|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Craggles |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Craggles Traffic Copper

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:32 - 01 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
Might be if the oil is VERY hot, but I would doubt it.
Years ago I killed a GPZ500 engine which had low oil pressure due to a failed O ring in the sump (oil pump pushes oil through some oilways in the sump plate), which was only localised. The oil light occasionally came on at idle, but disappeared straight away with any revs.
As such I would suggest getting an oil pressure tester and checking the true oil pressure.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mchaggis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mchaggis World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:34 - 01 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I presume it's an oil pressure light? If you're at tickover and you're virtually letting the engine stall, the oil pump will be being driven really slowly so the oil pressure will fall. When you're riding you'll always be running the engine fast enough for the oil pressure to keep high. At least that's how I see it.
As to why it should flicker with a bit of throttle in neutral, that's beyond me.  ____________________ I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RealNinja |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RealNinja World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Mar 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:49 - 01 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I assume you have checked the oil level (sorry to sound obvious, but you never know, and you haven't said that you have....)
My ZX6R kept flickering the oil light on when accelerating/braking hard, but it turns out that it was burning a little bit of oil all the time and I was low.
Kawasaki's don't have a low oil light, they have an oil pressure light, and when it comes on, it aint good news......I have two bottom end destructions to my name with the ZX6R  ____________________ You will become my force of retribution. Where you tread, doom will follow. Go now and claim your destiny |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iCraig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iCraig World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Craggles |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Craggles Traffic Copper

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:35 - 02 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cheers for the replies.
It's possible it could have been very hot, as I checked the coolant yesterday and the container was nearly empty . That's been topped up now. I promise I _WILL_ be out there every weekend checking it along with the Oil.
Also changed the Oil so I know for sure there is the right ammount in there.
Bike seems to run so much better after doing all the little checks.
I'm going to keep an eye on the light - if it keeps happening I'll look at getting the pressure tested/the switch replaced.
Cheers,
Craig ____________________ If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|