance at the moment is LWB land rover at £3200TPFT other than that it's a Fiat Panda at £3300 tpft.

So thinking it might be worth a shot if I can possibly get through aiming to get the licence done by end of September. Not going to let things stop me like last time.


National Farmers Union used to do good quotes on Landrovers even if you weren't a farmer or a member of the NFU

Unfortunatley I couldn't afford the landy so never actually went ahead when I looked into it.
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Thanks for the reply pudder, the only cheap vehicle that I'm getting back on insurance at the moment is LWB land rover at £3200TPFT other than that it's a Fiat Panda at £3300 tpft.

So thinking it might be worth a shot if I can possibly get through aiming to get the licence done by end of September. Not going to let things stop me like last time.

Not the Landrover again Smile Tesco were very expensive when I checked, the only insurer that took bike NCB that seemed reasonably competitive was swift cover/AXA (as mentioned above), think you only have to declare accidents from the last 3 years with them as well.

Can't say I found much of a saving using bike NCB though, it's probably worth it if you're not going to ride again, or if you can turn it into car NCB then use it with another insurer in future.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking a few months ago I didn't see any that accepted motorcycle NCD, thought all insurers had stopped accepting it.

I hope the quotes above aren't with a black box.

I managed to get my insured TPO on 1.6 civic for £2300 with no black box by declaring mods. All quotes were £3200 cheapest for no black box without mods and low mileage, social use only etc. I'm with MCE who I also had a bike policy with, don't think it was related though as I put different details in comparison sites.

Also worth noting it didn't matter what mods I listed, they were all the same price, stickers are classes as mods as well if you don't want to mod a lot.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:31 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Bike NCB to a car with tesco; anyone tried it :?: Reply with quote

Way 'back in the day' I did it more than once - think I did use Tesco at some point and ebike/ecar used to do it too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:12 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landrovers are mad to insure as they get stolen lots

Mate has had three off his drive


Last one was chained round the Axel as well
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also fc is normally a lot cheaper

I'm paying less then four hundred for my car
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rhys99
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 17 with zero NCB i insured my 1986 land rover 90 for £1300 TPFT through Adrian flux. I pay £2k FC for a 1.25 fiesta now with no black box, 1 year NCB and 3 points on my license.
____________________
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Landrovers are mad to insure as they get stolen lots


They also have large engines, weigh a lot and cause very expensive damage when they hit things so have never been cheap to insure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

drbaig
Crazy Courier



Joined: 24 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my customary insurance are knob jockeys rant.

They won't accept bike NCB but they will increase your premiums for a bike claim on car insurance.

WANKERS. The lot of em' Laughing
____________________
yzf 600r Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:53 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
When I was looking a few months ago I didn't see any that accepted motorcycle NCD, thought all insurers had stopped accepting it.

Adrian flux do, depending on where you live (they don't seem to like me) they can offer really competitive quotes.

drbaig wrote:
This is my customary insurance are knob jockeys rant.

They won't accept bike NCB but they will increase your premiums for a bike claim on car insurance.

WANKERS. The lot of em' Laughing

I think bike NCB should be worth double given the apparent (additional) risk Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:54 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbaig wrote:
They won't accept bike NCB but they will increase your premiums for a bike claim on car insurance.

I've been advised to declare on my bike quotes a crash that Mrs Borg had in her Mummy Bus because the policy was in my name, even though I wasn't involved in the incident at all, she's not on the bike policy, and no insurer has ever allowed me to provide anything like that description of the situation in a quote form. Brick Wall

Lulz at considering a Panda when Smiler is a-scared of a Rover 75 not being solid enough though. The Landy, just... Laughing

Try getting quotes on a Rover 75, or a Volvo. Cars that Yoof don't normally go for. Picasso instead of a C4, Meriva instead of a Corsa. Use your loaf, Samwise.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 06 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was helping a young chap look through insurance quotes recently. He wanted something RWD and either fun or powerful for his first car. Quotes were coming back at around £3k.

I pointed him towards quotes on brand new cars, which were less than half the price. Such that for the cost of insuring a knackered BMW he could have leased and insured a brand new small thing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:47 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Tesco to convert my bike NCB into car, in the opposite of poster above I had zero problems, except that the max they recognise is 4 years, and I had 6 going in. They said "we have verified your NCB, so you don't need to send us anything" and sent me a renewal/proof at the end of the year with no problem.

I have been keeping the renewals for both my insurances though as I am currently running 2 cars and I have 4 years or so on the bike-to-car side, and 9 years on the always-car policy. I want to be able to track that through if I ever need to. But at the moment, all my policies come up with "we have have verified, you don't need to send us anything". God knows what they think they're checking...
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:37 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Try getting quotes on a Rover 75, or a Volvo. Cars that Yoof don't normally go for. Picasso instead of a C4, Meriva instead of a Corsa. Use your loaf, Samwise.

I tried to point him in the direction of a C30 but he wants to be stupid eccentric and buy a landy, even if it costs many times over the insurance saving Smile

You have to look at the whole picture, car cost + insurance + road tax, I resent giving more (than I have to) to insurers, and feel the same way about the government but if you're coming out ahead overall it's the way to go.

defblade wrote:
I used Tesco to convert my bike NCB into car, in the opposite of poster above I had zero problems, except that the max they recognise is 4 years, and I had 6 going in. They said "we have verified your NCB, so you don't need to send us anything" and sent me a renewal/proof at the end of the year with no problem.

I have been keeping the renewals for both my insurances though as I am currently running 2 cars and I have 4 years or so on the bike-to-car side, and 9 years on the always-car policy. I want to be able to track that through if I ever need to. But at the moment, all my policies come up with "we have have verified, you don't need to send us anything". God knows what they think they're checking...

Is there a big saving when it turns into car NCB (so the year after)?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:06 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Is there a big saving when it turns into car NCB (so the year after)?


It acts as 4 years NCB from the start - the quotes were not much different between using 4 or 9 years NCB for me when I was looking, IIRC.

Well, I have a car renewal letter from Tesco now saying 5 years NCB, I'm using it to keep my wife's old car on the road for a year or so until our daughter turns 17 and takes it over, but I'm fairly low risk anyway (mid-40s, live in very low crime area, not too many crashes (touch wood Wink )) and the Aygo is cheap as chips to insure at the worst of times... you'd have to put the figures into your own quotes to see what difference it might make for you.

This is where the Meerkats come in handy - just play around, change the figures, see what happens to the quotes.

I do think NCB should follow drivers/riders, not vehicles, though... but that's another thread Wink
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.46 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 116.39 Kb