Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New or Old?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:56 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: New or Old? Reply with quote

Inspired by a discussion in chat last night.

Is it important to you that you have a shiny new all-singing all-dancing latest model/fashion bike, even if you can't really afford one, or would you settle for just any old bike as long as it was mechanically sound and got you where you wanted to go?

All our bikes are at least 10 years old, but they are well-maintained by the other half and we've never paid more than £1000 for one - most of them (there are 14) have been picked up for less than half that, and some of them haven't cost us anything. This means that in theory we both have one "main" bike and at least one roadworthy spare, and himself also has several tinkering projects on the go.

I suppose if we were to flog them all off we would probably make enough to buy at least one brand new bike, but tbh that seems like a bit of a waste to me.

So, do cosmetics and fashion count? Would you rip the piss out of me at a meet for turning up on my scruffy old bike with missing sidepanels and a ripped seat that cost me £500, and will keep pace with your latest-model shiny thing that cost you 3 grand?

Or would you be thinking well at least she's out & riding a bike, instead of sat at home on the Net just talking about it, good on her?
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally buy good condition second hand with 1-2 previous owners.

I have ridden really scruffy bikes (when I was poorer) and would say that a scruffy working bike is better than no bike at all.

I probably wouldn't buy a brand big bike, because there are always so many born agains who spend the money and then give up biking and sell the nearly news to me for much less money! Laughing

It would have to be something really special to make me spend on a new bike.
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fashion can go Middle Finger itself.

What matters to me is that I like it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Will87
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a new bike. My bikes have been 1980s or older, all not very fast due to a very stupid restriction.

My project if i can start it will kick ass though Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lets put it this way - I don't think the depreciation in buying a new bike is worth the satisfaction of having a enw bike so it's always "older" bikes for me.

The way newer bikes are going, I prefer the old school look. Just ask bugsy. He know's I'm an nostalgic old git me. Smile

I prefer an old balance of performance and looks. I wouldn't buy a bike if I didn't find it looked good. Whether people think that my bike is ugly, thats up to them, I like the looks of it. So, who really defines "old bike" when we all have different tastes in bikes. Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

To an extent anything. I do like to have a fairly tidy bike so would land up buying parts to replace missing or badly damaged panels, but on a normal bike a few scratches do not bother me that much.

The bike I am currently doing most of my miles on is a 13 year old FZR600 with 40k on the clocks and some scuffs on the n/s. Few bits to sort out as well, but to be honest in a lot of ways I enjoy it because it was so cheap.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: New or Old? Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
Is it important to you that you have a shiny new all-singing all-dancing latest model/fashion bike?


I bought mine brand new, but it wasn't a fashion statement (I don't think you could call what I ride fashionable anyway!) It was because I wanted something that only I had owned and that I knew what its history was/is.

babyyam wrote:

So, do cosmetics and fashion count? Would you rip the piss out of me at a meet for turning up on my scruffy old bike with missing sidepanels and a ripped seat that cost me £500, and will keep pace with your latest-model shiny thing that cost you 3 grand?

Or would you be thinking well at least she's out & riding a bike, instead of sat at home on the Net just talking about it, good on her?


The latter, anyone who has got off their arse and got their license, got a bike and is riding it is ok in my book. My cousin keeps saying that he's going to get his test passed, still hasn't got round to it yet though, will have to keep pressing him.
____________________
Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP Sad
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: New or Old? Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
So, do cosmetics and fashion count? Would you rip the piss out of me at a meet for turning up on my scruffy old bike with missing sidepanels and a ripped seat that cost me £500, and will keep pace with your latest-model shiny thing that cost you 3 grand?


You haven't seen G's drive have you? Smile

(thats a no @ piss ripping BTW Wink )
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.


Last edited by MarJay on 13:18 - 24 Apr 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to own good condition bikes, mainly for company image, both my CB250's are fine and so is the Rebel I bought a while ago. I only buy my bikes from one bike shop and always second hand.

