Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hot Oil On Tyre

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Fin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Hot Oil On Tyre Reply with quote

TL:DR - Could an oil leak from the sump cause a rear tyre to wear fast? (xj600)


A few months ago I got a puncture and was about 1 mile from a petrol station/shop. I rode there flat and bought some tyre foam stuff which did me fine to work and back.

I noticed when I got to the shop that the tread in the centre of my tyre had worn quite a bit. A few weeks ago I noticed that the tread line in the centre had gone although I had loads on the sides. My Oil was also low as I have a slow oil leak from where the sump isn't flush. Today while parked up my brother pointed at my tyre which was worn down to the canvas. It seems weird to me how it's suddenly worn down so much.

Here is the bike when I bought it just under 2000 miles ago
https://i.imgur.com/CyZtZUO.jpg

Right now
https://i.imgur.com/iuNHRBU.png
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first picture looks like the tyre is overinflated and worn in the centre. Did you seriously not notice your tyre was worn out before it got to the canvas?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that's had 2000miles on it suggests you don't often corner. Razz
Premature wear could also be down to incorrect pressure.
Oil does have the ability to break down rubber but tyres are not all rubber.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Did you seriously not notice your tyre was worn out before it got to the canvas?


This ^. There's ignorance, and there's criminal incompentance. You've strayed badly into the latter with that tyre.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, oil on the tyre will allow it to wear faster as any lubricant on a tyre will accelerate wear. Even rain. Smile

Yes, you are now in the uppers of the tyre and should be ban-hammered off the forum.
But in mitigation, you presented with fine digital images so a ban may not be required in this instance.

And yes, you never corner. Shocked
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
any lubricant on a tyre will accelerate wear. Even rain.


Most manufacturers say rain slows wear as it cools the tyre.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stalk
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if its raining, less grip therefore less friction. So less wear. Oil may perish rubber after prolonged exposure, but won't cause it to wear. Riding a bike for 2000 miles in a straight line on partworns will wear a tyre.
Just my thoughts on the subject.
You can all decide if it sounds realistic.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So most likely a new tyre and I'll be all good?

does that mean I wont have to fix my leaky sump? I've tried a new gasket and am now using instant gasket stuff which seems to be the best so far. It's a pain to undo all the bolts, clean and apply etc. Issue seems to be a somewhat warped or uneven sump I bought to replace my old one with the stripped thread.

I've bought a Conti Trail attack which is supposed to be quite hard wearing. I always thought oil would make the tyre wear less like chafing when no lube on privates Wink I guess it depends on the temperature of the oil, a bit like the cold rain helping tyres last longer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

155mph
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 17 Jul 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
So most likely a new tyre and I'll be all good?

Fix leak.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
So most likely a new tyre and I'll be all good?

does that mean I wont have to fix my leaky sump? I've tried a new gasket and am now using instant gasket stuff which seems to be the best so far. It's a pain to undo all the bolts, clean and apply etc. Issue seems to be a somewhat warped or uneven sump I bought to replace my old one with the stripped thread.

I've bought a Conti Trail attack which is supposed to be quite hard wearing. I always thought oil would make the tyre wear less like chafing when no lube on privates Wink I guess it depends on the temperature of the oil, a bit like the cold rain helping tyres last longer.


What it means is that you have no place giving others advice in the workshop. Please stop,
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:09 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Hot Oil On Tyre Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
TL:DR - Could an oil leak from the sump cause a rear tyre to wear fast? (xj600)


A few months ago I got a puncture and was about 1 mile from a petrol station/shop. I rode there flat and bought some tyre foam stuff which did me fine to work and back.

I noticed when I got to the shop that the tread in the centre of my tyre had worn quite a bit. A few weeks ago I noticed that the tread line in the centre had gone although I had loads on the sides. My Oil was also low as I have a slow oil leak from where the sump isn't flush. Today while parked up my brother pointed at my tyre which was worn down to the canvas. It seems weird to me how it's suddenly worn down so much.

Here is the bike when I bought it just under 2000 miles ago
https://i.imgur.com/CyZtZUO.jpg

Right now
https://i.imgur.com/iuNHRBU.png


Question. Did you ride your bike, knowing that your tyre looked that worn?
____________________
Riding: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer Occasionally Riding: 08 Suzuki SV650, Potato: 2011 Yamaha YBR Custom.
Used to ride: 2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (smidsy) 09 Triumph Street Triple (P/X'd) 08 Yamaha YBR (Sold)
CBT 04/14. A: Mod 1 & 2 13/04/15
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:34 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Hot Oil On Tyre Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Question. Did you ride your bike, knowing that your tyre looked that worn?


Yeah I rode it about 20 miles home, the picture is when I got home, it wasn't as bad when my brother noticed it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:42 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a tyre go from just above the wear bars to having canvas showing in 2 hours.

