Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hornet's a little unstable

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Milo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 14 Jun 2005    Post subject: Hornet's a little unstable Reply with quote

When I let the handlebars go it will go into a tank slapper if not controlled.
I'm sure this isn't right and coupled with a bit of a knocking sound under breaking I thought it'd be the head bearing.

I took her back to the dealer who found it was a little loose which has helped the knocking sound but the tank slapping is still there.
Tyre pressures are fine so what else could it be?

It's done this since I got it about 6 weeks ago so it's not like I've added something on which has caused it.

Any ideas?
____________________
Shaft drives rule. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 14 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front wheel bearings possibly. One of mine had mostly disintegrated and was causing the bike to go into slappers very easily.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 14 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it something you think I could take to the dealer and ask them to look at?

That knocking noise is still there sometimes when I come to a standstill, though it is less frequent now.
I've heard that floating disks can cause a knock sound, but it sounds "bigger" than a brake disk noise to me.
If it had a centre stand I'd have a look myself...not that I really know what I'm looking for with bearings.
____________________
Shaft drives rule. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:32 - 14 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I took mine to a dealer for a diagnosis (Finns in Redhill). They sorted the problem out same day and for a reasonable price.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil



Joined: 02 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:35 - 14 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be tyre pressure, wheel balance, or tyre damage.
My hornet is prone (as are they all) to a head shake at high (ish) speeds and over uneven ground.
I hit a cats-eye while accelerateting hard at over 90mph, i had a big wobble, not quite lock to lock, but about 75% one way then the other. i try to find the gaps between them now.
HTH
J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 14 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Yeah, I took mine to a dealer for a diagnosis (Finns in Redhill). They sorted the problem out same day and for a reasonable price.


Mine's still under it's 3 month warrantee there so I'll give them a call and see what they say.

Finns is a great shop. Thumbs Up
____________________
Shaft drives rule. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 14 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect it to be wheel balancing. Either because of a dodgy tyre or just because it wasn't balanced properly/at all when the last tyre was put on. Can you feel the wobbling when you are holding the handlebars or is it just when you leave go completely?
____________________
Current bike: VTR1000F Firestorm. Previous: Firestorm (written off) - XJ600 Divvy - NSR125 - DT125 and a load of offroaders.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ropehead
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 02 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 14 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it the 16" front wheel ?
mine is and it get a bit twitchey as stock, ive had the front end setup by UK suspention and it a diffrent bike, i just hold on to the bars harder out you could jusy put some spacers in the top of the fork tubes and thicker oil.
or if its really bad a damper would cure it but its prob cheaper to fit a 17" blackbird wheel or CBR.
Sup 2 you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 15 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only wobbles when I let go - there's nothing while I'm holding on even with a very light grip or a finger on there.

I've called the dealer and they'll check the wheel bearing later on today when i can get down there.

Doubt it's wheel balancing or I'd probably be feeling lots of vibrations. Question
____________________
Shaft drives rule. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 15 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they tightened up the head bearing a little more but I can still feel a knock.

They put the tankslapping down to the fact that it's meant to be ridden with my hands on the handlebars. They also said that all modern bikes do it because of the lighter handling - anyone comment on this?

I tried it again on the way home and it's still there, along with the knocking sound under braking.
____________________
Shaft drives rule. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BFG
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 15 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milo wrote:
Only wobbles when I let go



Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this!
Doctor: Don't do it then!

Some bikes just do. If it doesn't affect the bike normally, then don't worry. Smile

On a new bike it's unlikely to be the front forks - Such as wear, oil condition or uneven levels.

You could ensure the suspension is set up properly, and wierd as it sounds the rear compression can affect this too.

If you adjust your position on the bike seat, front and back does it change the intensity of the effect?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 15 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.

Got the same with my hornet bud. Only a slight knocking. I do think it's the wheel bearings, but if you do find out what it is, lettuce know. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil



Joined: 02 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also heard of he brakes nkocking slightly. This happens on my bike whne i use them to stop the bike moveing backwards when takeing it out of the garage. The first time i apply the front brake the pads shift forwards knocking when they reach their destination, notthing to worry about.
HTH
J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's more of a consistent knock, although it seems to stop when I go below a certain speed, maybe about 8mph. I'll assume it's nothing to worry about but the bike'll be stripped sometime soon so I'll sort it out then. Smile

Cheers jay. You're going to be my walking, talking hornet manual on this forum Wink (alongside the manual I downlaoded as well as the hornets nest ezboard.com site - is that the official forum by the way?)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.25 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 80.28 Kb