|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Fin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fin World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Feb 2016 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:39 - 02 Jul 2017 Post subject: Hot Oil On Tyre |
 |
|
TL:DR - Could an oil leak from the sump cause a rear tyre to wear fast? (xj600)
A few months ago I got a puncture and was about 1 mile from a petrol station/shop. I rode there flat and bought some tyre foam stuff which did me fine to work and back.
I noticed when I got to the shop that the tread in the centre of my tyre had worn quite a bit. A few weeks ago I noticed that the tread line in the centre had gone although I had loads on the sides. My Oil was also low as I have a slow oil leak from where the sump isn't flush. Today while parked up my brother pointed at my tyre which was worn down to the canvas. It seems weird to me how it's suddenly worn down so much.
Here is the bike when I bought it just under 2000 miles ago
https://i.imgur.com/CyZtZUO.jpg
Right now
https://i.imgur.com/iuNHRBU.png |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Howling TerrorOutOfOffice |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Howling TerrorOutOfOffice Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:51 - 02 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
Considering that's had 2000miles on it suggests you don't often corner.
Premature wear could also be down to incorrect pressure.
Oil does have the ability to break down rubber but tyres are not all rubber. ____________________ Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nobby the Bastard |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nobby the Bastard Harley Gaydar

Joined: 16 Aug 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MCN |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MCN Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Jul 2015 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:10 - 02 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yes, oil on the tyre will allow it to wear faster as any lubricant on a tyre will accelerate wear. Even rain.
Yes, you are now in the uppers of the tyre and should be ban-hammered off the forum.
But in mitigation, you presented with fine digital images so a ban may not be required in this instance.
And yes, you never corner.  ____________________ Disclaimer: The comments above may be predicted text and not necessarily the opinion of MCN. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Stalk |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Stalk Brolly Dolly

Joined: 26 Dec 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fin World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Feb 2016 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:40 - 02 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
So most likely a new tyre and I'll be all good?
does that mean I wont have to fix my leaky sump? I've tried a new gasket and am now using instant gasket stuff which seems to be the best so far. It's a pain to undo all the bolts, clean and apply etc. Issue seems to be a somewhat warped or uneven sump I bought to replace my old one with the stripped thread.
I've bought a Conti Trail attack which is supposed to be quite hard wearing. I always thought oil would make the tyre wear less like chafing when no lube on privates I guess it depends on the temperature of the oil, a bit like the cold rain helping tyres last longer. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 155mph |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 155mph Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 17 Jul 2016 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:02 - 02 Jul 2017 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Fin wrote: | So most likely a new tyre and I'll be all good?
does that mean I wont have to fix my leaky sump? I've tried a new gasket and am now using instant gasket stuff which seems to be the best so far. It's a pain to undo all the bolts, clean and apply etc. Issue seems to be a somewhat warped or uneven sump I bought to replace my old one with the stripped thread.
I've bought a Conti Trail attack which is supposed to be quite hard wearing. I always thought oil would make the tyre wear less like chafing when no lube on privates  I guess it depends on the temperature of the oil, a bit like the cold rain helping tyres last longer. |
What it means is that you have no place giving others advice in the workshop. Please stop, |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tracer1234 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tracer1234 World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Sep 2014 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:09 - 03 Jul 2017 Post subject: Re: Hot Oil On Tyre |
 |
|
| Fin wrote: | TL:DR - Could an oil leak from the sump cause a rear tyre to wear fast? (xj600)
A few months ago I got a puncture and was about 1 mile from a petrol station/shop. I rode there flat and bought some tyre foam stuff which did me fine to work and back.
I noticed when I got to the shop that the tread in the centre of my tyre had worn quite a bit. A few weeks ago I noticed that the tread line in the centre had gone although I had loads on the sides. My Oil was also low as I have a slow oil leak from where the sump isn't flush. Today while parked up my brother pointed at my tyre which was worn down to the canvas. It seems weird to me how it's suddenly worn down so much.
Here is the bike when I bought it just under 2000 miles ago
https://i.imgur.com/CyZtZUO.jpg
Right now
https://i.imgur.com/iuNHRBU.png |
Question. Did you ride your bike, knowing that your tyre looked that worn? ____________________ Riding: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer Occasionally Riding: 08 Suzuki SV650, Potato: 2011 Yamaha YBR Custom.
Used to ride: 2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (smidsy) 09 Triumph Street Triple (P/X'd) 08 Yamaha YBR (Sold)
CBT 04/14. A: Mod 1 & 2 13/04/15 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fin World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Feb 2016 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fatjames |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fatjames World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Jul 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| redeem ouzzer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 redeem ouzzer World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Oct 2015 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fin World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Feb 2016 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Enduro Numpty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Enduro Numpty Could Be A Chat Bot
Joined: 31 Oct 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MCN |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MCN Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Jul 2015 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MCN |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MCN Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Jul 2015 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tracer1234 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tracer1234 World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Sep 2014 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kramdra |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kramdra World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Oct 2010 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tracer1234 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tracer1234 World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Sep 2014 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 9 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|