Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cannondale Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Easy-X
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Mar 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:27 - 05 Oct 2026    Post subject: Cannondale Project Reply with quote

Whoops! Posted this in the wrong section...

As if I didn't have enough going on, I'm converting this old Cannondale F500 to rigid forks:

https://i.ibb.co/TBbpd8rt/20261001-165833.jpg

The head tube is an outlandish 2 inches in diameter so I'm dropping in some conversion bearings to reduce it down to a reasonable 1 1/8". The original Headshok fork had seized up long ago so I'm converting it to a rigid fork.

I'm thinking I might treat and respray the corrosion deliberately badly to maintain the "rat bike" aesthetic it seems to have spent it's life evolving into Smile
____________________
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, Yamaha XSR700, Honda Rebel, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki SV650 (loan) Fazer 600, Keeway Superlight 125, 50cc turd scooter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Mar 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 05 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the parts turned up, and it was a lovely afternoon..

https://i.ibb.co/60q74NNJ/20261005-162302.jpg

Slight snag though:

https://i.ibb.co/20bWMpBx/20261005-162308.jpg

I had a word with the eBay seller of the fork and they gave me some money back to buy some adapters to drop the V-brake pegs down a bit, which was nice of them.

Still has a rear brake so err... perfectly safe to ride Smile Even so, I only went up and down the road to test it out but wow, it's certainly agile! My old bike feels like a barge in comparison.
____________________
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, Yamaha XSR700, Honda Rebel, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki SV650 (loan) Fazer 600, Keeway Superlight 125, 50cc turd scooter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:59 - 05 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Surly version of those forks on my MTB. Surprising how much they soak up the bumps. Steel is real and all that.

I think they're designed for 29" rims, which will be why the brake pivots don't line up

You going to go fat tyres on it?

EDIT: Or go 29" front, 26" rear just to annoy people?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 0.26 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 36.56 Kb