|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:18 - 29 Jul 2005 Post subject: Xj600 cams, the final stretch, help needed. |
 |
|
Ok, the heads have been swapped. The good engine is back in the frame, with the good head on it, new head gasket, carbs are on. Whoever designed those carbs and the way they go on needs to be shot several times.
Now it's time for the cams to go in. There are 2 marks for the timing, T and C.
I believe T is TDC, but do I need it set at T or C to get the timing right? And even when I have the pistons in the right position, where do I need the cams to be? What kind of marking am I looking for?
Hopefully CraigT19 can shed a little light here, as he's done it before.
Then it's just the trivial jobs of bolting everything else back on. And hopefully it'll start, and run, and will get me to, round, and back from snetterton.
Gaz |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:53 - 30 Jul 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
Mmmm. Not sure.
On the FZR600 the marks are punch marks on the end of the cams (near side). There is a kind of flange at the end that is marked, with a matching mark on the camshaft cap at that end.
Once everything is timed up then fit the tensioner, double check the timing and turn it over carefully by hand to ensure it is not binding.
Remember that the caps have to go back in the same place they came from, and they are matched to a particular head so you cannot use the ones from your old head on the new engine.
Sorry I do not have a manual for the original XJ600.
All the best
Keith ____________________ Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|