Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Rebuilding NSR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Scooby
Scrappy Doo



Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 02 Nov 2002    Post subject: Rebuilding NSR Reply with quote

Hmmmm... what a day!!

Woke up this morning at 9am and with the aid of a mate began to rebuild my NSR! For those of you who don't know, I siezed it up, shattered the piston, which subsequently fell into my crankcase. 2~3 days ago we rebuilt the actual engine itself, this included new piston, rings, gaskets, bearings, circlips. Easy stuff. Bolted everything back together, and decided saturday (today) would be the best day to put the engine back into the bike.

Should only have taken a couple of hours, but no, bloody powervalves!! Evil or Very Mad We had basically secured the engine bolts in place, reconnected the carb, airbox, etc. Once everything was set up sweet, in goes the 2 squeak oil, in goes the gearbox oil, clutch set up, chain adjusted, it's all good Smile

Turned the engine over a few times without a plug in to get a bit of lube around and basically let it bed it a bit. All going well. So, in goes the plug, on goes the tank, connected up the fuel line to the carb. Went to start it, bugger all. Feck! Flat battery Sad

We went in for some lunch whilst the battery was on charge, an hour later whacks the battery in, fires up first time Smile Left it ticking over for about 20 mins, turned the engine off, and noticed a whirring sound. Well bugger me, the powervalve is fucked Evil or Very Mad

Off comes the tank, etc, and we finally get to the powervalve again. Now it's set up fine, however there's one bloody bolt that holds the RC Servo housing on that we can't seem to fasten, so we left it for today.

/me notices water dripping on floor.. feck! it's pissing coolant over my garage floor Crying or Very sad

So anyway, we've left it at that for the time being. Couple more hours and everything should be sorted. Just the RC Servo housing bolt to fasten, and the coolant leak (which is probably the gasket for the water pump), then the bodywork to sort out.

It's looking good, but I could have cried a few times today!! Should be sorted by next Saturday at the latest, got a lot of coursework on so don't think I will get much chance to look at it before the weekend, but hopefully I can get it advertised and sold soon, to whoever wants a 125 2 squeak for winter Confused

Laughing

Sorry for the lengthly post Very Happy
____________________
A big enough hammer fixes anything!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:56 - 02 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Smile

What made it blow up in the first place?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo



Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 02 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of oil. Hey wait!! Don't laugh it really wasn't my fault Shocked

My oil pipe somehow disconnected itself from my carb, so whilst there was plenty of oil in the oil tank it was pissing it all over the inside of my fairings, and not into my engine Confused

Then, going about 95mph it just locked up on me, no warnings or anything. Luckily I pulled the clutch in really fast so I haven't done any damage to the barrel, so I got away with needing new piston/rings, etc.
____________________
A big enough hammer fixes anything!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 02 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, could have been worse though Wink

Could happen to any bike though Shocked Confused

Shitty design I put it down to
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo



Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 02 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest mate I ain't bothered anymore. I just wanna get it sorted and sell it. You're always gonna get more hassle with 2 strokes than 4 strokes, and I can't be doing with it. I couldn't go any distance on this bike because I don't feel I can trust it anymore to get me there and back without a trip in a recovery van Confused Purely and simply because I am paranoid it's gonna sieze up on me Crying or Very sad

Oh well, shouldn't be too long before I get my new bike now Very Happy Gotta look on the bright side.
____________________
A big enough hammer fixes anything!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:41 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a guy out there somewhere with a 145bhp RG570 special. wonder if he feels ever feels that 'cant trust the bitch, is she gonna seize on me' feeling?
Nah course not!
____________________
The Voices made me do it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo



Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:04 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ok let me put it another way, what would you feel safer doing a 50 mile round trip on, an NSR or a CBR250 like Goose's?

I know my first choice would be the CBR, I also think that getting a 4 stroke will work out cheaper anyway. Ok, the insurance is a little bit more (about £75 in my case, moving from an NSR to a 400cc) but I spend £75 in about 6 months anyway on bloody 2 stroke oil!

Plus I get the added bonus of 40mph extra top end speed, the better sound, and the ability to wheelie Wink
____________________
A big enough hammer fixes anything!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:10 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Away you go then Very Happy

actually, im getting bored of the power (or lack of) on the NSR Sad

Its good fun, and I like it, just need a bit more power Very Happy

well, it will have to be about this time next year i chage bikes Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:10 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobysnacks wrote:
Well ok let me put it another way, what would you feel safer doing a 50 mile round trip on, an NSR or a CBR250 like Goose's?


Used to commute most days from Mansfield to Derby, much of that on 125 2 strokes Cool . Think I stranded myself once with a blown engine doing that (oh, and once a throttle cable snapped but the AA fixed that with a solderless nipple for the cable in the car park at work). Spent some of the time on the FZ750 as well, and that let me down as well, plus iced the carbs on any cold and damp day (and 25mpg when it did that was not cheap).

scoobysnacks wrote:
Plus I get the added bonus of 40mph extra top end speed, the better sound, and the ability to wheelie Wink


Nah, 10~20mph max Surprised

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo



Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:13 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean Stephen. I was bored in about a month of the power of my NSR, possibly due to the fact I have ridden a lot of motorcross bikes, and the NSR seems lame compared to a crosser.

The NSR is a nice bike to ride but just lacks about another 30-40 bhp Very Happy

If I could turn the clock back I think I would have gone straight for a 400, but if I did that I probably wouldn't have found this forum, and met you guys, which could be quite sad thinking about it Crying or Very sad

LaughingLaughingLaughing
____________________
A big enough hammer fixes anything!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo



Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:16 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, but given the choice... NSR125 or CBR250???


