Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Wow, why didn't I pass my test sooner?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Wow, why didn't I pass my test sooner? Reply with quote

Bought a bike today after passing my test on Thursday. Only spent £500 on it while I save for a better one, I just couldn't wait.

Bought a 1989 GSX600F in red. 16000 miles with MoT's to prove em. It goes like hell; I can't believe it's one of the slower 600's.

My first overtaking oppurtunity seen me hitting 110mph. That was when I looked down while I was passing cars Surprised

I shut the throttle and miraculously didn't need to brake to slow down. I was so used to the minimal engine braking that the NSR offers. I'm feeling rather pleased right now and happy to know that it's sitting there waiting for me to turn the key and push the button in the morning. Thumbs Up Mr. Green

I really should have done this years ago...
____________________
Current bike: VTR1000F Firestorm. Previous: Firestorm (written off) - XJ600 Divvy - NSR125 - DT125 and a load of offroaders.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:25 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reasons for not taking your test sooner (using my own as examples)

1. Can't be arsed

2. Don't have the money for Lessons (fits in with reason 3)

3. Are unwilling to take test with no lessons, as you don't gamble money and you're pretty positive that you'd be paying £50 to be told "better luck next time"

4. Don't want the uncertainty of wondering if you've passed, having an instructor like a stormtrooper on a mission chasing you, his voice in your head, while cars seem to go out of their way to make you fail...

5. Are reasonably satisfied with current bike "once I've reached the limits of the [bike]'s performance I'll get something bigger.

6. (pre 21) are put off by paying money to take a test so you can go up to a poxy 33bhp legally.

7. Are put off by higher road tax and insurance, and are thus happy with current machine, necessitating no replacement.

8. Cannot afford to replace bike anyway, so why bother? - It's not worth paying 50 quid to use motorways and take off a couple of L plates is it?

9. Believe it or not, people DO give you leeway when you're on L's.

10. Being in a big gang of 125's all with L#s has a certain Kudos to it.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:00 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are lame excuses. I know, I used them. There really is nothing better than cc. Lots of cc's. But, if you are happy, really happy with your current bike then there's obviously no need to get something bigger. I reached the limits of my nsr ages ago, I've been riding bikes for a while (off-road) mind you, so I took my test and got a bigger bike.

I say I should have done it sooner because I didn't realise how much I was going to enjoy a bigger bike.
____________________
Current bike: VTR1000F Firestorm. Previous: Firestorm (written off) - XJ600 Divvy - NSR125 - DT125 and a load of offroaders.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

strag
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:03 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
The reasons for not taking your test sooner (using my own as examples)

1. Can't be arsed

2. Don't have the money for Lessons (fits in with reason 3)

3. Are unwilling to take test with no lessons, as you don't gamble money and you're pretty positive that you'd be paying £50 to be told "better luck next time"

4. Don't want the uncertainty of wondering if you've passed, having an instructor like a stormtrooper on a mission chasing you, his voice in your head, while cars seem to go out of their way to make you fail...

5. Are reasonably satisfied with current bike "once I've reached the limits of the [bike]'s performance I'll get something bigger.

6. (pre 21) are put off by paying money to take a test so you can go up to a poxy 33bhp legally.

7. Are put off by higher road tax and insurance, and are thus happy with current machine, necessitating no replacement.

8. Cannot afford to replace bike anyway, so why bother? - It's not worth paying 50 quid to use motorways and take off a couple of L plates is it?

9. Believe it or not, people DO give you leeway when you're on L's.

10. Being in a big gang of 125's all with L#s has a certain Kudos to it.


bitter Wink
____________________
carbon bling
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:12 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
9. Believe it or not, people DO give you leeway when you're on L's.


Recon I should stick L's on my Daytona 600? Very Happy Sick of car drivers (mostly BMW drivers, come to think of it) being jerks.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:22 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haveing your licence is a relief...

You can buy any bike you feel like.. (within reason Razz)

33bhp is not all that bad, allot of bikes can be restricted and behave pretty much the same untill you get to silly speeds. get caught twice over the speed limit in two years and you wont have a licence anyway, so its not that big a deal...

The £1000 125 i had was a complete bag of shite compared to the £1000 500 i got next.. and it cost less to insure..

Brakes are infinitely better, handleing is better, more comfort, safer, dont get blown allover the road when its windy + LESS likely to be stolen!

I looked forward to test day as much as i'd look forward to being thrown at a belt sander surrounded by a baths of viniger, but its so worth it, not only do you not have to do it ever again (unless your nawty) but the training is great, i thought i was a good rider untill i did the training and Shocked the cbt is only half of it..

ZaphodBeeble -

Magazine testers allways say bikes are slow, if you had driven a ferrari then a tvr would be slow... same thing, my first bike was the definition of a "slow" bike and it would pish allover most road cars (normal everyday road cars) bikes maybe not but rarely a problem..

Not wanting to sound like a boreing old fart but it might be sensible to keep your speed down for a bit, 6 points (2 speeding tickets) and you'll have to do that lot again Shocked (in fact you have to do an extended test!)
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully I never had a bike with had Ls on, but I can imagine it being the most annoying thing ever.

You can't even go on the motorways. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
Can't be arsed


Possibly the three words I hate most in the english language.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:24 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor old "be" being caught up in your misery Crying or Very sad
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:29 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they sting.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:33 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

*groan*

If I had a rotten tomato I'd be throwing it at you Razz
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A course + test (£400?) is for life.

A CBT (£80 - £100) is for 2 years.

In the end, it works out cheaper -- and its a sense of achievement

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:40 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passing your test gives you a sense of being elite.

Razz To all learners. Laughing
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just passed test other day, main thing for me was to be rid of the L-Plates.

New to riding at 33 and to be honest they were embarrassing, took 2 months from passing CBT to then getting a 125 to then passing test. In all cost me a couple of hundred pounds.

But unlike earlier comments don't care about motorways at all, never need to use em.

Not that fussed about my 33bhp restriction for 2 years, as I am happy enough on my cg for now, sort of got used to 110mpg and that the max speed on my commute is 40mph.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.19 Sec - Server Load: 1.1 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 84.29 Kb