Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


chopping down from 600 to a 400

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

swaffs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: chopping down from 600 to a 400 Reply with quote

Ok, after much deliberation, I think my mind is almost made up.

As much as I love my CBR600 FY. I cannot afford to do the trackdays etc. that I want to, and also I'm not sure I have the ability to ride it as quick as it can go, due to lack of experience and skill etc.

Therefore I am thinking of chopping down to a 400 for several reasons.

Arrow Bike will be cheaper and it will release some £££ to pay for trackdays.

Arrow Bike is likely to handle far better than my CBR.

Arrow Bike is smaller so would be better for my daily commute through london (I cannot really get my feet down on the CBR, well one at a time I can.)

Arrow Plus I feel I will probably improve my riding ability by having to use all the revs etc. so when I go back to a 600 in a year or so, I'll be a faster rider.

as I see it I have a few bikes to choose from:

ZXR400
VFR400
RVF400
CBR400
GSXR400

I am expecting to have a budget of about £1500 to spend on the bike.

I have little or no experience of any of these bikes, although did get my knee down on Waves CBR 400 before doing it on my own CBR !!

(In fact in mty 18 months of bike use I've only ever ridden an ER5 and my CBR600)


My initial preference is in ZXR400 both for performance and looks, followed by VFR as it seems a good value choice.

Anyone able to provide any thoughts / experiences on this ?

I will primarily be using the bike for daily 10 mile commute through central london, trackdays, and the occasional weekend rideout.

I still have to get over the whole psycological decision (going down rather than up in bike choice) but I think it will be for the better in the long run.

Thanks for reading and I'll appreciate any comments.

Swaffs
____________________
Swaffs Photography |
BCF vinyl stickers
"Look not back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around you in awareness."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say, go for it
your bike isnt your only form on transport and if u get near enough £3k for the CBR6, ull have 1.5k to play with for trackdays and whatever, and you can trash the nuts of them.
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure a 400 will be cheaper? They seem overpriced for what they are. I would have thought that a CBR600F fits the commuting and weekend blasting better than a balls-out small sportsbike like the ZXR.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:46 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure that it doesn't look pretty alluring to thieves in London. Having said that, i very rarely see any 400's in central london. Most of them being CB1's and the like.

400's will be significantly lighter and easier to chuck about. I've been searching around for 400's recently and found that on autotrader, gullarms tend to be much cheaper than ZXR's. I think Ric and Claude need to let me have a go on their bikes so that an objective conclusion can be made, i haven't ridden any of them.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

swaffs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I defo need to ride some to appreciate the difference.
(any offers for a ride out considered)

what is gullarm? I've heard of it but don't know what it is?

Also they does seem to be alot out there fetching some serious money but I'm thinking a UK spec L3 ZXR 1993 could be avaiable for about £1300.
____________________
Swaffs Photography |
BCF vinyl stickers
"Look not back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around you in awareness."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

swaffs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titz wrote:
Just make sure that it doesn't look pretty alluring to thieves in London. Having said that, i very rarely see any 400's in central london. Most of them being CB1's and the like.


fortunately I park in a secure underground carpark so, not majorly concerned about hightened risk of theft.


Titz wrote:
400's will be significantly lighter and easier to chuck about. I've been searching around for 400's recently and found that on autotrader, gullarms tend to be much cheaper than ZXR's. I think Ric and Claude need to let me have a go on their bikes so that an objective conclusion can be made, i haven't ridden any of them.


my sentiments exactly
____________________
Swaffs Photography |
BCF vinyl stickers
"Look not back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around you in awareness."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titz wrote:

significantly lighter


VFR400 dry - seen quoted anywhere between 170kg and 185kg
CBR600 dry - 173kg

They're heavy little sods, mainly cos of their age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

swaffs wrote:

what is gullarm? I've heard of it but don't know what it is?


Its a type of cbr400rr. Different type of swingarm. There is gullarm and triarm i think?

Your best bet is to go with a ZXR. They are common as muck and generally not imported so parts and insurance shouldn't be a problem. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ric
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i herd the new gixxer thou was same weight as a vfr4 so not really too light

titz im sure u can have a go on one of my 400's, i can be arranged

ive ridden clauds cbr4 and didnt like it, mainly cos his clutch was odd, seemed ok tho
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gullarm

https://www.cr-x.org/cbr250/bike/cbr4.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR400-
Tri-arm- this is my bike its the older style cbr400s next to no difference really NC23

Gullarm-the newer one, probably easier to get parts for NC29

well uve been on the deathrace, for a bag of spanners, not that bad eh ?
apart from the death footpeg
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ric
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:06 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathrace Shocked due to lack of fairings?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swaffs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Titz wrote:

significantly lighter


VFR400 dry - seen quoted anywhere between 170kg and 185kg
CBR600 dry - 173kg

They're heavy little sods, mainly cos of their age.


