Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Help finding crash in to garden caused by side stand please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Adam80UK
Traffic Copper



Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Help finding crash in to garden caused by side stand please Reply with quote

There was a video a while ago where a guy goes to turn left but you can hear scrapping, presumably from a side stand, and he goes pretty much straight in to someones garden and drops a few feet to their sunken path.

Anyone know the one I mean and where to find it? I looked through first few pages of videos and didn't spot it. Just wanted to show a couple people as one was talking of bypassing side stand switch.

Thanks
____________________
Current: '07 Suzuki SV1000 & '07 Honda SH300i (again).
Previously owned: '08 Yamaha R1, '10 Kawasaki Z1000, '07 Honda SH300i, '04 Suzuki SV1000S, '11 Honda CB1000R, '09 Kawasaki ZX-10R, '08 Aprilia Tuono 1000R, '07 Triumph Daytona 675, '95 Honda CBR600F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:12 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bypassing the side stand switch is quite a common mod on bikes where it is an issue failing.

I had bikes for many many years before side stand cut outs became the norm and I never crashed because of leaving the the side stand down. I did frighten myself a few times when it grounded and snapped up after I had left it down mind.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam80UK
Traffic Copper



Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that was the reason one guy said his mate wanted too, on a trip away it caused bike to cut out a few times on queue to ferry.
____________________
Current: '07 Suzuki SV1000 & '07 Honda SH300i (again).
Previously owned: '08 Yamaha R1, '10 Kawasaki Z1000, '07 Honda SH300i, '04 Suzuki SV1000S, '11 Honda CB1000R, '09 Kawasaki ZX-10R, '08 Aprilia Tuono 1000R, '07 Triumph Daytona 675, '95 Honda CBR600F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the one you mean, think it was a gsxr. Don't remember he sidestand being to blame, I just thought it was regular American + easy corner = inevitable outcome.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the one but don't know how to find it, so here's another;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=UN14nwPMmrM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the one you are talking about, but this infamous Ducati 996 SPS crash is because of leaving the sidestand down. The guy admits it, and if you pause it at 0:37 as he looks down to the left you can see the sidestand still down. You also hear it scraping just before the crash.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I know the one but don't know how to find it, so here's another;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=UN14nwPMmrM

What a cunch of bunts. No, no, nobody go and help him, he'll be fine.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I had bikes for many many years before side stand cut outs became the norm and I never crashed because of leaving the the side stand down. I did frighten myself a few times when it grounded and snapped up after I had left it down mind.


Aye, I had a particularly ringloosening moment on the A5 through Milton Keynes on my first Bullet. I'd just joined from the A508 and after about a mile needed to pull over for something, so went into the layby. Pulled off again, and it wasn't until nearly 10 miles later (it's all a pretty straight dual carriageway) at the Little Brickhill roundabout did it ground out and punch me upright Smile
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:30 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I know the one but don't know how to find it, so here's another;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=UN14nwPMmrM

What a cunch of bunts. No, no, nobody go and help him, he'll be fine.

I think they were transfixed by his subsequent dance moves.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Motorhate
Nearly there...



Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate of mine lost a leg due to leaving the sidestand down on his old Kawk. I'd never consider bypassing the sidestand switch.
____________________
Current - Harley Davidson FXDB Street Bob | Harley Davidson FLTR Road Glide | Harley Davidson Road King
GONE - Honda CB500 Ratbike | Yamaha FZ750 | Yamaha XVS1100 | Kawasaki VN2000 | Kawasaki ER-6 F | Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducati stands never used to stay down without the weight of the bike on them. They were notorious for falling over, if the wind caught them and lifted enought weight off, the stand would flip up.

No switch on my enfield and I do periodically leave it down, never actually been a consequence other than mildly crapping myself. Also have the switch disconnected on the VFR due to electrical gremlins.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Not the one you are talking about, but this infamous Ducati 996 SPS crash is because of leaving the sidestand down. The guy admits it, and if you pause it at 0:37 as he looks down to the left you can see the sidestand still down. You also hear it scraping just before the crash.


Shocked Were those plastics held on with blutack?
____________________
There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Not the one you are talking about, but this infamous Ducati 996 SPS crash is because of leaving the sidestand down. The guy admits it, and if you pause it at 0:37 as he looks down to the left you can see the sidestand still down. You also hear it scraping just before the crash.