They can go quickly when they go.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've had a tyre go from just above the wear bars to having canvas showing in 2 hours.

They can go quickly when they go.


I bet you weren't bimbling to work when that happened though.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Hot Oil On Tyre Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:

Question. Did you ride your bike, knowing that your tyre looked that worn?


Yeah I rode it about 20 miles home, the picture is when I got home, it wasn't as bad when my brother noticed it.


20 mile upright doughnut?

But seriously, man, wtf?? With shit like this and chav who only know how to rev, it's no wonder biker's get such a bad name.

Just look at your tyres before you ride, that tyre is OBVIOUSLY not safe to ride on.

inb4 - I have no brake pads, is this due to the exhaust getting hot?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is too stupid to live in this fucking world.
____________________
Be a REAL MAN!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:58 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
OP is too stupid to live in this fucking world.


Help me out daddy Dan, could the oil leak cause the tyres to wear faster?

You'll also be glad to know I may have put about 50psi in before the 70 odd mile ride, just because I think the gauge on the pump is out. I also hit over 100 on the ride home (on my 1 mile drive of course).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I got a puncture on a well worn tyre. It deflated slowly and it took a while for me to suss there was a problem. Running the tyre on ever decreasing pressures accelerated the wear to the point that when I finally decided there was a problem, what tread I had, was all but gone. If the pressure is too low the tyre generates too much heat and the rubber just wears at a crazy rate.

As for oil on the tyre - do you really have to ask? Excessive wear should be the least of your worries.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've had a tyre go from just above the wear bars to having canvas showing in 2 hours.

They can go quickly when they go.


You didn't do 2000 miles in those 2 hours did you?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
The first picture looks like the tyre is overinflated


Fin wrote:
You'll also be glad to know I may have put about 50psi in before the 70 odd mile ride,


So massive wear in the centre, over inflate tyre so wear is concentrated in centre. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
MCN wrote:
any lubricant on a tyre will accelerate wear. Even rain.


Most manufacturers say rain slows wear as it cools the tyre.


Agree, rain cools the tyre so helps maintain stable pressures and prevents high temperatures softening the walls which are then easily damaged.
On desert roads, high speed and high temperature (Numb-Nut Steerers driving the vehicles) just fcuked tyres. Brand new tyres came back after maybe two trips (1000km) tread perfect but walls like puff pastry.

The lubricant oil or water or whatever accelerates wear as it make the rubber easier to cut. The road surface slices at the tyre as it rolls, slides and grips. Any lubricant will assist the slicing of tiny bits of tyre.

The easiest way to cut rubber is with a wetted knife.

We budgeted for more tyre wear in mining trucks during wet season. Tyres only lasted half as long on wet haul roads than on dry dusty roads.
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 03 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
So most likely a new tyre and I'll be all good?

does that mean I wont have to fix my leaky sump? I've tried a new gasket and am now using instant gasket stuff which seems to be the best so far. It's a pain to undo all the bolts, clean and apply etc. Issue seems to be a somewhat warped or uneven sump I bought to replace my old one with the stripped thread.

I've bought a Conti Trail attack which is supposed to be quite hard wearing. I always thought oil would make the tyre wear less like chafing when no lube on privates Wink I guess it depends on the temperature of the oil, a bit like the cold rain helping tyres last longer.


You will get great fun out of the trail attack but it wont last long. They have a very soft grippy compound. I got 7k miles out of Metzeler Tourance on my R1200GS but only 3.5k miles on the Conti.
It was fun but not for long.

Fix the sump you ham-fisted lazy sod. Think of the environment... Sad
What about a double gasket? (and gloop)
____________________
Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:08 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top of your to do list is: fix leak!
____________________
Riding: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer Occasionally Riding: 08 Suzuki SV650, Potato: 2011 Yamaha YBR Custom.
Used to ride: 2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (smidsy) 09 Triumph Street Triple (P/X'd) 08 Yamaha YBR (Sold)
CBT 04/14. A: Mod 1 & 2 13/04/15
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace shit tire. Recommend pilot road 4's or metlezer roadtec 01 as they do not give a shit about oil.

My garage floor is excessivly oiled from excess chain lube. Makes no difference to grip or life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 04 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Replace shit tire. Recommend pilot road 4's or metlezer roadtec 01 as they do not give a shit about oil.

My garage floor is excessivly oiled from excess chain lube. Makes no difference to grip or life.


However, Extra tyre wear or not, riding along with the sump leaking in front of the rear tyre does not sound like a smart move.
____________________
Riding: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer Occasionally Riding: 08 Suzuki SV650, Potato: 2011 Yamaha YBR Custom.
Used to ride: 2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (smidsy) 09 Triumph Street Triple (P/X'd) 08 Yamaha YBR (Sold)
CBT 04/14. A: Mod 1 & 2 13/04/15
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.46 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.29 Kb