|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Easy-X |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Easy-X Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Mar 2019 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:27 - 05 Oct 2026 Post subject: Cannondale Project |
 |
|
Whoops! Posted this in the wrong section...
As if I didn't have enough going on, I'm converting this old Cannondale F500 to rigid forks:
https://i.ibb.co/TBbpd8rt/20261001-165833.jpg
The head tube is an outlandish 2 inches in diameter so I'm dropping in some conversion bearings to reduce it down to a reasonable 1 1/8". The original Headshok fork had seized up long ago so I'm converting it to a rigid fork.
I'm thinking I might treat and respray the corrosion deliberately badly to maintain the "rat bike" aesthetic it seems to have spent it's life evolving into  ____________________ Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, Yamaha XSR700, Honda Rebel, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki SV650 (loan) Fazer 600, Keeway Superlight 125, 50cc turd scooter |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Easy-X |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Easy-X Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Mar 2019 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:36 - 05 Oct 2026 Post subject: |
 |
|
Most of the parts turned up, and it was a lovely afternoon..
https://i.ibb.co/60q74NNJ/20261005-162302.jpg
Slight snag though:
https://i.ibb.co/20bWMpBx/20261005-162308.jpg
I had a word with the eBay seller of the fork and they gave me some money back to buy some adapters to drop the V-brake pegs down a bit, which was nice of them.
Still has a rear brake so err... perfectly safe to ride Even so, I only went up and down the road to test it out but wow, it's certainly agile! My old bike feels like a barge in comparison. ____________________ Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, Yamaha XSR700, Honda Rebel, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki SV650 (loan) Fazer 600, Keeway Superlight 125, 50cc turd scooter |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:59 - 05 Oct 2026 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have the Surly version of those forks on my MTB. Surprising how much they soak up the bumps. Steel is real and all that.
I think they're designed for 29" rims, which will be why the brake pivots don't line up
You going to go fat tyres on it?
EDIT: Or go 29" front, 26" rear just to annoy people? ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Easy-X |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Easy-X Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Mar 2019 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:17 - 06 Oct 2026 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yes, Gemini pointed it out to me that steel has a bit of spring to it, makes sense - spoked wheels vs. cast and all that. The reason for using a 29" fork was to compensate for the loss of the Headshok suspension. I think it's something like 390mm for a normal fork between axle and crown and this is more like 420mm so the geometry is maintained.
29 on the front sounds a bit extreme but thinking about it, a 27.5" wheel would be enough to be disconcerting without people being immediately sure of what's going on. I think you'd call it a "mini-Mullet"
For now I'm going to fit the V-brake adapters but I was thinking of a disk brake front at some point so maybe 27.5"  ____________________ Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, Yamaha XSR700, Honda Rebel, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki SV650 (loan) Fazer 600, Keeway Superlight 125, 50cc turd scooter |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Easy-X |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Easy-X Super Spammer

Joined: 08 Mar 2019 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:14 - 06 Oct 2026 Post subject: |
 |
|
The little brackets don't fit I think they're meant for raising up the posts rather than downward, my f*ck up Disk brake wheel sounding even more appealing. ____________________ Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, Yamaha XSR700, Honda Rebel, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki SV650 (loan) Fazer 600, Keeway Superlight 125, 50cc turd scooter |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
|