Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Missed chance!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dave-O
Nova Slayer



Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Missed chance! Reply with quote

I went to a bike meet last week that I usually attend every summer and had a mate from work come along on his R1. On the way back he motioned to me to pull over on this long straight.

He then said to me "do you want a go on the R1" I was totally stunned, he adores that bike and I ride a GS500f, the last thing I expected was that. What was my reply, to my own surprise I said no thanks, what the f"%k was I thinking, one half of me was saying yes yes yes, the other was saying, what if you drop it etc.

Just after we set off again, I was calling myself names and wondering what the f@%k I was thinking saying no. Even though his bike is insured for any rider, I would never be able to live with myself if I did drop it because knowing my luck, 2 seconds after I set off I would have a kamikazi pigeon.

How many of you, would of said yes right away, and said sod the consequences?
____________________
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-- Albert Einstein
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Weed
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have done what you did....If I'd dropped it, I'd have killed me too Thumbs Up Laughing
____________________
"Just Believe"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dry R1 weighs almost exactly the same as the dry GS500. Its mass is probably better distributed too. Bet you're really kicking yourself now.. Very Happy (I'd know I'd be far too scared of the thing, I'm not sure I'd trust myself even on a 400 Smile )
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy


Last edited by mchaggis on 20:40 - 01 May 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Re: Missed chance! Reply with quote

Dave-O wrote:
Even though his bike is insured for any rider


Erm, doesn't work like that matey.. If you want to ride someone else bikes then your insurance has to cover riding other peoples bikes.

When doing so, you're only covered third party, so you bin it you fix it out of your own pocket, also the owner of the other bike must also be insured.

So basically you'd only be covered if you involved another vehicle in an accident.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Re: Missed chance! Reply with quote

Yams wrote:
you bin it you fix it out of your own pocket



Exactly why I haven't had a go of my mate's bikes when offered - plus I'd be gutted if I had an accident, as I know how I'd feel if it happened to my bike Thumbs Down
____________________
Power Ranger Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave-O
Nova Slayer



Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know what I thinking, maybe he just meant that I was legally allowed to ride it or something.
____________________
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-- Albert Einstein
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gimpy limp
Nearly there...



Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Re: Missed chance! Reply with quote

Yams wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
Even though his bike is insured for any rider


Erm, doesn't work like that matey.. If you want to ride someone else bikes then your insurance has to cover riding other peoples bikes.

When doing so, you're only covered third party, so you bin it you fix it out of your own pocket, also the owner of the other bike must also be insured.

So basically you'd only be covered if you involved another vehicle in an accident.


nah if it's the same as cars then that's wrong, my sisters car is in my mums name with it being for any driver to use under her name if she gives them permission, I use my sisters car all the time without having my own insurance for that car, i've even produced documents and not had problems.
____________________
-=[Sam/b]=- cx500's the only way to travel, we do it in style just like jimmy saville
msn addy - [email protected]
https://pre-auto.com/cx500/rat_and_survival_gallery_2006
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:47 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it sounds to me as though he was offering you a go on it. It was a long straight. Smile I'm sure he'll offer you another go sooner or later, and you could always ask him if you felt inclined...
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Re: Missed chance! Reply with quote

gimpy limp wrote:
nah if it's the same as cars then that's wrong, my sisters car is in my mums name with it being for any driver to use under her name if she gives them permission, I use my sisters car all the time without having my own insurance for that car, i've even produced documents and not had problems.


You might want to give the insurance company a call and double check that, I'm pretty sure it's not possible Confused
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get any driver policies for cars.

I think it's different for bikes though. I've never seen one where your insurance allows you to let anyone ride fully insured.
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Re: Missed chance! Reply with quote

Yams wrote:
You might want to give the insurance company a call and double check that, I'm pretty sure it's not possible Confused


Any driver insurance is possible, just nobbin expensive sometimes. But sometimes it can be cheaper to add any driver insurance rather than some particular named drivers.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gimpy limp
Nearly there...



Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yur it's definatelly right, checked and seen it in printing, had it on a few cars pretty cheap.
____________________
-=[Sam/b]=- cx500's the only way to travel, we do it in style just like jimmy saville
msn addy - [email protected]
https://pre-auto.com/cx500/rat_and_survival_gallery_2006
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave-O
Nova Slayer



Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I should have pinned that f@%ker down the straight Very Happy
____________________
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-- Albert Einstein
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gimpy limp
Nearly there...



Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

aiyee but like what someone said might be different on bike insurance.
____________________
-=[Sam/b]=- cx500's the only way to travel, we do it in style just like jimmy saville
msn addy - [email protected]
https://pre-auto.com/cx500/rat_and_survival_gallery_2006
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Will87
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride my old beans bikes sometimes, my license doesn't cover them and i have no insurance, but they are still fun Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a tin hat? Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

VTR SP1
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father in law has an any user policy on his vehicles as different peoplei use them on the farm. Other people are full comp provided they have full licence and are over a certain age.
A policy like that would cost a fucking mint for an R1, and why would you bother? I don't like anyone touching my bike let alone riding it.

SP1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave-O
Nova Slayer



Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:16 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

His whole family ride bikes, VFR's and that, so he could have got it so that they could use his bike sometimes (not sure if he would let them though).

He has been riding for 12 years without ever making a claim, so his insurance company probably give him money to take a policy out Smile
____________________
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-- Albert Einstein
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.24 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 102.01 Kb