When I bought the second CB250 which at the time had only about 2000 miles on the clock I couldn't really afford it but I needed to have it for when the older T-reg wears out. As CB250's are out of production it was worth getting hold of a good one if possible.

At the moment I have three good bikes for despatching, I have my eye on the new Yamaha enticer which is only a 125 but perfect for my needs but would only grab a second hand one. But with luck I will not need another bike for another 2 years unless I trash one.

I only buy bikes that I feel that are perfect for despatching, if you can't put a top box on it, I don't want it!!


Last edited by mattsmith95 on 13:18 - 24 Apr 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, you'll get more Thumbs Up from me. I'll leave the idea of having the latest, greatest, this-year's-colours to the power rangers. I've bought two bikes new, the GT550 and the Bullet, both for the same reason - I wanted to ensure that no-one else had had a chance to screw the engine up. The other bikes I've had were all mechanically sound, all somewhere between 10 and 35 years old.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a collection of cheap 10 year old+ bikes, largely bought for around a grand.

For the most part they have been troublesome. Old bikes have problems, electrics give up and bits get worn out.

This time I went a bit newer. About a grand would have got me an old FZ750, very early FZR1000, early ugly CBR600 etc. With any of these I'd expect to spend a couple of hundred quid on some tyres, suspension, bushes and bearings etc, likely more, and there would always be a job needing doing.

For £1600 I bought a 99 model SV650, which doesn't need these things doing and doesn't have niggly problems. It also goes further between services and uses tyres that can be bought relatively cheaply in pair deals, instead of trying to buy a 16 inch front and an 18 inch rear in something vaguely sticky and matched.

So personally I think trying to run old bikes is just a false economy. Bike parts aren't cheap, and when a modern bike was only 500 odd quid more it made a lot more sense to spend some more and buy something that works.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

conpants
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i went bike shopping i had £1500 in my pocket (not literally) i looked at a T reg gs500 for 1399 .. was in reasonable condition, not really loved but pretty good .. 32000 miles i think

then i looked at a L reg cb500 .. better bike in reviews and condition wise about the same as the T reg gs .. if not better actually itr had just had a service and had full service history since 1994 all the way through the book till 2002 then after that it carried on on seperate pieces of paper.. only problem with it is the chrome uder the light at the front has corroded and the tank has a ding in it . but for £825 i couldn say no.. and it has 63000 on it too..

i like to think i made the right choice
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not spent more than £425 on a bike yet, and I've had 4.

The newest being 11 years old, all the others are 15 years old.

With my calibre of riding as long as it's legal it's ok by me, I don't mind if I run the bike into the ground. My bikes are pretty enough for me to be proud of it, and I'm a good enough rider to get the maximum out of them.

I don't see why I'd want a new bike, other than for tart factor. I don't care if the previous person thrashed it, I'm going to do the same. And at this price, I don't care if I blow it up, disposable motoring.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ric
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 3 bikes

i go for looks really so kinda fashion but i dont pay silly money cos i dont have it, but id rather an older bike thats looks nice

im holdin on to my 97 zxr400 until the now new zx6r become 3-4 years old and in my price range
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

crm250
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently have 9 and the latest one is 15 years old and was dearer to buy than most new 1000cc superbikes.
sod fashion i buy what appeals to me and 100 bhp for the road i am more than happy with so long as it handles.
this one has a bit of pedigree about it and even using it shouldnt de value either.

Oh, its a RC30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:01 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bike which I bought new at a heavy discount (Suzuki selling off the blue/white K3 600s at the end of 2003) but I'm planning on keeping it until it blows up or disintegrates - my answer to the question is "yes, I'd like to have a fairly new, but yes, I'd settle for anything" Smile
____________________
Power Ranger Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bish777
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:37 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i could afford to buy new i would (nice new GSXR750 *slobber*)

but im poor and i cant, so i have a good old GSXR1100.

