Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hornet fuel tank confusion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Milo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 06 Sep 2005    Post subject: Hornet fuel tank confusion Reply with quote

Up to today all I've been able to squeeze in to the tank is not much over 10 litres, and now today I've just got about 13 in there.
I was filling her the same way, with no extra weight or pillion and with the bike strait upright as always.
I was only a few miles in to the reserve (as normal) and wasn't riding any different to normal.

I've checked the owners manual and the tank's apparently 16l with a 3l reserve.

Other things that may be worth noting...I rode 160 very spirited ( Wink ) motorway miles on Sunday, and used optimax stuff there and back.

Needless to say I'm rather confused - what can you other Hornet 600 owners get in to the tank with only barely touching the reserve?
____________________
Shaft drives rule. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil



Joined: 02 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 06 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank is techancally 16lt in size. In that it can hold 16lt of fluid. the problem is that the filler hole has a structure to it which has a neck on it, this encroces into the depth of the tank. This filler neck prevents air escapeing from the upermost portion of the tank, thus preventing fuel from entering this area.
A slight rocking of the bike can help remove some of this air lock. Maybe the second time you filled up you rocked the tank a little without realiseing, or your rideing that day was more fuel consumeing.
I genrally do 100 miles before i fill up. This can take between 7 and 12 lt depending on the ridieng i've been doing.
Hope that helps
J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 06 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay12329 wrote:
A slight rocking of the bike can help remove some of this air lock.


Forgot to add that...I always rock the bike without fail, just to try to squeeze the extra in.
I also switch back to main tank before I fill up in case that'll let me get a little more in there.
____________________
Shaft drives rule. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

scol1
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good message board for Hornets here,I'm sure you'll get a few replies to your question if you post on here............................


https://p196.ezboard.com/bhornetsnest56467

John.
____________________
CB1300,a proper bike!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 120 miles from BP Optimax, about £9's worth?

Usually tapping on 95-98 miles when I'm giving it some though. Optimax certainly did make a difference.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off sorry to bring up an old topic but I do have something to add.
You know that tankful where I managed to get 13 litres in? Well it lasted the shortest distance I've ever had - 79 miles!
I'm thinking the fuel pump mst have been faulty or tampered with.

I've tried very hard to get so much fuel in there again and with only a few miles in to the reserve I can barely get more than 10.

I've no posted up on that other board but I will do - thanks for the link. Thumbs Up
____________________
Shaft drives rule. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

scol1
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most welcome sir!
____________________
CB1300,a proper bike!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 51.97 Kb