|
|
| Author |
Message |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:56 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: New or Old? |
 |
|
Inspired by a discussion in chat last night.
Is it important to you that you have a shiny new all-singing all-dancing latest model/fashion bike, even if you can't really afford one, or would you settle for just any old bike as long as it was mechanically sound and got you where you wanted to go?
All our bikes are at least 10 years old, but they are well-maintained by the other half and we've never paid more than £1000 for one - most of them (there are 14) have been picked up for less than half that, and some of them haven't cost us anything. This means that in theory we both have one "main" bike and at least one roadworthy spare, and himself also has several tinkering projects on the go.
I suppose if we were to flog them all off we would probably make enough to buy at least one brand new bike, but tbh that seems like a bit of a waste to me.
So, do cosmetics and fashion count? Would you rip the piss out of me at a meet for turning up on my scruffy old bike with missing sidepanels and a ripped seat that cost me £500, and will keep pace with your latest-model shiny thing that cost you 3 grand?
Or would you be thinking well at least she's out & riding a bike, instead of sat at home on the Net just talking about it, good on her? ____________________ Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sadie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sadie World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:00 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I generally buy good condition second hand with 1-2 previous owners.
I have ridden really scruffy bikes (when I was poorer) and would say that a scruffy working bike is better than no bike at all.
I probably wouldn't buy a brand big bike, because there are always so many born agains who spend the money and then give up biking and sell the nearly news to me for much less money!
It would have to be something really special to make me spend on a new bike. ____________________ With experience comes age. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:07 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Fashion can go itself.
What matters to me is that I like it. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Will87 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Will87 Trackday Trickster
Joined: 20 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:07 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have never had a new bike. My bikes have been 1980s or older, all not very fast due to a very stupid restriction.
My project if i can start it will kick ass though . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| instigator |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 instigator Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:09 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well, lets put it this way - I don't think the depreciation in buying a new bike is worth the satisfaction of having a enw bike so it's always "older" bikes for me.
The way newer bikes are going, I prefer the old school look. Just ask bugsy. He know's I'm an nostalgic old git me.
I prefer an old balance of performance and looks. I wouldn't buy a bike if I didn't find it looked good. Whether people think that my bike is ugly, thats up to them, I like the looks of it. So, who really defines "old bike" when we all have different tastes in bikes.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:10 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
To an extent anything. I do like to have a fairly tidy bike so would land up buying parts to replace missing or badly damaged panels, but on a normal bike a few scratches do not bother me that much.
The bike I am currently doing most of my miles on is a 13 year old FZR600 with 40k on the clocks and some scuffs on the n/s. Few bits to sort out as well, but to be honest in a lot of ways I enjoy it because it was so cheap.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Adam_P |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Adam_P World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Jan 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mattsmith95 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mattsmith95 Traffic Copper
Joined: 03 Oct 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:18 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Personally, you'll get more from me. I'll leave the idea of having the latest, greatest, this-year's-colours to the power rangers. I've bought two bikes new, the GT550 and the Bullet, both for the same reason - I wanted to ensure that no-one else had had a chance to screw the engine up. The other bikes I've had were all mechanically sound, all somewhere between 10 and 35 years old. ____________________ Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet
[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581] |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:28 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've owned a collection of cheap 10 year old+ bikes, largely bought for around a grand.
For the most part they have been troublesome. Old bikes have problems, electrics give up and bits get worn out.
This time I went a bit newer. About a grand would have got me an old FZ750, very early FZR1000, early ugly CBR600 etc. With any of these I'd expect to spend a couple of hundred quid on some tyres, suspension, bushes and bearings etc, likely more, and there would always be a job needing doing.
For £1600 I bought a 99 model SV650, which doesn't need these things doing and doesn't have niggly problems. It also goes further between services and uses tyres that can be bought relatively cheaply in pair deals, instead of trying to buy a 16 inch front and an 18 inch rear in something vaguely sticky and matched.
So personally I think trying to run old bikes is just a false economy. Bike parts aren't cheap, and when a modern bike was only 500 odd quid more it made a lot more sense to spend some more and buy something that works. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| conpants |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 conpants Spanner Monkey
Joined: 20 May 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ric |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ric Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 22 Nov 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| crm250 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 crm250 Scooby Slapper

Joined: 13 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fruit'n'nut |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fruit'n'nut Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 11 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:01 - 24 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have a bike which I bought new at a heavy discount (Suzuki selling off the blue/white K3 600s at the end of 2003) but I'm planning on keeping it until it blows up or disintegrates - my answer to the question is "yes, I'd like to have a fairly new, but yes, I'd settle for anything"  ____________________ Power Ranger  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bish777 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bish777 World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Nov 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Motkram |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Motkram Scooby Slapper

Joined: 15 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lilredmachine |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lilredmachine World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| satans_BIG_helper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 satans_BIG_helper Nearly there...
Joined: 28 Dec 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:20 - 25 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
being fashionable F**k off.... i buy what i like (and can afford) but i dont like up to date bikes they r too tarty imho and there aint as much skill in going fast and showing off as there is with say a 1980's sports bike....
then again i aint really into sports bikes.... hence the GPZ 750 (if my fork springs n seals ever arrive)  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bazza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bazza World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:51 - 25 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
In the end, it's all down to you getting something you can afford and getting the results you want out of it.  ____________________ "That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| distortion |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 distortion Nearly there...

Joined: 08 Mar 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:28 - 25 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Dont think i would ever buy a new bike ( unless i won millions ). You loose too much i think to justify it. I rode round on a Naked nsr 125 for about 6 months ( see pic below). Never once got pulled by the police, although i did have a heated argument with a police officer about the legality of it. He stood on the right hand side and said he could do me for having no tax. To which i pointed out that the tax disc sits on the left side infront of the engine by law. Then there was the case of it had no indicators on the front .. to which i pointed out no indicators on the back so it wasn't a problem. He wasn't impressed  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iCraig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iCraig World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|