Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Oil Light

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Oil Light Reply with quote

Hiya,

Yesterday I came in from a ride and pulled into my garage. I had a bit of bother finding neutral so the engine heated up a little whilst I was trying to find this mysterious gear - it was already quite warm and I noticed the fan kicked in. (Thats just extra information to the real question)

I noticed that if I were to release the clutch to biting point, the oil warning light would breifly flicker. Also, whilst in neutral if I opened the throttle everso slightly the light would also flicker breifly.

I'm hoping to change the oil in the next few days anyway, but should I be worried about this. It hasn't been flickering whilst i've been going along, nor does it stay on. I'm guessing it could be something to do with the engine just being rather warm and having no real air flow?

This is on the '96 GPZ500S.

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Might be if the oil is VERY hot, but I would doubt it.

Years ago I killed a GPZ500 engine which had low oil pressure due to a failed O ring in the sump (oil pump pushes oil through some oilways in the sump plate), which was only localised. The oil light occasionally came on at idle, but disappeared straight away with any revs.

As such I would suggest getting an oil pressure tester and checking the true oil pressure.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume it's an oil pressure light? If you're at tickover and you're virtually letting the engine stall, the oil pump will be being driven really slowly so the oil pressure will fall. When you're riding you'll always be running the engine fast enough for the oil pressure to keep high. At least that's how I see it.

As to why it should flicker with a bit of throttle in neutral, that's beyond me. Smile
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RealNinja
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:49 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you have checked the oil level (sorry to sound obvious, but you never know, and you haven't said that you have....)

My ZX6R kept flickering the oil light on when accelerating/braking hard, but it turns out that it was burning a little bit of oil all the time and I was low.

Kawasaki's don't have a low oil light, they have an oil pressure light, and when it comes on, it aint good news......I have two bottom end destructions to my name with the ZX6R Embarassed
____________________
You will become my force of retribution. Where you tread, doom will follow. Go now and claim your destiny
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GPZ started to do the same, only at idle at lights and stuff, any revs would see it go off, the dealer replaced the oil pressure switch and its been fine ever since.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies.

It's possible it could have been very hot, as I checked the coolant yesterday and the container was nearly empty Embarassed Embarassed. That's been topped up now. I promise I _WILL_ be out there every weekend checking it along with the Oil.

Also changed the Oil so I know for sure there is the right ammount in there.

Bike seems to run so much better after doing all the little checks.

I'm going to keep an eye on the light - if it keeps happening I'll look at getting the pressure tested/the switch replaced.

Cheers,

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 1.24 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 50.44 Kb