Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Info on halogen bulbs please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

meyrick
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 02 Apr 2005    Post subject: Info on halogen bulbs please Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing my tungsten unit with a halogen one via relays etc. and I'm a bit puzzled by the new bulb (it's a 55/60 P43T by the way). I was trying to figure out which pin was for high beam and which for dipped beam and I am still none the wiser. The thing is, according to my multimeter each of the three pins is connected to the other two by almost no resistance (~1ohm). That can't be right can it?

So I guess my questions are:

1.) Which pin is high and which is dipped and should they be + or - (I'm assuming the other pin is a common + or -).

And:

2.) Is my bulb buggered? What's with all the pins being connected to each other?

The bulb looks fine on inspection, it's not blown and I bought it this morning. Help me get back on the road while the weather's still good!!! Praying Cheers Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fortuna
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here goes,
I don't have the pin out but will search for you.
Yes less than 10 ohms is correct as the filament is metal and therefore a good conductor. As it has a low resistance a lot of current can pass through lighting it up.
On a halogen lamp there will be one ground and two live feeds (dip and main).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

meyrick
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:35 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortuna wrote:
OK here goes,
I don't have the pin out but will search for you.
Yes less than 10 ohms is correct as the filament is metal and therefore a good conductor. As it has a low resistance a lot of current can pass through lighting it up.
On a halogen lamp there will be one ground and two live feeds (dip and main).


Cheers Thumbs Up I just took another look at the bulb and - duh! - I see now how all the pins are connected. I was expecting...hell I have no idea what I was expecting, I just had it all wrong in my head.

I can't find the pin out info anywhere, despite multiple google attempts. I think it's time to go into the garage with some battery leads and a pair of sun glasses - lol Laughing

Thanks for posting Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

meyrick
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went into the garage and tested the bulb inside the headlight unit to determine the pin out. As it was such a pain, here are my findings for any who may need them in future:

Assuming you are looking at the back end of a P43T also known as an H4 halogen bulb...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fortuna
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyrick wrote:
I just went into the garage and tested the bulb inside the headlight unit to determine the pin out. As it was such a pain, here are my findings for any who may need them in future:

Assuming you are looking at the back end of a P43T also known as an H4 halogen bulb...

Bit late, but I can confirm that is correct. As long as it's H4 you should be good to go Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

meyrick
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortuna wrote:
Bit late, but I can confirm that is correct. As long as it's H4 you should be good to go Thumbs Up


Cheers Thumbs Up I'm just about to enter the 'birds nest' inside the CB125T headlight and wire it all up Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 48.31 Kb