|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Sadie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sadie World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BikerBen |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BikerBen Trackday Trickster

Joined: 07 May 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:24 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yea, its an expensive world out there! I just got myself a ZXR 400 which is going to cost me over a grand to insure. I just take a loan from my mum as I have a job  ____________________ My NSR --> https://members.boards.ie/instinct/Diagonal.jpg
Now proud owner of a 1999 ZXR 400 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sadie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sadie World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pat172 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pat172 Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 08 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| alliamc |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 alliamc Nearly there...

Joined: 04 Jun 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:30 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I still live at home and therefore waste a lot of spare money. I bought my bike on a loan and pay my insurance monthly by direct debit. I wouldn't be riding if I didn't have good credit and I've used plenty of credit cards to get that, but I wish I hadn't now!! Money is given out too easily and so many of my friends are trapped with debts, but I still love biking and forget how much it costs when I get to go out for a ride. ____________________ Alli x
https://www.bikepics.com/members/alliamc/ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BikerBen |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BikerBen Trackday Trickster

Joined: 07 May 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Claud 14.7 to 1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Claud 14.7 to 1 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:40 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I was 18 when I started out, I worked very hard to save and pay for everything. (parents wouldn't give me any money for machines )
Anyway, these young 'uns either have very generous parents, they slaved their ass off like me, or got a loan (bad idea IMO).
Also I might add that if you're a student, living at home and working part time, you can earn a fair amount of money. I was getting just over £300 per month at one time, (although they were overpaying me) But I made a lot of sacrifices: long working hours (mainly in the holidays) and a lot less going out and getting drunk.
Was worth it though.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jay12329 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jay12329 Dr. Evil

Joined: 02 May 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carvell |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carvell Scuttler

Joined: 05 Sep 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sadie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sadie World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:47 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well, you all have my respect for working so hard to indulge your biking lifestyle.
 ____________________ With experience comes age. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| instigator |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 instigator Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:52 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Never used a credit card myself, although do have student loans.
I don't believe in taking money off my parents and never have, desp[ite my other brothers and sisters constantly doing so. They've offered. But no, I just can't. They spent enough on raising me, I prefer to stand on my own two feet. Independence means a lot to me. I needed it.
Had a 125 at 17, cost me £900, and £250 for the insurance. Had a part time job and was in college, took no money from anyone, only the money I earnt.
Bought a 500 at 19 as I had a full time industrial placement in the summer so could afford it. £1150 for the bike, £500 for the insurance. Now buying a £2.3k bandit within the next 2 months, after only having the 500 for about 7 months.
I've never found it particularly hard to get money, but that's probably because I've got the right mentality to go and find work. I also have rent to pay (left home at 17) and numerous bills, so outgoings are large. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Craggles |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Craggles Traffic Copper

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:15 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I chose biking over getting a car.
Even though I'm now considering driving lessons, I still have no intention of buying a car.
I'm in a lucky position whereby I've got two jobs, both of which will look ace on my CV, and pay quite well too. My grandparents have also given me quite a bit of money, but I'd perfer to spend that over uni years, not on biking now. Parents have also given me money to get started - Dad feels that with me on a bike he has more time/petrol as he isn't taking me everywhere. I also couldn't do a lot of the work I do without the transport (I work till 4am at times!).
It cost me £1000 for my GN125, and I hope to sell it at that. It cost £100 for CBT and I've spent about £350 on gear. Insurance cost me £300 for the 125. Training cost me about £300, and another £50 to retake the test. I then spent about £1400 on the GPZ + accessories (restriction kit, carrier). Insurance cost an extra £300 to add the GPZ to the GN's insurance. I've recently spent another £500 on a full service and repairs after my off.
Right.. I've just added that up and that's £4300 to get into biking. Take off £1000 once I've sold the GN though, but add £600 as my insurance is coming up for renewal!
I have no idea how I've managed to afford that in the last year, and still have a fair degree of my savings intact! That's not counting things like petrol, oil (which, admittidly, I've been nicking Dads ) and other consumables.
Saying that, parents/grandparents have paid for some of those bits, which I'm very lucky for!
Craig ____________________ If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| New York Doll |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 New York Doll Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 14 Feb 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:24 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I throughly agree. The cost of biking is astronomical, I can barely afford to even buy a bike let alone run and insure one.
I have been lucky in the fact that I had about £100 birthday money, upon turning seventeen and have been saving since then on. I have about £500ish now and saving that amount is bad enough, not to mention the lack of cheap 125s locally.
I can feel a bike heading my way now.
</Rant>  ____________________ "You know even if I live to be a 100 years old which is highly unlikely I must say, but if anyone mentions 1977 then a crooked smile will come to my lips, I know it will. It was the year that changed my life" - John Peel (1977) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:25 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
Although it seems a lot, remember how much things have gone up. For example I got my first bike in 1987, a small Honda H100S (a 125 would have cost twice as much to insure). Insurance was £150 TPFT at 18 (living in Northern Ireland, it went down to £53 when I moved to the mainland), yet the summer before when I was working through the holidays I was paid £1.50 an hour). Realistically compared to pay now the costs are about the same.
Similarly there are plenty of people on here who have sports 600s at 17~18. Something that just did not happen back then as the insurance would have crippled you.
I think at 23 on an FZ750 I was paying about the same amount McJamweasal is paying now on a ZX6R, despite 14 years worth of inflation. Tyres are cheaper now than they were. Same for crash helmets. Same for leathers. Pay in that time has probably at least doubled, yet a CBR600 will cost you only about 50% more than back then. An Aprilia AF1 Sintesi was £3000 in 1988, whereas 17 years later you can get a new RS125 for that much if you hunt round.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sadie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sadie World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| numark1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 numark1 Scared of girls

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jammy-G |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 Jammy-G Banned

Joined: 17 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:09 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
Not so sure. Just saying to Charlotte and she mentioned that her first job as a computer programmer in 1987 paid £4000 a year. She sold her first GPZ500 in about 1993 because she could not afford the insurance (~£500, with 4 years no claims and being 24).
Your £113 was for a 100cc bike. Few on here are on such a small bike, and at the time insurance was based entirely on engine capacity with a 125 costing twice as much as a 100. Think Scotty was paying around that amount at 18 on a 125 (so rather less than you would have been paying at his).
Many things are one hell of a lot cheaper now. My first lid was a Nava polycarbonate one costing about £50. These days I could pick up one for rather less but with rather better quality. A video player these days is about 1/10 a much as it was then. Computers are about the same price (but far higher spec now). Worst was my mortgage which hit 15% interest not long after I bought the place.
Not really sure how they work out the retail price index, but for many things it seems massively out.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hustler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hustler Crazy Courier

Joined: 29 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sadie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sadie World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:41 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Erm, the money. Work and parents. Was a pleasant surprise when I realised they have been putting money back for me since I was born.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| zaknafien |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 zaknafien

Joined: 25 Mar 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:46 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Semi-decent wage, loan and credit card's.
Now in 8k of debt though.  ____________________ 02 Firestorm. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ric |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ric Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 22 Nov 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hustler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hustler Crazy Courier

Joined: 29 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sadie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sadie World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|