Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cost of biking for youngsters

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Cost of biking for youngsters Reply with quote

This is inspired by Thet's insurance thread.

I just saw what Alliamc pays for her insurance, and I've got to ask - how do you youngsters do it?

I certainly wouldn't not have been able to pay out that kind of money when I was 20, and thankfully didn't have to.

My first bike (that I owned as opposed to rode) was a Kawasaki KC100 which cost me £200 and £60 for third party insurance (this would have been in 1989).

I find it incredible that any youngsters are coming into biking at all, given the prices now.

I appreciate that some scooters and small bikes come with the first year's insurance as part of the cost, but how do you manage it after that?
____________________
With experience comes age.


Last edited by Sadie on 12:45 - 24 Apr 2005; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 07 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:24 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, its an expensive world out there! I just got myself a ZXR 400 which is going to cost me over a grand to insure. I just take a loan from my mum as I have a job Twisted Evil
____________________
My NSR --> https://members.boards.ie/instinct/Diagonal.jpg
Now proud owner of a 1999 ZXR 400
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you still have to pay her back, I assume, although probably with no interest!

What age are you?
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pat172
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

im 19 been riding since i was 16,

my first years insurance came free with the bike - i saved up almost 2grand out of my own money by working my socks off to pay for that

then i got a Gilera Runner 125, that was £330 TPO (17/1yrs ncb)
then i got another Runner 125, that was £230 TPO (18/2yrs ncb)
then i was quoted £180 on another runner but im paying £740 TPO on the Bandit 600 (19/3yrs ncb)

all paid for wiht my own money i sold both my favourite scoots to pay for the bandit/insurance/licence fee, no way wud my mum give me a loan!!!! lol
____________________
- Suzuki Bandit N600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alliamc
Nearly there...



Joined: 04 Jun 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:30 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still live at home and therefore waste a lot of spare money. I bought my bike on a loan and pay my insurance monthly by direct debit. I wouldn't be riding if I didn't have good credit and I've used plenty of credit cards to get that, but I wish I hadn't now!! Money is given out too easily and so many of my friends are trapped with debts, but I still love biking and forget how much it costs when I get to go out for a ride.
____________________
Alli x
https://www.bikepics.com/members/alliamc/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BikerBen
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 07 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:32 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadie wrote:
But you still have to pay her back, I assume, although probably with no interest!

What age are you?


I am 17. Yea I have to pay her back, no interest, but I pay £200 a month rent which sucks when trying to tart up my bike. But I landed a well paid job for my age so I am just lucky I guess.
____________________
My NSR --> https://members.boards.ie/instinct/Diagonal.jpg
Now proud owner of a 1999 ZXR 400
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 18 when I started out, I worked very hard to save and pay for everything. (parents wouldn't give me any money for machines Evil or Very Mad )

Anyway, these young 'uns either have very generous parents, they slaved their ass off like me, or got a loan (bad idea IMO).

Also I might add that if you're a student, living at home and working part time, you can earn a fair amount of money. I was getting just over £300 per month at one time, (although they were overpaying me) Laughing But I made a lot of sacrifices: long working hours (mainly in the holidays) and a lot less going out and getting drunk. Neutral

Was worth it though. Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil



Joined: 02 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm now 20 been riding for 2 1/2 years, i live with my rents and dont pay rent. I also work. I saved up and bourght my bike, £4k, and i used my credit card to pay for kit and insurance. I paid it off at the end of the same month when i got payed.
J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: Cost of biking for youngsters Reply with quote

Sadie wrote:
This is inspired by Thet's insurance thread.

I just saw what Alliamc pays for her insurance, and I've got to ask - how do you youngsters do it?

Saving for around 6 months from slave work at Sainsbury's!

That, and a £200 child bond thing I didn't know about.

Easier now though, student loan. Cool
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you all have my respect for working so hard to indulge your biking lifestyle.

Thumbs Up
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used a credit card myself, although do have student loans.

I don't believe in taking money off my parents and never have, desp[ite my other brothers and sisters constantly doing so. They've offered. But no, I just can't. They spent enough on raising me, I prefer to stand on my own two feet. Independence means a lot to me. I needed it. Smile

Had a 125 at 17, cost me £900, and £250 for the insurance. Had a part time job and was in college, took no money from anyone, only the money I earnt.

Bought a 500 at 19 as I had a full time industrial placement in the summer so could afford it. £1150 for the bike, £500 for the insurance. Now buying a £2.3k bandit within the next 2 months, after only having the 500 for about 7 months.

I've never found it particularly hard to get money, but that's probably because I've got the right mentality to go and find work. I also have rent to pay (left home at 17) and numerous bills, so outgoings are large.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose biking over getting a car.

Even though I'm now considering driving lessons, I still have no intention of buying a car.

I'm in a lucky position whereby I've got two jobs, both of which will look ace on my CV, and pay quite well too. My grandparents have also given me quite a bit of money, but I'd perfer to spend that over uni years, not on biking now. Parents have also given me money to get started - Dad feels that with me on a bike he has more time/petrol as he isn't taking me everywhere. I also couldn't do a lot of the work I do without the transport (I work till 4am at times!).