Worst camera angle ever.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is bypassed by the previous owner (as is the clutch). You just get into the habit of making sure it's up when you've been parked up. You only leave it down once but how expensive or ouchy that one time is varies greatly.
____________________
'98 VFR800 (touring) - '12 VFR800 Crosrunner (Commuting) - '01 KDX220 (Big Green Antisocial Machine)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought that would happen, I just assumed it'd get knocked back.

I've had one or two rage moments too where I've kicked it into gear and it's killed the engine before I've realised what I've forgotten.
____________________
This post is probably not serious and shouldn't be taken literally.
Past: CBR125,ER6f NINJA 650, ZZR600 Current: VFR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
No switch on my enfield

Mine has one, but it came pre-disconnected by the previous owner, because otherwise you can't start it with the side stand down even in neutral.

The kill-switch wires were also snipped clear in twain, because I don't even.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of almost similar (but no help to OP)..... but all of my bikes up until the ninja refused to start if the bike was in gear and the side stand was down. I don't know if it's a fault or just the way the zx9r e's were designed..... but a couple of times I've started the bike, put it in gear and let the clutch out only for it to stall...... THEN realise I've left the side stand down Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Re: Help finding crash in to garden caused by side stand ple Reply with quote

Raging Beard wrote:
There was a video a while ago where a guy goes to turn left but you can hear scrapping, presumably from a side stand, and he goes pretty much straight in to someones garden and drops a few feet to their sunken path.

Anyone know the one I mean and where to find it? I looked through first few pages of videos and didn't spot it. Just wanted to show a couple people as one was talking of bypassing side stand switch.

Thanks


Was that the one where he 'borrowed' his dads ducatti?

Edit: noticed that video was posted.
____________________
struan80 - I'll go first - satisfied tick 1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:


No switch on my enfield and I do periodically leave it down, never actually been a consequence other than mildly crapping myself.


Cuts engine on new bullet. Hugely annoying.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 07 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
No switch on my enfield and I do periodically leave it down, never actually been a consequence other than mildly crapping myself.

Cuts engine on new bullet. Hugely annoying.

Bullet connectors (aptly enough) down by the battery. Just start tugging away until satisfaction is achieved.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam80UK
Traffic Copper



Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:36 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now become my mission to find it. I could of sworn I saw it from the videos section but appears I was wrong.
____________________
Current: '07 Suzuki SV1000 & '07 Honda SH300i (again).
Previously owned: '08 Yamaha R1, '10 Kawasaki Z1000, '07 Honda SH300i, '04 Suzuki SV1000S, '11 Honda CB1000R, '09 Kawasaki ZX-10R, '08 Aprilia Tuono 1000R, '07 Triumph Daytona 675, '95 Honda CBR600F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:39 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raging Beard wrote:
It's now become my mission to find it. I could of sworn I saw it from the videos section but appears I was wrong.


I'm 99.9% sure it was this... But it looks like the vid itself has gone. Syndication $$$ or bawwing about mean internetz?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=317561
____________________
'98 VFR800 (touring) - '12 VFR800 Crosrunner (Commuting) - '01 KDX220 (Big Green Antisocial Machine)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:34 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 20 years ago my friend's dad died because of the side-stand being down - he exited the A13 at the Pitsea flyover and was promptly ejected from the bike and sadly died at the scene, my friend's brother was riding pillion at the time but only suffered broken bones.
I certainly wouldn't bypass the side-stand cutout, it only takes forgetting about it the one time.
____________________
'12 NC700S & '12 CB600F Hornet [Stolen by some dickless twat] Suzuki GT500 shed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:41 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the people who have had accidents because of intermittant cutting in and out of the engine due to a faulty side-stand switch halfway round a corner in the pissing rain.

This will have happened, almost certainly more times than it's attributed to, probably would show all the signs of rider error.

In general, a forgotten sidestand incident tends to happen at low speeds.

I do remember seeing one model of bike had a sidestand that retracted when you pulled the clutch in (mechanically, a branch off the clutch cable).

Older bikes used to have the sidestand mounted much further back, even on the swingarm. If you forgot to put these up, they flicked up as soon as they touched the road.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 08 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Raging Beard wrote:
It's now become my mission to find it. I could of sworn I saw it from the videos section but appears I was wrong.


I'm 99.9% sure it was this... But it looks like the vid itself has gone. Syndication $$$ or bawwing about mean internetz?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=317561

I think it was that as well. Probably saw the error in posting videos of your f**k ups, as that lad on the cat and fiddle found out.

Dunno re the sidestand debate, I've had the bike cut out when putting the bike into gear, but whenever I've been wheeling the bike about the stand has tended to spring back.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.59 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.05 Kb