|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Claud 14.7 to 1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Claud 14.7 to 1 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:53 - 18 Aug 2005 Post subject: Wellseal and stuff |
 |
|
Hi,
I split my sump pan off, and after rejoining it with a new gasket it has leaked after only 1 day! I was advised to use some Wellseal (possibly Weldseal) on the join in conjunction with the gasket to ensure it makes a reliable seal. I was told it is quite expensive though (£25), and I'm quite skint so...
Is this product just an instant gasket or it something more special/effective. I noticed 2/3 types of instant gasket at Halfords when I worked there which are considerably cheaper.
Advise me what type to use please. Thank you  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Claud 14.7 to 1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Claud 14.7 to 1 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:05 - 19 Aug 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've had similar problems in the past with rubber gaskets that were not original equipment, material just 'feels' harder. Anyway I think that oil is supposed to cause the seal to expand, this is why I thought o rings and stuff were supposed to be oiled when fitted It might be worth soaking the gasket in oil or at least oiling the mating surface. Not sure what bike it is but personally I wouldn't have a problem using instant gasket with the proper gasket to seal everything on an older bike, only because its not high pressure tho'. Biggest risk is bits of the instant gasket getting into the engine. Just keep an eye on the torque and pattern for tightening the sump back up. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Claud 14.7 to 1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Claud 14.7 to 1 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:21 - 19 Aug 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
It was a paper gasket, so it will be kept clean/oil free.
Got me Wellseal (£6, not £25) and going to have a go tomorrow when it stops raining.
Very small job that turns out to be double the effort in the end. Typical.
Thanks  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| numbnut |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 numbnut Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 23 Jul 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|