Quote:
scoobysnacks wrote:
Quote:
Plus I get the added bonus of 40mph extra top end speed, the better sound, and the ability to wheelie



Nah, 10~20mph max Surprised


I was referring to a 400cc 4 stroke Keith, not the CBR250... but having said that it isn't that clear what I meant in my earlier post Confused Sorry for the confusion.
____________________
A big enough hammer fixes anything!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:18 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am gonna be on an NSR for at least 1 year as it is, so i guess the NSR is a good one to be on Very Happy

Although I dont think i could bring myself to renew the insurance on it, when I could sell it, and buy a 400/ 600 ( Twisted Evil ) and insure that for not that much more Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo



Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:23 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably are better off just letting your current policy run out before you get a new bike. I cancelled mine and lost about £120 through 'administration charges' (righto Confused) and also lost the 5 months I had towards my second years no claims bonus.

If you can sell the NSR and have another bike lined up ready it's worthwhile just upgrading your current policy, but like me, I am having to rebuild the NSR so it works out cheaper (but still cost me £120 Sad) to cancel my policy then just take out another one when I get my new bike.
____________________
A big enough hammer fixes anything!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:28 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanna make some money, buy 10 NSR's from Sid Morhams in Slough for £3200, and then sell them on for £3500 Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo



Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:30 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you'll lend me the £32,000 up front will you? Wink

You really do post excessively... I signed up 6 months before you and we are on about the same level posting wise Confused The amount of time I spend on here is unhealthly, are you logged on 24/7 or something Very Happy
____________________
A big enough hammer fixes anything!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:33 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobysnacks wrote:
And you'll lend me the £32,000 up front will you? Wink

You really do post excessively... I signed up 6 months before you and we are on about the same level posting wise Confused The amount of time I spend on here is unhealthly, are you logged on 24/7 or something Very Happy


If i had the money, I would, but with a buisness plan like that, im sure a bank would lend you Very Happy

*most* of my posts actually contribute to the conversation, like this one for instance.

Yes, it might well be unhealthy, and yes I am logged on 24/7 but not in front of it 24/7

And im back to prison, i mean college, next week, so fuck all internet time for me there Sad

How much you reckon you will get for your NSR? and what bike you after buying then?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo



Joined: 26 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:36 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping for £2k for the NSR, then I'm after a 400... hopefully ZXR, but will consider CBR/GSXR/NC30 as well, just depends what comes up at the right price.

I don't want to be too fussy over what bike I actually want because it will mean one never turns up Confused

I may even go for a Bandit 4/6 if one comes up at the right price like I say, but I would like to stick with sports bikes if at all possible.

(Off to bed now mate, catch you laters)
____________________
A big enough hammer fixes anything!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:38 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a shite deal....


i can pick up UK model Nsrs at 2600 +vat (trade)... now thats cheap
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:43 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ NSR wrote:
thats a shite deal....


i can pick up UK model Nsrs at 2600 +vat (trade)... now thats cheap


maybe YOU can, but general public cant. And £2,000 is middle market for second hand NSR's, so would fit in quite nicely.

Is it hard to sell a de-restricted bike, I mean, who would *want * to buy one?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobysnacks wrote:
Keith, but given the choice... NSR125 or CBR250???


Being honest I am not a fan of small 4 strokes. I would probably go for the NSR, although both would be better Laughing . The idea of revving a bike to 19000rpm does appeal sometimes though

scoobysnacks wrote:
I was referring to a 400cc 4 stroke Keith, not the CBR250... but having said that it isn't that clear what I meant in my earlier post Confused Sorry for the confusion.
Laughing

No probs. After sending it I did wonder if you were comparing the CBR250 with a restricted NSR

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotty
Scooter Boi



Joined: 31 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:41 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i'm fairly confident on the NSR about making long trips.
When i was first on it going to places like Tern hill, that are quite far from my house, and absolutly killing the engine all the way there and back, i was waiting with my hand over the clutch waiting for something to go pop.
But nothing. if anything i get beet MPG out of reving the nuts out of it. lol.
Well ok not that high.
Seems to be a fairly reliable 2 stroke unit.
All ive done is put petrol and oil in it...
(well so far...dont know what the future holds)
____________________
Regards
Scott
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant



Joined: 09 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

at what sort of millage should you be changing your piston etc??


its just my NSR has just passed 14,000 miles Shocked


i think my engines still in good condition..

i did 6k miles before i de-ristricted it so it had plenty of chance to be..."broke in"

its run on castrol TTS from Day 1

i get it surviced every 2 thousand miles.

so how long do ya reckon looking at that ^^^^

at my last service the honda guy had a look and said "youe engine is in good condition still, almost no scaring on the barrel, the gaskets and the piston are fine...your rings are a little worn but thats nouthing to worry about..after all it has done 12k miles"


so any insite you could give me G or Kickstart would be gratly appriciated.

thank you Very Happy
____________________
Bikes owned :- 2001 nsr125, 1999 zx6r, 2006 yzf-r1, 2009 xmax 250, 2012 yzf-r1, 2015 MT-07
Current bike : - 2016 MT-10
Crying or Very sad BCF member pops. sadly missed Crying or Very sad 1945-2003
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic sorta: is the second service at 2,000 miles then? And then every 2,000 miles after that?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant



Joined: 09 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

i think its down to what you decide to do mate....its just personally i like mine done as much as poss
____________________
Bikes owned :- 2001 nsr125, 1999 zx6r, 2006 yzf-r1, 2009 xmax 250, 2012 yzf-r1, 2015 MT-07
Current bike : - 2016 MT-10
Crying or Very sad BCF member pops. sadly missed Crying or Very sad 1945-2003
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 03 Nov 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me wonders what honda say... anyone know?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 23 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.25 Sec - Server Load: 1.09 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 135.88 Kb