Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


We've lost one!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: We've lost one! Reply with quote

My friend bought a GSX750R on Friday. He'd been looking forward to this since selling his ZXR400 2 months ago. He rode up to Newcastle to see his missus and on the way home crashed the bike. No serious injuries as such but he did have to go into surgery to have his testicles pulled from inside of his body after hitting the fuel tank hard Shocked I understand that something like this is gonna make you think but he's saying he's never gonna ride again. This upsets me greatly, I don't think I could ever be put off by anything other than paralysis (sp) or death. How can I convince him otherwise??
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't, and you shouldn't.


This is a common reaction immediately following an accident. If he is meant to ride, he will miss it too much and eventually return to bikes when he is ready.

If he chooses not to do so, his choice, his life, his decision. Respect it. Thumbs Up Karma
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you're saying but I can't believe he doesn't want to ride again. Crying or Very sad It was a HUGE passion.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:55 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give him a day or two. He's probably not thinking too clearly right now, once his balls stop hurting he might change his mind Thumbs Up Smile
____________________
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"- Dr. Johnson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What state is the bike in? How much does he want for it?
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let him have some time.

Later on, some stats/details of car accidents could remind him that there isn't really a truely 'safe' way to travel.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:06 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
What state is the bike in? How much does he want for it?


Hahahaha Bazza you make me laugh, i've got first dibs on it!! I havn't spoken to him in detail yet and he doesn't seem to sure himself what state the bike is in. Apparantly the policeman on the scene was shocked at how unscathed it was, craked front mud guard and scracthes. I reckon theres got to be some fairing damage though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds horrible, to mess up the crown jewels is one way of putting you off.
Maybe when he can pee safely again he might jump back on a bike.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get a small ice packed cushion to rest my balls on and go fetch my bike if I were him.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDBANGER wrote:
Hahahaha Bazza you make me laugh, i've got first dibs on it!! I havn't spoken to him in detail yet and he doesn't seem to sure himself what state the bike is in. Apparantly the policeman on the scene was shocked at how unscathed it was, craked front mud guard and scracthes. I reckon theres got to be some fairing damage though.


Bit of a dent in the tank too, I expect. Tell him to GWS anyway.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

paulthewitt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:03 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lesson to us all boys. WEAR A CUP/BOX.

after i had a couple of serious offs (should be dead through a broken neck really!) and walking away, i thought "this is it, no more bikes for me".

about a month later i was desperate for a bike.

just give him time. be a support to him, at the end of the day its his choice, and calling him a quitter or pestering him at a time like this doesnt help. be a friend first, one that he can talk too (we all know all other family and friends will be telling him how if he has a bike he'll die, etc...) who wont push an opinion on him. he will respect you for it.

pass on all our regards and get well soons.
Paul
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I had my crash, (split pelvis, crushed right wrist) I was lying in bed saying I wouldn't ride again.....


....until I was starting to walk again, got to the windo of the ward and say a gold, T reg fazer 600 in thr carpark..

something went "ping" inside and i KNEW I wanted to ride again...

it's differnt for everyone.

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to him last night, it seems he doesn't want to ride again coz he doesn't want to put his parents and GF through the worry Confused . I gotta respect his decision I suppose and he did say we could come to an arrangment on his bike so thats kind of a bonus, although I feel guilty about being excited about it. Apparantly he was close to having hhis balls amputated Shocked I think that may have scared me too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dracan
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading your post, I must admit that I was close to being sick (no disrespect meant to your friend). This is probably very nieve of me, but I hadn't really thought before about what the first thing that will collide with the tank in a headon collision is (I'm fairly new to biking). I think I'm going to be trying to find some protection for that very quickly! Shocked Did the doctors say he would recover completely from it?

Wish your friend a speedy recovery from us all! Thumbs Up
____________________
Honda CBR600RR - 2004
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think he's going to be fine!! Just before he was about be put under the anasthetic the surgeon walked up and said "If your testicles are smashed they will be amputated", & then walked off. Imagine that Shocked Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:59 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont wanna lose my balls. id prefer to lose a leg or arm. can you actually get a box or cup strong enough to be able to protect you in a crash or would you have to use something designed for cricketers or martial artists ?
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not Mark by any chance is it? I remember you telling me he had a Kwak.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:11 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
i dont wanna lose my balls. id prefer to lose a leg or arm. can you actually get a box or cup strong enough to be able to protect you in a crash or would you have to use something designed for cricketers or martial artists ?


I don't think that'd be very comfy, and it's designed to take a foot/leg to the groin, no a 60mph+ impact into a solid metal (or plastic) tank, or whatever else your testicles fly into.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
It's not Mark by any chance is it? I remember you telling me he had a Kwak.


Who are you Fuzz? It is Mark.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Craig from the Rock Cafe! Why haven't you been in the Gallows for a while? I can't believe it's happened to him though, I haven't seen him for ages and was looking forward to meeting up with him and yourself for a rideout.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
It's Craig from the Rock Cafe! Why haven't you been in the Gallows for a while? I can't believe it's happened to him though, I haven't seen him for ages and was looking forward to meeting up with him and yourself for a rideout.


Ahhhh yes, I was just talking with Suzuki about who you might be and I was right!! I've been drinking in Costa's and teaching them how to play pool! Wink Might be down the Gallows on Saturday if your about!!! As soon as I get a bike again i'm with you!! Will try and work on Mark aswell.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one son! Thumbs Up What happened to the Yam?
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
Nice one son! Thumbs Up What happened to the Yam?


Couldnt afford to keep it Crying or Very sad I got rid of it and got a ZZR as part of the deal but I cant be arsed with the ZZR so im getting rid. It needs some work and I cant be arsed. I do miss that Yam though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:10 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
You can't, and you shouldn't.


This is a common reaction immediately following an accident. If he is meant to ride, he will miss it too much and eventually return to bikes when he is ready.

If he chooses not to do so, his choice, his life, his decision. Respect it. Thumbs Up Karma


My sentiments exactly.
After I had my big crash, I was desperate to get back on but couldnt stand on my foot let alone anything else for 3 mths.....but I know so many people who lose the edge, and feel forced to ride again. And its scarey to watch them all nervous and everything.

I was determined to ride again, but my confidence took a HUGE knock, even now, 7 years on I am sooo careful on roundabouts....I glare at drivers who so much as inch out when Im using one....
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 123.42 Kb