|
|
| Author |
Message |
| ZaphodBeeble |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZaphodBeeble World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:06 - 08 May 2005 Post subject: Wow, why didn't I pass my test sooner? |
 |
|
Bought a bike today after passing my test on Thursday. Only spent £500 on it while I save for a better one, I just couldn't wait.
Bought a 1989 GSX600F in red. 16000 miles with MoT's to prove em. It goes like hell; I can't believe it's one of the slower 600's.
My first overtaking oppurtunity seen me hitting 110mph. That was when I looked down while I was passing cars
I shut the throttle and miraculously didn't need to brake to slow down. I was so used to the minimal engine braking that the NSR offers. I'm feeling rather pleased right now and happy to know that it's sitting there waiting for me to turn the key and push the button in the morning.
I really should have done this years ago... ____________________ Current bike: VTR1000F Firestorm. Previous: Firestorm (written off) - XJ600 Divvy - NSR125 - DT125 and a load of offroaders. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NSR125-Kid-UK |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NSR125-Kid-UK Attention Whore

Joined: 03 May 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 01:25 - 08 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
The reasons for not taking your test sooner (using my own as examples)
1. Can't be arsed
2. Don't have the money for Lessons (fits in with reason 3)
3. Are unwilling to take test with no lessons, as you don't gamble money and you're pretty positive that you'd be paying £50 to be told "better luck next time"
4. Don't want the uncertainty of wondering if you've passed, having an instructor like a stormtrooper on a mission chasing you, his voice in your head, while cars seem to go out of their way to make you fail...
5. Are reasonably satisfied with current bike "once I've reached the limits of the [bike]'s performance I'll get something bigger.
6. (pre 21) are put off by paying money to take a test so you can go up to a poxy 33bhp legally.
7. Are put off by higher road tax and insurance, and are thus happy with current machine, necessitating no replacement.
8. Cannot afford to replace bike anyway, so why bother? - It's not worth paying 50 quid to use motorways and take off a couple of L plates is it?
9. Believe it or not, people DO give you leeway when you're on L's.
10. Being in a big gang of 125's all with L#s has a certain Kudos to it. ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!
"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZaphodBeeble |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZaphodBeeble World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 02:00 - 08 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
They are lame excuses. I know, I used them. There really is nothing better than cc. Lots of cc's. But, if you are happy, really happy with your current bike then there's obviously no need to get something bigger. I reached the limits of my nsr ages ago, I've been riding bikes for a while (off-road) mind you, so I took my test and got a bigger bike.
I say I should have done it sooner because I didn't realise how much I was going to enjoy a bigger bike. ____________________ Current bike: VTR1000F Firestorm. Previous: Firestorm (written off) - XJ600 Divvy - NSR125 - DT125 and a load of offroaders. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| strag |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 strag World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Chriss |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Chriss World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 May 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr.z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr.z World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 02:22 - 08 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Haveing your licence is a relief...
You can buy any bike you feel like.. (within reason )
33bhp is not all that bad, allot of bikes can be restricted and behave pretty much the same untill you get to silly speeds. get caught twice over the speed limit in two years and you wont have a licence anyway, so its not that big a deal...
The £1000 125 i had was a complete bag of shite compared to the £1000 500 i got next.. and it cost less to insure..
Brakes are infinitely better, handleing is better, more comfort, safer, dont get blown allover the road when its windy + LESS likely to be stolen!
I looked forward to test day as much as i'd look forward to being thrown at a belt sander surrounded by a baths of viniger, but its so worth it, not only do you not have to do it ever again (unless your nawty) but the training is great, i thought i was a good rider untill i did the training and the cbt is only half of it..
ZaphodBeeble -
Magazine testers allways say bikes are slow, if you had driven a ferrari then a tvr would be slow... same thing, my first bike was the definition of a "slow" bike and it would pish allover most road cars (normal everyday road cars) bikes maybe not but rarely a problem..
Not wanting to sound like a boreing old fart but it might be sensible to keep your speed down for a bit, 6 points (2 speeding tickets) and you'll have to do that lot again (in fact you have to do an extended test!) ____________________ >RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes< |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Claud 14.7 to 1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Claud 14.7 to 1 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:13 - 08 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thankfully I never had a bike with had Ls on, but I can imagine it being the most annoying thing ever.
You can't even go on the motorways.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr.Everready |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr.Everready World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:24 - 08 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Poor old "be" being caught up in your misery  ____________________ the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr.Everready |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr.Everready World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:33 - 08 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
*groan*
If I had a rotten tomato I'd be throwing it at you  ____________________ the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Craggles |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Craggles Traffic Copper

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:40 - 08 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Passing your test gives you a sense of being elite.
To all learners.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kawakid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kawakid World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|