Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Xj600 cams, the final stretch, help needed.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 29 Jul 2005    Post subject: Xj600 cams, the final stretch, help needed. Reply with quote

Ok, the heads have been swapped. The good engine is back in the frame, with the good head on it, new head gasket, carbs are on. Whoever designed those carbs and the way they go on needs to be shot several times.

Now it's time for the cams to go in. There are 2 marks for the timing, T and C.

I believe T is TDC, but do I need it set at T or C to get the timing right? And even when I have the pistons in the right position, where do I need the cams to be? What kind of marking am I looking for?

Hopefully CraigT19 can shed a little light here, as he's done it before.

Then it's just the trivial jobs of bolting everything else back on. And hopefully it'll start, and run, and will get me to, round, and back from snetterton.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 29 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Any chance of some pics?

Normally you set one cylinder (normally No 1) to TDC, and then the cams are fitted. Yamahas in the past have had a line on the sprocket to indicate the position at tdc.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:33 - 30 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, had a good hard look. No line on the sprocket, although there is an indentation above one of the bolts holes in the sprocket.

Other than that, I can find no other indications of where the cams need to be when the piston is set to TDC.

Any help here is much appreciated and needed, if I can't get this sorted soon, I won't be going to snetterton, and that'll be £90 down the shitter, and I may well cry.

Craig mentioned in another thread that..

CraigT19 wrote:
there are normally spots on the cams and number 1 end that when lined up with the spots on the clamps with be at tdc...alternatively just do it until the nearest "bumps" on the cam to the number one cylinder are pointing outwards like so..... <o o>


Couldn't find that, but I'll be looking harder for that tomorrow.

And should I be putting the cam chain tensioner back on after I've done all of this? I assume so, otherwise it makes my life very hard.

ARG!

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 30 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Mmmm. Not sure.

On the FZR600 the marks are punch marks on the end of the cams (near side). There is a kind of flange at the end that is marked, with a matching mark on the camshaft cap at that end.

Once everything is timed up then fit the tensioner, double check the timing and turn it over carefully by hand to ensure it is not binding.

Remember that the caps have to go back in the same place they came from, and they are matched to a particular head so you cannot use the ones from your old head on the new engine.

Sorry I do not have a manual for the original XJ600.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:30 - 30 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this morning went well. I found a punch mark, on the cam, adjacent to the cam cap for #2, which also had a small marker on it. Note pic.

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/bike/cams/DSCI0104%20(Small).JPG

The mark on the cam cap is now hidden behind that little punch mark, but they line up fine.

So I put the cams in...

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/bike/cams/DSCI0105%20(Small).JPG

Bit of oil underneath each cam cap, and a bit of copper grease where it should be.

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/bike/cams/DSCI0106%20(Small).JPG

Timing mark where it should be.

When I turn it over by hand it doesn't hit anything. This seems right to me. Just waiting for my dad to check it over before I do any more work. But I'm slightly more hopefull today than yesterday.

Thanks Keith!

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 48.48 Kb