Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Lack of mirrors legal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Silky
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:01 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Lack of mirrors legal? Reply with quote

hey guys

Mate of mine said my CG looked a bit pony, and advised i take the mirrors off it....

So i did....for a laugh...

Strangely enough it looks rather fetching, and i was wondering about the law and not having mirrors on a bike.

I have checked on my old MOT certificate when the bike FAILED, and it states that mirrors are not applicable.

Yes it may sound dangerous, but on the other hand, i was thinking, it may improve my lifesaver skills, which i am ashamed to say have deteriorated.

This way i would be sure to check that there were not any chav wankers trying stupid overtakes just before all my maneuvers...

Sound reasonable?

Thanks guys, ride safe.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:05 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont need mirrors to pass an MOT, most of my rebuild bikes pass without mirrors or indicators
____________________
FS1E -> SR125 -> CB400N -> CB650 -> FZR600 Genises -> VFR400 NC21 -> CBR900RR Fireblade -> Renault Clio 1.4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ric
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:12 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personaly wouldnt ride without mirrors

altho its your choice, but its a bit like taking away one of ur best defences while riding
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:13 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my off roaders didnt have mirrors.

Found i just looked around alot, been doing that for years, seems to be ok.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Liverpoolrobb...
Crazy Courier



Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:29 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

coppers rape you if you dont have a right hand mirror when on the road
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mirrors on my bike but they move position once you go over 3mph, so effectively, they're useless. Id take them off if I had a 20mm spanner available Crying or Very sad Thumbs Down

I now just do shoulder checks and lifesavers all the time. Will get some new mirrors sometime soon though, just incase.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirrors are not a legal requirement, can quite happily pass an MOT without them. I found riding on the roads without them not a problem other than not being able to see who or what is behind you without looking over your shoulder although this was mainly on motorways and fast roads where you've got more of an interest in what car is behind you. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:35 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
although this was mainly on motorways and fast roads where you've got more of an interest in what car is behind you.


So who would you be looking for then??! Laughing
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my left mirror and found it incredibly annoying in town, cos I use them a lot.

Personally, I think having no mirrors is daft cos it ruins your awareness of what's behind you and thus ruins one of your escape routes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

awj72
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liverpoolrobbie wrote:
coppers rape you if you dont have a right hand mirror when on the road


That's mine coming off tonight then!!

Thumbs Up Wink Thumbs Up
____________________
Woe to you, o earth & sea, for the devil sends the beast with wrath............
(my ebay clearout...... https://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZawj72QQhtZ-1 )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris___
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have them on my bike but I will be getting some on there as I'm sick off having to look right over my shoulder constantly.
____________________
Yamaha rxs100 > Kawasaki ZZR600 > Kawasaki ZX6R > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda Bros 400 > Suzuki SV650S K2
Bikepics page
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't live without them. The only time I look over my shoulders is before I move off, moving into other lanes, or coming off roundabouts.
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had mirrors since I last came off in January and I seem to do fine without them, I think it encourages you to look more, rather then look in you mirrors all the time.
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't personally go without mirrors, I'd at least have to have one right hand one. I had a single bar-end mirror on my AJS, which used to just vibrate like mad. You could tell a car was behind you, and what colour but that was about it. The Enfield has surprisingly good mirrors - once the revs hit about 2k, the vibrations smooth out and you can see quite well.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liverpoolrobbie wrote:
coppers rape you if you dont have a right hand mirror when on the road



most classic pre-1970,s bikes don,t have mirrors or inducators(people do fit aftermarket though). which is why they are still not a legal requirement on a bike. so theres no way the police are going to bust people for no mirrors.
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://webzoom.freewebs.com/bikes-unlimited/pic_ZX636MIRROR-small.jpg

mirror hole block off plates. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

vlf
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have my left hand mirror, it's the only one imposed by the law around here. I hardly ever use it because when I learned to ride I only checked above the shoulder, looking around like a maniac.

So - I got used to it and barely look in my one and only mirror.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any mirrors on my NSR whilst it had no fairing. I was stopped by the police and they didn't even notice Confused

It wasn't a problem, as I was used to it - certainly improved my shoulder checks. With mirrors on I find I tend to rely on them a little too much. However, I still like to know what is behind me all the time so mirrors are an Thumbs Up


Shaun - you really should put yours back on.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't live without them nowadays I got so used to using them, I went on the oushbike the other day and I kept looking to the right in hope there was a mirror there. Doh!
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need mirrors for an MOT, but if you have mirrors they must work properly. IE not cracked or very hard to see things in. I had some tiny mirrors that were pretty much useless and they would have failed me at the MOT.

Dave
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mirrors loads and would be lost without them. I always wear my scarf whilst riding unless for a very short journey, and it restricts my ability to look around a bit. It'd be too annoying trying to look over my shoulders every minute or so.

The mirrors on my Bros are quite small - Alot less view than on the CG125 - And have already caught me out a few times with their massive blind spots. At the end of a long ride on Monday I pulled onto the ringroad via a sliproad and nearly went straight into a car Shocked I put it down to tiredness, and thinking about just being pulled over the police, but it's really reinforced how large the blindspot is with these mirrors. Gonna have to get used to more shoulder checks.
____________________
Hard livin', hard luck.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marc_Buck
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 31 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't had mirrors for 7 months or more, im used to it now, if i put mirrors on i'd probably still look over my shoulder.

Perfectly legal without them.
____________________
94 fzr600r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:58 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine life without mirrors.

And for the benefit they give, weighed up against the cosmetic gains...is a no brainer to me Neutral

But its your bike and essentially your funeral, and it's legal, so do what makes you happy.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Marc_Buck
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 31 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:39 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mirrors broke, otherwise i would have them, of course i am not recommending not having them. Rolling Eyes

For me to get new mirrors would involve drilling out the bits that snapped in, i really just cant be bothered, looks better as well without them.
____________________
94 fzr600r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.54 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 123.65 Kb