|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Milo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Milo World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:57 - 14 Jun 2005 Post subject: Hornet's a little unstable |
 |
|
When I let the handlebars go it will go into a tank slapper if not controlled.
I'm sure this isn't right and coupled with a bit of a knocking sound under breaking I thought it'd be the head bearing.
I took her back to the dealer who found it was a little loose which has helped the knocking sound but the tank slapping is still there.
Tyre pressures are fine so what else could it be?
It's done this since I got it about 6 weeks ago so it's not like I've added something on which has caused it.
Any ideas? ____________________ Shaft drives rule.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| EuropeanNC30R... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 EuropeanNC30R... Gay Hairdresser
Joined: 20 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Milo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Milo World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:26 - 14 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Is it something you think I could take to the dealer and ask them to look at?
That knocking noise is still there sometimes when I come to a standstill, though it is less frequent now.
I've heard that floating disks can cause a knock sound, but it sounds "bigger" than a brake disk noise to me.
If it had a centre stand I'd have a look myself...not that I really know what I'm looking for with bearings. ____________________ Shaft drives rule.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| EuropeanNC30R... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 EuropeanNC30R... Gay Hairdresser
Joined: 20 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jay12329 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jay12329 Dr. Evil

Joined: 02 May 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Milo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Milo World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2002 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZaphodBeeble |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZaphodBeeble World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:29 - 14 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would expect it to be wheel balancing. Either because of a dodgy tyre or just because it wasn't balanced properly/at all when the last tyre was put on. Can you feel the wobbling when you are holding the handlebars or is it just when you leave go completely? ____________________ Current bike: VTR1000F Firestorm. Previous: Firestorm (written off) - XJ600 Divvy - NSR125 - DT125 and a load of offroaders. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ropehead |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ropehead Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 02 May 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Milo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Milo World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:11 - 15 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Only wobbles when I let go - there's nothing while I'm holding on even with a very light grip or a finger on there.
I've called the dealer and they'll check the wheel bearing later on today when i can get down there.
Doubt it's wheel balancing or I'd probably be feeling lots of vibrations.  ____________________ Shaft drives rule.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Milo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Milo World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Feb 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:51 - 15 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well they tightened up the head bearing a little more but I can still feel a knock.
They put the tankslapping down to the fact that it's meant to be ridden with my hands on the handlebars. They also said that all modern bikes do it because of the lighter handling - anyone comment on this?
I tried it again on the way home and it's still there, along with the knocking sound under braking. ____________________ Shaft drives rule.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BFG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BFG Brolly Dolly

Joined: 14 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| instigator |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 instigator Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:10 - 15 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yup.
Got the same with my hornet bud. Only a slight knocking. I do think it's the wheel bearings, but if you do find out what it is, lettuce know.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jay12329 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jay12329 Dr. Evil

Joined: 02 May 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| instigator |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 instigator Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:22 - 16 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
No, it's more of a consistent knock, although it seems to stop when I go below a certain speed, maybe about 8mph. I'll assume it's nothing to worry about but the bike'll be stripped sometime soon so I'll sort it out then.
Cheers jay. You're going to be my walking, talking hornet manual on this forum (alongside the manual I downlaoded as well as the hornets nest ezboard.com site - is that the official forum by the way?) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|