It cost me £1000 for my GN125, and I hope to sell it at that. It cost £100 for CBT and I've spent about £350 on gear. Insurance cost me £300 for the 125. Training cost me about £300, and another £50 to retake the test. I then spent about £1400 on the GPZ + accessories (restriction kit, carrier). Insurance cost an extra £300 to add the GPZ to the GN's insurance. I've recently spent another £500 on a full service and repairs after my off.

Right.. I've just added that up and that's £4300 to get into biking. Take off £1000 once I've sold the GN though, but add £600 as my insurance is coming up for renewal!

I have no idea how I've managed to afford that in the last year, and still have a fair degree of my savings intact! That's not counting things like petrol, oil (which, admittidly, I've been nicking Dads Embarassed) and other consumables.

Saying that, parents/grandparents have paid for some of those bits, which I'm very lucky for!

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

New York Doll
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I throughly agree. The cost of biking is astronomical, I can barely afford to even buy a bike let alone run and insure one.

I have been lucky in the fact that I had about £100 birthday money, upon turning seventeen and have been saving since then on. I have about £500ish now and saving that amount is bad enough, not to mention the lack of cheap 125s locally.

I can feel a bike heading my way now. Very Happy


</Rant>
Mr. Green
____________________
"You know even if I live to be a 100 years old which is highly unlikely I must say, but if anyone mentions 1977 then a crooked smile will come to my lips, I know it will. It was the year that changed my life" - John Peel (1977)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Although it seems a lot, remember how much things have gone up. For example I got my first bike in 1987, a small Honda H100S (a 125 would have cost twice as much to insure). Insurance was £150 TPFT at 18 (living in Northern Ireland, it went down to £53 when I moved to the mainland), yet the summer before when I was working through the holidays I was paid £1.50 an hour). Realistically compared to pay now the costs are about the same.

Similarly there are plenty of people on here who have sports 600s at 17~18. Something that just did not happen back then as the insurance would have crippled you.

I think at 23 on an FZ750 I was paying about the same amount McJamweasal is paying now on a ZX6R, despite 14 years worth of inflation. Tyres are cheaper now than they were. Same for crash helmets. Same for leathers. Pay in that time has probably at least doubled, yet a CBR600 will cost you only about 50% more than back then. An Aprilia AF1 Sintesi was £3000 in 1988, whereas 17 years later you can get a new RS125 for that much if you hunt round.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:53 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Although it seems a lot, remember how much things have gone up.


They've not gone up that much!

At 20 I was working the civil service and getting paid quite handsomely for my age. I could not have afforded to pay out the equivalent of today's insurance costs.

BTW, the Consumer Price Index has risen by 89.6% since 1987. Therefore my equivalent insurance price would have been £113.76 - a far cry from any of the figures quoted by the youngsters in this thread.
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:01 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd cry if i told you how much i have spent on insurance and bikes at my age. (well my parents)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not so sure. Just saying to Charlotte and she mentioned that her first job as a computer programmer in 1987 paid £4000 a year. She sold her first GPZ500 in about 1993 because she could not afford the insurance (~£500, with 4 years no claims and being 24).

Your £113 was for a 100cc bike. Few on here are on such a small bike, and at the time insurance was based entirely on engine capacity with a 125 costing twice as much as a 100. Think Scotty was paying around that amount at 18 on a 125 (so rather less than you would have been paying at his).

Many things are one hell of a lot cheaper now. My first lid was a Nava polycarbonate one costing about £50. These days I could pick up one for rather less but with rather better quality. A video player these days is about 1/10 a much as it was then. Computers are about the same price (but far higher spec now). Worst was my mortgage which hit 15% interest not long after I bought the place.

Not really sure how they work out the retail price index, but for many things it seems massively out.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hustler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:17 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car in 1993, cost £1,100 to insure 3rd party, fire & theft and it was only a VW Polo 1.3 (more than the car was worth).

So I dont think its changed much in the last 10 or so years.
____________________
As I said to that guy with the crutches and full camouflage gear, you can hide but you can't run.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Just saying to Charlotte and she mentioned that her first job as a computer programmer in 1987 paid £4000 a year.


Are you sure? Because I was earning £10K in 1987 in the Civil Service as a Clerical Assistant!
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:41 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, the money. Work and parents. Was a pleasant surprise when I realised they have been putting money back for me since I was born. Smile
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien




Joined: 25 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi-decent wage, loan and credit card's.

Now in 8k of debt though. Confused
____________________
02 Firestorm.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ric
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:51 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish my parents would pay for me!!

i started on an Rs125 wen i was 18, paid £700 insurance and just under £2000 for the bike

i gave up drinking for two months to save the cash together!!!

i bought all the gear slowly, mates old helmet, old gloves and bought myself a jacket

that was my start

it all comes down to how much you want to ride


it gets better when your living at home and working (as i was in my gap year)

so i got the zxr4 and cost me £2600 with alarms etc and £670 insurance

some how i gotta find £450~550 for this years insurance oh dear
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hustler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:51 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadie wrote:

Are you sure? Because I was earning £10K in 1987 in the Civil Service as a Clerical Assistant!


Are you sure? A CA equivilent doesn't earn much more than that now (10.3k) per a gov website.
____________________
As I said to that guy with the crutches and full camouflage gear, you can hide but you can't run.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the Irish Civil Service. I don't know about here.
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.78 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.87 Kb