|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Scooby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooby Scrappy Doo

Joined: 26 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:39 - 02 Nov 2002 Post subject: Rebuilding NSR |
 |
|
Hmmmm... what a day!!
Woke up this morning at 9am and with the aid of a mate began to rebuild my NSR! For those of you who don't know, I siezed it up, shattered the piston, which subsequently fell into my crankcase. 2~3 days ago we rebuilt the actual engine itself, this included new piston, rings, gaskets, bearings, circlips. Easy stuff. Bolted everything back together, and decided saturday (today) would be the best day to put the engine back into the bike.
Should only have taken a couple of hours, but no, bloody powervalves!! We had basically secured the engine bolts in place, reconnected the carb, airbox, etc. Once everything was set up sweet, in goes the 2 squeak oil, in goes the gearbox oil, clutch set up, chain adjusted, it's all good
Turned the engine over a few times without a plug in to get a bit of lube around and basically let it bed it a bit. All going well. So, in goes the plug, on goes the tank, connected up the fuel line to the carb. Went to start it, bugger all. Feck! Flat battery
We went in for some lunch whilst the battery was on charge, an hour later whacks the battery in, fires up first time Left it ticking over for about 20 mins, turned the engine off, and noticed a whirring sound. Well bugger me, the powervalve is fucked
Off comes the tank, etc, and we finally get to the powervalve again. Now it's set up fine, however there's one bloody bolt that holds the RC Servo housing on that we can't seem to fasten, so we left it for today.
/me notices water dripping on floor.. feck! it's pissing coolant over my garage floor
So anyway, we've left it at that for the time being. Couple more hours and everything should be sorted. Just the RC Servo housing bolt to fasten, and the coolant leak (which is probably the gasket for the water pump), then the bodywork to sort out.
It's looking good, but I could have cried a few times today!! Should be sorted by next Saturday at the latest, got a lot of coursework on so don't think I will get much chance to look at it before the weekend, but hopefully I can get it advertised and sold soon, to whoever wants a 125 2 squeak for winter
Sorry for the lengthly post  ____________________ A big enough hammer fixes anything! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:56 - 02 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
Good news
What made it blow up in the first place? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooby Scrappy Doo

Joined: 26 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:58 - 02 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
Lack of oil. Hey wait!! Don't laugh it really wasn't my fault
My oil pipe somehow disconnected itself from my carb, so whilst there was plenty of oil in the oil tank it was pissing it all over the inside of my fairings, and not into my engine
Then, going about 95mph it just locked up on me, no warnings or anything. Luckily I pulled the clutch in really fast so I haven't done any damage to the barrel, so I got away with needing new piston/rings, etc. ____________________ A big enough hammer fixes anything! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:07 - 02 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
Damn, could have been worse though
Could happen to any bike though
Shitty design I put it down to |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooby Scrappy Doo

Joined: 26 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:15 - 02 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
To be honest mate I ain't bothered anymore. I just wanna get it sorted and sell it. You're always gonna get more hassle with 2 strokes than 4 strokes, and I can't be doing with it. I couldn't go any distance on this bike because I don't feel I can trust it anymore to get me there and back without a trip in a recovery van Purely and simply because I am paranoid it's gonna sieze up on me
Oh well, shouldn't be too long before I get my new bike now Gotta look on the bright side. ____________________ A big enough hammer fixes anything! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 12 Jul 2002 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooby Scrappy Doo

Joined: 26 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:04 - 03 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well ok let me put it another way, what would you feel safer doing a 50 mile round trip on, an NSR or a CBR250 like Goose's?
I know my first choice would be the CBR, I also think that getting a 4 stroke will work out cheaper anyway. Ok, the insurance is a little bit more (about £75 in my case, moving from an NSR to a 400cc) but I spend £75 in about 6 months anyway on bloody 2 stroke oil!
Plus I get the added bonus of 40mph extra top end speed, the better sound, and the ability to wheelie  ____________________ A big enough hammer fixes anything! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:10 - 03 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
Away you go then
actually, im getting bored of the power (or lack of) on the NSR
Its good fun, and I like it, just need a bit more power
well, it will have to be about this time next year i chage bikes  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 01:10 - 03 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
| scoobysnacks wrote: | Well ok let me put it another way, what would you feel safer doing a 50 mile round trip on, an NSR or a CBR250 like Goose's? |
Used to commute most days from Mansfield to Derby, much of that on 125 2 strokes . Think I stranded myself once with a blown engine doing that (oh, and once a throttle cable snapped but the AA fixed that with a solderless nipple for the cable in the car park at work). Spent some of the time on the FZ750 as well, and that let me down as well, plus iced the carbs on any cold and damp day (and 25mpg when it did that was not cheap).
| scoobysnacks wrote: | Plus I get the added bonus of 40mph extra top end speed, the better sound, and the ability to wheelie  |
Nah, 10~20mph max
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooby Scrappy Doo