I have bought new, but that was a 125 and the MZ so werent the most exciting and were cheap!
____________________
GSXR1100J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Motkram
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Is it important to you that you have a shiny new all-singing all-dancing latest model/fashion bike, even if you can't really afford one, or would you settle for just any old bike as long as it was mechanically sound and got you where you wanted to go


Slightly biased question?

I don't really give two hoots about what anyone thinks about me. If I could afford a brand new bike and more importantly could afford the depriciation; then yes, why not?
But to answer your question, no it is not important to me to have a fashionable bike. Not to say I wouldn't though.
Horses for courses I spose.
____________________
Part-time GSXR1000 pilot>Micron Serpert system+K&N, PC111, Sigma slipper clutch, Brembo m/c+Galfer discs, Gilles rearsets, Translogic Quickshifter.

GP125>GSF400>VFR400NC30>YZF600R>YZFR1(1998)+KLR250>YZFR1(2003)>CBR900RRY>YZFR1(2002)>GSXR1000K1+RGV250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:11 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newestbike i've bought is '03, though that was in poor nick and cost £600. But on the other hand it now looks great, so I think it was a bit of a bargain.
____________________
Bikes: too many, too much for one man to maintain anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:39 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkR1 wrote:


Slightly biased question?



? Not sure I understand what you mean by that Mark?

Do you mean I'm prejudiced in favour of old bikes because that's what I have?

What I was trying to find out was if it matters to you what I ride, and would you treat me differently because of it? And how you feel about your own bike, do you have to have the latest make or model or are you happy just to have a bike?

I love riding my bike. Most of the places go on it, it barely draws a second glance, despite it being old & a bit scruffy. But I think have seen comments from people on this forum that make me think that I could be made to feel uncomfortable if I turned up at a meet on it. I was trying to find out if this is actually the case, or I am just being paranoid!
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

satans_BIG_helper
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:20 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

being fashionable Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing F**k off.... i buy what i like (and can afford) but i dont like up to date bikes they r too tarty imho and there aint as much skill in going fast and showing off as there is with say a 1980's sports bike....


then again i aint really into sports bikes.... hence the GPZ 750 (if my fork springs n seals ever arrive) Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end, it's all down to you getting something you can afford and getting the results you want out of it. Thumbs Up
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

distortion
Nearly there...



Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think i would ever buy a new bike ( unless i won millions ). You loose too much i think to justify it. I rode round on a Naked nsr 125 for about 6 months ( see pic below). Never once got pulled by the police, although i did have a heated argument with a police officer about the legality of it. He stood on the right hand side and said he could do me for having no tax. To which i pointed out that the tax disc sits on the left side infront of the engine by law. Then there was the case of it had no indicators on the front .. to which i pointed out no indicators on the back so it wasn't a problem. He wasn't impressed Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest it really doesn't bother me, sure its nice to ride a new bike and be the first owner, and you get to break it in and look after it, but any bike old or new is still a bike.

My previous bike was 15 years old and very reliable, and only surcummed to corrosion hence why it was replaced with a bike 5 years its youth. My current bike is the biggest unreliable heap of crap ever so, at the moment I am looking a for a cheap hack to get me on for abit and if its old and tatty but reliable it bothers me not!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an issue with buying old bikes, my first bike was an old and fairly ugly 89 TZR, then I bought an 89 FZR and then an 89 ZXR. Since then my bikes have been 95, 96, 98 and 97 models.

I won't spend beyond my means, if I'd have to borrow money to buy a bike then I wouldn't buy it, so there'll be no 2005 R1 for me. Reasons I'd like a 2005 R1 are because they're gorgeous (I like the looks, just because it happens to be the 2004/5 design I like most doesn't mean im being fasion conscious) and are awesome to ride. If I was to get another Fireblade however, I'd most likely go for an old one (94-99) because I think they look better than modern Blades and I prefer the engines.

I buy what I like not what I think other ppl will like, though there are a lot of ppl who do the latter.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.55 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.05 Kb