Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Can anyone remember the first biker to nod back?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Do you remember your first nod?
Yes, I remember
41%
 41%  [ 26 ]
No, I don't
38%
 38%  [ 24 ]
I've got better things to do with my time
20%
 20%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 63

Author Message

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Can anyone remember the first biker to nod back? Reply with quote

I can but I think its because after many failed attempts at getting people to nod back this seemed like an achievement, and I will probs always remember it. I haven't had a nod since then I don't think so you can imagine why I remember it.

Btw I was on a long road and it was a biker on a Gixxer with a tinted visor and thick black jacket Razz

So does anyone remember their first nod?

P.S. If you see me out n about be sure to nod Wink


Last edited by phantomtek on 19:04 - 08 Aug 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont, but i do remember a feeling of fulfillment and comradeship, probably cos i still feel it a little when it happens now. Just a recognition that someone i'll never know is enjoying the same thing that I am, and probably feels much the same way about it as I do.

Strangely, I wouldn't feel the same way if I accidentally saw someone having a wank....

Zen Dog
____________________
Current - '94 VFR750FR (Dead), '00 VFR800FI, '11 600 Hornet - Previous - '11 CBF125, '10 Street Triple R, '92 MZ ETZ301, '05 TTR250, NSR125R, KMX125, "Honda" Win
My bike trip around S.E. Asia 2010/2011
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember. It was last year some time, I'd been riding for a month or two, and I pulled up at some traffic lights indicating left. If I recall correctly a biker turned up in the next lane on an XJ900. We looked at each other and nodded, then went the lights went green, he put his hand forward in a kind of 'after you' expression, even though he was going straight on/right. I had that same feeling then aswell.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:59 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember. I was on my NS125 with L's. He was a bearded bloke in a piss pot lid on a 500cc 1950's Norton.

Cool
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Delvard
Traffic Copper



Joined: 22 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that it was only about 6 weeks ago yeah I do Mr. Green
It was on the Tavistock road between Yelverton & Plymouth. Sunday about 7:15 am.
Can't remember the bike but it was one of those 'side' nods, like someones got a twitch Mr. Green It was ridiculous how much it pleased me. I've nodded ever since, on a variety of themes, I've just got to figure out which one I like best Mr. Green



Andy Wink
____________________
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never Pass into nothingness; but still will keep A bower quiet for us, and a sleep Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the very first nod i got was when i was riding back from the show room with my brand new 125, first ever bike and first ever time on it i was nervous as hell and dint have a clue what to do when he nodded at me, thought he might have recognised me from somewhere but i know better now

i tried nodding back but dint want to take my eyes off the road for a second, hope he dint think i was an arrogant t@#t
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Re: Can anyone remember the first biker to nod back? Reply with quote

What bike do you ride phantomtek?

A lot of people don't nod to scooters, I do, but only if they nod first.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really remember my first nod but I do remember this...

I hadn't been riding long, maybe a month or so and I was riding to work (on a dual carridge way) when I heard this almighty noise. I looked in my mirror to see a orange Buell speeding behind me. He slowed down and rode next to me had a look at the NSR I was riding and gave me the thumbs up. He rode next to me for 5 mins or so and then gave me a nod and roared away like a bat of of hell.

As a newbie rider I was so impressed. Laughing

I saw him a lot on that road going to work and always got a nod from him.

Then a months later the local paper reported that a biker on an orange Buel was killed on that road and I never saw him after that, so it must of been him. Neutral

I still pass the junction where is was t boned from time to time and I see the flowers left at the side of the road.

I never met him but I know that he must have been one cool mother f*cker. Still miss him nodding to me. (How strange is that!).

God bless ya Buell man. Karma Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a Motorhispania RYZ50, its sort of enduro, and I don't see why they wouldn't nod I have all good gear and don't ride like I've just stolen it Razz

Gutted to hear that story Flip, it's always saddening to hear of biker's deaths
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of riders will only nod to riders of a similar bike.

For instance I very rarely got nods from cruisers, on a trail bike I'll get nods from other trail bike riders, but less from sports bike.

Get a lot more from sportsbikes when riding one, the newer, the more newer bikers nod.

You get the idea.

A lot of people don't nod to people with L plates as well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 27 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eye, when I first took the RS125 out and it was only about a mile from home. Bloke on a sportsbike.

Now I normally nod to other bikers as it seems a pretty cool thing to do. Don't normally get nods back from scooter children, Honda goldwing's or Harley's though. Most nods seem to come from other sportsbikes and usually ones with tinted visors Thinking
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought as much, that's why I was so chuffed that a Gixxer had nodded to me, didn't stop smiling till i got where I was going.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sheepy1209
Nova Slayer



Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again - cruisers don't nod, scooter riders might, and I always nod the lads with L's on their 125 'cos I was there once.

