Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


It's summer time... a change of weather... do you...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ride in your shorts and tshirts?
yes
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
no
96%
 96%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 55

Author Message

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: It's summer time... a change of weather... do you... Reply with quote

Okay, Today in london, weather was an absolute beaut so i used my instinct and decided to ride in my shorts and shirts- as well as looking like a delinquent bike thief, it made others look at me in a different way. Anyhoo- given the choice of a Summer jacket and jeans, i opted to go el-surfer style. I know it may not be wise etc, but considereing its sweltering hot, would you ride wearing the bare minimum? I don't think i was the only one, a Ninja 6 rider was doing the same thing.

It was also a bit stupid me pulling wheelies in what little protective gear i had, but made it look all the more silly.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 'no' but I'll quantify.

- You'll never see me in shorts. Ever. I've seen corpses with better skin tone. Laughing

- If I'm going out on my bike, it's generally either cos I'm going for a hoon, or commuting to work. Neither of which are terribly condusive to not wearing something reasonably protective.

- If I'm riding it down to Tesco or somewhere round town, I'll go in a t-shirt if I feel like it. Though even then, I'm more likely to chuck my jacket over the top and not bother zipping it up. Civvy trousers are fair game though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BlackSheep
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 22 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No because i have seen the remains of somebody that did ,
have you ever seen flesh friction burnt and worn down so much that the bone was being ground away too? not a pretty sight!
____________________
GSXR 1100 StreetFighter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to pratt around with wheelies and leanage, full leathers are the only option IMO.

I think I must have ridden a few times with no protection lower or upper. 99.9% it's at least jacket/gloves/boots with jeans for me, ie when not riding fast. I might be tempted to ride out in jeans/t-shirt this Summer, but if I did I would ride very very very carefully, and I expect it would only be at slow speeds - around town. Maybe to the shops or something.

If you come off in jeans (and full other protection) it hurts enough, even at low speed. Neutral


Last edited by Claud 14.7 to 1 on 17:36 - 18 Mar 2005; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:35 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suppose it's time to come clean. When I was much younger there was a group of us all had Superdreams. We decided to to go camping in the lakes one summer and ended up getting pissed on the first day. Someone suggested we do a run round the lake bollock naked on the bikes so we did.
Japanese tourists had a field day with their cameras.
It's a wonder the cops didn't show up and a wonder none of use were killed, pissed as farts hammering round the single track roads waving our knobs at the walkers and wearing nothing at all never mind protective clothing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GreigR
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:38 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldnt catch me riding with shorts on as Blacksheep said a fresh friction burn is not a pretty sight. Sick Sick
At the end of the day when you come off wearing shorts you'll be regretting it for a very long time only because you couldnt arsed to put on some decent gear. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Cool Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No of course not. Why would you? Sliding along the road does not hurt any less because it hot.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way, all that changes in the summer is that I go from textile protection to leathers. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ginguar
Traffic Copper



Joined: 19 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never go out without my gear on although I think I may have to get some sexy summer gear as I got told today I look like a big bloke with my winter stuff on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same reason as bendy. I tend to wear Trousers 24/7. My legs are dull chickeny white, and the hairyness is just enough to look dirty. I have alot of leg muscle, just still loathe my legs.

Usually in summer i will be seen wearing light jeans, my toe cap boots/sidi verts, t-shirt, and gloves (more for gearchanges then safety). But if im going for a hoon as far as im concerned why not stick on some protection. But a toddle to college in just a shirt... who cares.

I do hate the power ranger snobbery though, when you are in gear they nod, when your nto... whoa no.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing people should remember and Bonny reminded me of this. Why put protection on a long ride and not a short one? It's still just as easy to bin it. Smile
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My leathers are actually very cool once I'm moving since my jacket's got a pretty low neckline and the wind can get in nicely. So I haven't really felt overly hot, yet. Last summer was hardly a heatwave though.

When I stopped in town today to get some cash out I was beginning to feel envious of the guy on the DT with just a t-shirt and trousers on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
One thing people should remember and Bonny reminded me of this. Why put protection on a long ride and not a short one? It's still just as easy to bin it. Smile


True. But if i was scuba diving,id rather be in a shark cage when there are sharks about, then stuck in one when there aint.

Think about it Wink
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:04 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going distance the probability is you're going to be travelling at higher speeds than just popping down the road to the shops.

I almost always wear at least a leather jacket. The rest depends on how far I'm going, or if the trip involves me standing around in bike gear for a period of time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:13 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never
____________________
Using a mobile phone while driving a car should be made a capital offence!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, done it once, and i felt so scared and vulnarable
i dont have leathers yet, so its jeans and another layer on bottom, textile or summer mesh like jacket on top, and always gloves helmet and boots.
____________________
www.wilcollinsphoto.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alliamc
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 Jun 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on the back of my mate's bike once a few years ago without any leathers, just a strappy top and trousers, I felt so vulnerable I didn't enjoy the ride as much as I do when I'm armoured up. And when it's me riding I definately wear it all!! (I'm only a learner)
____________________
Alli x
https://www.bikepics.com/members/alliamc/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:00 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never anything less than jeans, but I have ridden in shirtsleeves and a leather jacket with the arms cutoff. Always have gloves though.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do everything but trousers if it's a utilarian ride and not too long. I do know the risks I'm taking and accept them, usually not going over 40mph for a few mph like this. Do very occcasionaly do short motorway hops like that, but don't really like it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:


True. But if i was scuba diving,id rather be in a shark cage when there are sharks about, then stuck in one when there aint.

Think about it Wink





I've thought about it ...

What if a shark comes from out of nowhere, and you're not in your shark-cage?

Wink
____________________
Power Ranger Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm just going to the shop and back I probably won't bother but if I'm going for a proper thrash I will put my jacket on. Funny thing is since I have been wearing textile trousers all winter, I feel vulnerable wearing jeans. Gettin' leathers in the summer though. Though as my da once said, you don't need a long road to fall off.

The sillyest thing was getting a bit carried away and bombing it down narrow country lanes at 80mph in tracksuit bottoms and t shirt.
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I'm an always-wear-leathers type - I don't seem to get too hot in mine Thumbs Up
____________________
Power Ranger Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:14 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Will do everything but trousers


Do you often go out without trousers on?? Wink Razz Laughing
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am nipping to work its Jacket, Bone dome, and gloves

Anything else its the whole caboodle

Boots, Trousers, skid lid, Jacket and gloves.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per Dodsi I wear the full works of leather jacket, gloves and helmet on top.

BUT as for trousers I usually wear Kevlar lined demim jeans. These give me the gravel rash protection of leathers yet the air flow of normal denim jeans so you stay nice and cool.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.74 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 129.73 Kb