 garth World Chat Champion
Joined: 15 Dec 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:51 - 11 Mar 2005 Post subject: my strange noises |
 |
|
hi,
I have just put my honda c200 together and got it running, it is a 90cc pushrod four stroke single.
When I try to pull away, it feels as though it is pinching up, and slows down, asthough there is excessive friction, and it knocks. I suspect the big ends.
However I drained out the oil, and found no trace of swarf etc.
the engine has been stood up for about 2 years, and had a rebore before that.
I am not best pleased, as you can imagine.
Does it sound like the big ends to you? Or possible oil starvation?
Any help appreciated, thanks.
 ____________________ You ain't a has been if you never was |
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:21 - 11 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
What are the tappets like? not over tight?
Knocking could be big-ends or mains. Also consider the possibility of crappy unleaded fuel, I presume it was made back in the 60's? You using an octane-boost and lead substitute in it?
I wouldn't have thought oil pressure should be a problem, I think those things use a trochoidal oil pump with is very robust. Unless there was a blocked oilway or something ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
 garth World Chat Champion
Joined: 15 Dec 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 09:06 - 12 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
would tight tappet clearances cause the engine to pinch up at higher revs?
As it seems fine on tickover, just whenever any force is put onto it, i.e first gear, it trys to pinch up.
Cheers  ____________________ You ain't a has been if you never was |
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|