Out for a short ride yesterday, stopped to use my mobile - half a dozen bikes (not in a group) each slowed down until I waved to say I was OK - you don't get that with cars! (You used to, mind).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sheepy1209
Nova Slayer



Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again - cruisers don't nod, scooter riders might, and I always nod the lads with L's on their 125 'cos I was there once.

Out for a short ride yesterday, stopped to use my mobile - half a dozen bikes (not in a group) each slowed down until I waved to say I was OK - you don't get that with cars! (You used to, mind).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSRracer
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember my first nod, sadly. Must of been one cool geezer seeing as i had my L's on at the time, and u don't get many riders nodding to learners.

But my L's broke off like a while ago and have been riding without them ever sinse. And i was unsure if you big bike riders know if i'm riding a 125 when i'm coming and you nod just coz i'm a fellow biker or do u nod coz you think i've got like a 400 or something (untill you see the exhaust of course Laughing ) ?? Answers Please Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, black gixxer while riding around the day after my CBT. Felt brilliant Thumbs Up Especially as I was on the suzuk125 at the time.
____________________
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:27 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only people that i dont automatically nod to are scooters with L's, cos i know most are just waiting to get a chavmobile. Always nod to learners (i was one 2 weeks ago after all!), and everyone else even if i dont get one back. But cruisers never seem to nod, i know im on a VFR750/NSR125 but still, why not?

Zen Dog
____________________
Current - '94 VFR750FR (Dead), '00 VFR800FI, '11 600 Hornet - Previous - '11 CBF125, '10 Street Triple R, '92 MZ ETZ301, '05 TTR250, NSR125R, KMX125, "Honda" Win
My bike trip around S.E. Asia 2010/2011
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:21 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i first got my bike, i didnt know about the biker nod so i thought i had entered some strange twilight zone where strangers were acknowledging me in a silent spooky way.

Then there was the awkwardness if i nodded but got no repsonse.

I dont care now and nod if i feel like it, and dont much care if there is no response.

I find the sideways head tilt a bit wierd tho. Is there some advantage of doing it that way ? I definitely prefer the forward head nod, the sideways head tilt, affects my balance. I keep my head upright at all times, even when leaning round corners.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ash t
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:23 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was on my RS50, the day I passed my CBT, I got a couple of nods, and wondered why?

Spoke to my dad, and he just said "Thats what being a biker is all about son"

Very Happy
____________________
When You're Starting To Choke, Take Some Pills With Your Coke, Its Hyserical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0ni
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:32 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cyclist followed me while filtering today through glasgow city centre, eventually pulled up alongside me and he earned a nod. Nodded back as well - must be a two wheel thing.

First nod was on my CBT, guy on a R1 nodded to the lot of us - felt like johnny big dick. I nod/wave on everyone on a bike. Habit now.
____________________
Its a lovely day, just wait until some bastard spoils it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

awj72
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:33 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

First ever nod was on a lesson!! Made me feel about ten feet tall. Laughing
I'd read about this "biker's nodding" thing on here before hand, but till it happened, wondered what it was all about.
Nod to everything on 2 wheels apart from charver scum on peds Evil or Very Mad
____________________
Woe to you, o earth & sea, for the devil sends the beast with wrath............
(my ebay clearout...... https://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZawj72QQhtZ-1 )
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd never heard of it till I set off home the first day on the CG.

Got a nod, didn't think owt of it.

Was only a few days/weeks later that I sussed out what was happening.

Now I think its funny when your on the motorway in mental conditions, giving it some and some other like wise biker on the other side of the road, gives you a sideways nod.

Are we mad.


Probably.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How comes harley riders never nod or anything they just seem to think there higher than you. Although there not and some of them must be nice people just they never seem to notice you on your rice burner, crotch rocket, jap crap etc.
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
How comes harley riders never nod or anything they just seem to think there higher than you. Although there not and some of them must be nice people just they never seem to notice you on your rice burner, crotch rocket, jap crap etc.


They nod to me on my ER5, saying that I wear ann all black outfit and ride a nacked bike.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cbrbiker
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't remember my first nod, 'cos it was way back in 1999, but it still feels great now! Very Happy

I nod to anyone on a geared bike, regardless what it is. Only time I nod to scoots is to say "thanks", same as I would a car. Scoots have become a "commuter fad" IMO and I just see loads of people riding them with their business suits on! Laughing (either that or they're sixteen year olds in tracksuits).

I know the chap who runs bikepics.com and he lives in Australia. He said that over there, cruisers nod to cruisers, sports bikes nod to sports bikes, but there's never "cross nodding". Laughing
____________________
My Bikepics page
www.trackdaypix.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.44 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 133.15 Kb