Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


buying from breakers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: buying from breakers Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a spare seat for my zx6r and after chasing several around ebay and all of them going for more than I expected I'm considering trying breakers to source one as I'm thinking seats should be reasonably common (more common than fairing panels anyway!)

What I'm wondering is whether I can haggle with breakers? What's normal, to accept whatever price they offer, or to say nahh I'll pay you less than that?
____________________
"The problem with the French is they have no word for 'entrepreneur' " George W Bush
Age doesn't matter unless you're a cheese
https://www.bikepics.com/members/izzi81
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:10 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't phone them, get them to phone you by using partfinder or something. They phone you up trying to sell parts to you and it turns the tables. Its no longer you buying from them and wanting something from them. Its them wanting something from you.

Then you can say 'oh, sorry, i've just been offered the same one for £6 less. Could you match it?'

Thumbs Up
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've got it listed;

https://www.cheshiremotorcyclesalvage.com/acatalog/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You can haggle a bit, but not that much really on something like that.

What are you after it for? We wanted one for the Bandit which we could cut down, so we did not care about the covering. Managed to get one cheap from a local breakers with a torn cover, but I suspect if we had just rung them up it would have escaped their mind (they said that they normally chuck damaged seats in the bin).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can haggle. My favourite is 'Well, breaker X will do one for £Y less than you, however they won't have it for a couple of weeks, can you match their price so I can get it now?'.
That way you're not being so aggressive and putting the onus on them making it clear it's up to them if they want a sale.

As keith said, what do you want it for? Might have one that fits somewhere (from my E1 ZX9), also think Ste might have one on his G1 ZX6 he's breaking. Not sure of compatibility.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:08 - 19 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. I'm looking for one to get it cut down, so I can get more than just my tiptoes on the ground! Obviously I don't want to cut up the only seat I have Smile So I guess it is worth mentioning to breakers that I am not looking for one in perfect condition....

wow that website you mentioned lists a seat for £40! Shocked that's the most expensive I've seen yet. On ebay they always seem to go for about £25 although I remember missing one that went for about £16. I don't want to pay a lot because I'm going to have to pay someone else another £20 to get it cut down!
____________________
"The problem with the French is they have no word for 'entrepreneur' " George W Bush
Age doesn't matter unless you're a cheese
https://www.bikepics.com/members/izzi81
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.3 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 48.69 Kb