Joined: 26 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:13 - 03 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
I know what you mean Stephen. I was bored in about a month of the power of my NSR, possibly due to the fact I have ridden a lot of motorcross bikes, and the NSR seems lame compared to a crosser.
The NSR is a nice bike to ride but just lacks about another 30-40 bhp
If I could turn the clock back I think I would have gone straight for a 400, but if I did that I probably wouldn't have found this forum, and met you guys, which could be quite sad thinking about it
   ____________________ A big enough hammer fixes anything! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooby Scrappy Doo

Joined: 26 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:18 - 03 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well, I am gonna be on an NSR for at least 1 year as it is, so i guess the NSR is a good one to be on
Although I dont think i could bring myself to renew the insurance on it, when I could sell it, and buy a 400/ 600 ( ) and insure that for not that much more  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooby Scrappy Doo

Joined: 26 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:23 - 03 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
You probably are better off just letting your current policy run out before you get a new bike. I cancelled mine and lost about £120 through 'administration charges' (righto ) and also lost the 5 months I had towards my second years no claims bonus.
If you can sell the NSR and have another bike lined up ready it's worthwhile just upgrading your current policy, but like me, I am having to rebuild the NSR so it works out cheaper (but still cost me £120 ) to cancel my policy then just take out another one when I get my new bike. ____________________ A big enough hammer fixes anything! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:28 - 03 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you wanna make some money, buy 10 NSR's from Sid Morhams in Slough for £3200, and then sell them on for £3500  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooby Scrappy Doo

Joined: 26 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:30 - 03 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
And you'll lend me the £32,000 up front will you?
You really do post excessively... I signed up 6 months before you and we are on about the same level posting wise The amount of time I spend on here is unhealthly, are you logged on 24/7 or something  ____________________ A big enough hammer fixes anything! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:33 - 03 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
| scoobysnacks wrote: | And you'll lend me the £32,000 up front will you?
You really do post excessively... I signed up 6 months before you and we are on about the same level posting wise  The amount of time I spend on here is unhealthly, are you logged on 24/7 or something  |
If i had the money, I would, but with a buisness plan like that, im sure a bank would lend you
*most* of my posts actually contribute to the conversation, like this one for instance.
Yes, it might well be unhealthy, and yes I am logged on 24/7 but not in front of it 24/7
And im back to prison, i mean college, next week, so fuck all internet time for me there
How much you reckon you will get for your NSR? and what bike you after buying then? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scooby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scooby Scrappy Doo

Joined: 26 Mar 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:36 - 03 Nov 2002 Post subject: |
 |
|
I am hoping for £2k for the NSR, then I'm after a 400... hopefully ZXR, but will consider CBR/GSXR/NC30 as well, just depends what comes up at the right price.
I don't want to be too fussy over what bike I actually want because it will mean one never turns up
I may even go for a Bandit 4/6 if one comes up at the right price like I say, but I would like to stick with sports bikes if at all possible.
(Off to bed now mate, catch you laters) ____________________ A big enough hammer fixes anything! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TJ NSR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TJ NSR World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scotty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scotty Scooter Boi
Joined: 31 Jul 2002 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigT19 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigT19 Jolly Green Giant

Joined: 09 Feb 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:37 - 03 Nov 2002 Post subject: ... |
 |
|
at what sort of millage should you be changing your piston etc??
its just my NSR has just passed 14,000 miles
i think my engines still in good condition..
i did 6k miles before i de-ristricted it so it had plenty of chance to be..."broke in"
its run on castrol TTS from Day 1
i get it surviced every 2 thousand miles.
so how long do ya reckon looking at that ^^^^
at my last service the honda guy had a look and said "youe engine is in good condition still, almost no scaring on the barrel, the gaskets and the piston are fine...your rings are a little worn but thats nouthing to worry about..after all it has done 12k miles"
so any insite you could give me G or Kickstart would be gratly appriciated.
thank you  ____________________ Bikes owned :- 2001 nsr125, 1999 zx6r, 2006 yzf-r1, 2009 xmax 250, 2012 yzf-r1, 2015 MT-07
Current bike : - 2016 MT-10
BCF member pops. sadly missed 1945-2003 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| craigT19 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 craigT19 Jolly Green Giant

Joined: 09 Feb 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:59 - 03 Nov 2002 Post subject: .... |
 |
|
i think its down to what you decide to do mate....its just personally i like mine done as much as poss ____________________ Bikes owned :- 2001 nsr125, 1999 zx6r, 2006 yzf-r1, 2009 xmax 250, 2012 yzf-r1, 2015 MT-07
Current bike : - 2016 MT-10
BCF member pops. sadly missed 1945-2003 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 23 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|