This weeks MSN has UK ZXR's at

Power 62bhp
Weight 159kg
seat height 790mm

although it's not the weight that I personally am concerned over, the reduction in seat height is a major positive though..
____________________
Swaffs Photography |
BCF vinyl stickers
"Look not back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around you in awareness."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

it got the name cos the forks used to have no oil and practicly all of the oil was on the brake disks and calipers
when u pulled the brake nothing would happen untill the excess oil burnt off
and it used to give violent tankslappers
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lap_time
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get over the psychological issues pretty quick!

Just because you're down-sizing your bike, it doesn't mean that it's any less of a bike!

Look at the guys on the track - the top guy in rookie 400 is doing Cadwell (with it's 2 long straights!) faster than some of the guys in the Supersport 600s. My other half on his 400 beats many guys on 600s on the road (I couldn't, because I'm a pussy!).

The physics of it all (smaller/lighter) means that you can corner faster than big bikes (although they'll toast you on the straights!). And it's true - having to work the bike harder will make you a better rider when you get back on a bigger bike. When I borrowed a 7r for two weeks I could believe how little effort went into riding it - it picked in any gear - I hardly had to change gear on my 10 mile trip to work! With the 4 you've got to make it scream!

Personally, I'd go for the zxr (I'm biased though!) - I just think that they're a bit more reliable and as you said, the styling is a little better.
____________________
One post Gordons - just here to sell.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u want reliabilty dont get a kawasaki
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:40 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
if u want reliabilty dont get a kawasaki

Or the GSXR. Well definetely not one around 20,000 miles on the clock.
____________________
Honda NSR125R -> Suzuki GSXR400R GK76a -> Kawasaki ZX636 B1H -> Honda CBR400RR NC29 -> Nothing Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lap_time
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
if u want reliabilty dont get a kawasaki


Well, that certainly is an item for discussion - although with all of the Kawasaki riders I know, I'm not sure that Kawasaki are any less reliable than any other manufacturer - but obviously one only hears when something goes wrong, not when something's doing a good job.

You also have to remember that with the budget in question, many of the bikes available will be about 10 years old, which for a sports bike means it's not in its prime.

Someone I know has a CBR400 which has broken down on the roads many times, and has blown up at a track day, whereas I have the ZXR400 which has had its electrical problems, but has never left me stranded OR blown up.
____________________
One post Gordons - just here to sell.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen too many kawasakis fuck up to buy one
just buy a well looked after bike and it will be fine
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

swaffs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses.

what about the issue of getting imported vs UK spec ZXR 400?
____________________
Swaffs Photography |
BCF vinyl stickers
"Look not back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around you in awareness."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lap_time
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not entirely sure about the differences between UK and import - but I can dig out some sites with the info on later.

All I will say is that whatever one you get, get one with carb heaters! They suffer very badly from carb icing in the winter, and unless you have carb heaters or Pro FST in your tank you may suffer if you're commuting.

Will find those links for you shortly...
____________________
One post Gordons - just here to sell.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

swaffs wrote:
what about the issue of getting imported vs UK spec ZXR 400?


Annoying kmph speedo and no carb heaters on imports. Also imports will have originally been limited to 112mph.

Personally I would not be too worried about buying an import, but only if the price was noticeably better than for a UK spec model.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

swaffs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

my research has found some interesting articles on greybike.

https://www.400greybike.co.uk/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30615
https://www.400greybike.co.uk/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30614

Seems very much a toss up between an VFR and ZXR, with very little between them.

https://www.swaffs.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/ZXRvsVFR.jpg
____________________
Swaffs Photography |
BCF vinyl stickers
"Look not back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around you in awareness."


Last edited by swaffs on 14:42 - 07 Jun 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the ZXR!!! Very Happy

https://www.pascoe.cx/bike.jpg
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:38 - 07 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
if u want reliabilty dont get a kwasaki


Or a Honda, seen quite a few of them go badly wrong, one way or another Smile.


As mentioned previously, personally I would look at two bikes; a 'fun' bike and an 'everyday' bike.

For a start this means you're not putting big miles on a bike that's setup for track use and it means you don't have to worry so much about crashing when you're having fun.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.45 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 139.4 Kb