Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Mars Bar Plates

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

What size plate do you have?
I stick to the 64mm letter of the law, Orificer.
63%
 63%  [ 37 ]
The letters are (almost) the right height, but I got my dog to chew round the edges.
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
I'm a chocoholic.
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 58

Author Message

BadDog
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Mars Bar Plates Reply with quote

I had my whole Saturday planned out. I'd just received my R&G plate hanger through the post, and Infinity had rung me up to say my single seat had arrived.

So first stop was the local plate shop to get an almost legal plate.

They don't have any 7" by 5" blanks (the one I wanted). And the one bigger looks enormous, and the one smaller looks like a mars bar... so I bought it.

So the back of my bike looks great but I've been regretting it ever since.

What does everyone else have? And if you've been pulled with a small plate, what have they done to you?
____________________
VFR400 NC30 > Kawasaki ZX6R > YAMAHA YZF-R1 > Moto Morini Corsaro Veloce
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a standard one as I'm not fussed about the size of my backend (oo-er missus!)

However, I saw what I believe to be the smallest I've ever seen while on the way back from Brands the other week. It was significantly smaller than a mars bar!

In fact, I was hard pressed to tell at first whether the bike actually had one fitted at all. It did, but it wasn't much bigger than a strip of Dymo tape!

I shouldn't worry about yours, they'll only do you for it if they're in a bad mood. Wink
____________________
Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP Sad
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary


Last edited by Adam_P on 10:52 - 11 Oct 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite mars bar, but i hate the big chunky ones.

Razz Thumbs Up

Edit:- I'm a tart and this is an excuse to show it off. Cool
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard one, simply because when I get pulled over, it's one less thing for them to hassle me about.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

6x9, they have threatened that they could fine me but it's always just a 'fix it' kinda thing, no fines etc.

https://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/kawasaki-zxr400-05-bikepics-424645.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big huge lorry one on the back of one of my bikes. I want to be the first person in the UK to be done for having an oversized numberplate on my bike.

Oversized ones are dead cheap and you don't have all the hassle about providing your V5 and such, lorry drivers are losing them/leaving them on the back of a trailer all the time. You can walk into an HGV suppliers and have one made up on the spot for a fiver. Thumbs Up

I once saw a numberplate that had been made by drawing round a rizla packet. Only just big enough to take a single screw through the middle Laughing
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

siggi and stinkwheel, you got pics for your bikes would be good to see!
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smallest I've got one made is 1" off, but the correct size numbers.

Have seen a ducati that replaced the reflector between the pipes and the seat with a plate of the same size.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

squid36
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 19 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

did have a small plate but after being stopped 3 times and fined £30 twice went back to legal size (dont like it though Sad )
____________________
they say life begins at 40 but i think it begins at 140 !!!!!!!

https://www.mayhem-paintball.co.uk/ essex premier paintball site
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy13_uk wrote:
siggi and stinkwheel, you got pics for your bikes would be good to see!


Doesn't really show the numberplate though. It is bolted to the back of the ammo box.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p9110055_edit.jpg
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol omg stinkwheel, surely that isnt road worthy?!?!?pritty good though! Thumbs Up
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike's illegal enough without one. Laughing I've yet to be pulled, though I think they tried and I didn't notice, I just kept riding. They sat behind me for several miles and then overtook approaching a roundabout while giving me the evil eye. Laughing
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy13_uk wrote:
lol omg stinkwheel, surely that isnt road worthy?!?!?pritty good though! Thumbs Up


It was road legal at the time. You used to get away with a daylight only MOT by virtue of 'being designed for off road use' ie fitting a knobbly tyre. I think they changed it now Sad Nowt much wrong with the rolling chassis.

Roadworthy is an entirely different question Rolling Eyes
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best one is saw was on a gixxer 1100 streetfighter. He basically got an old oil cooler/radiator, sprayed it yellow and spraypainted the letters on it Thumbs Up. It was really cool as it was a full functioning cooler.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ZZR Girl
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:19 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killa, is that really your registration number or is just done for the sake of the pic?

I did see a silver VFR in our local Tesco's car park not that long ago, with VFR as his reg plate. I thought that was cool, but yours wins hands down if it's real!
____________________
Keep it shiny!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah haha mine is bloody legal size! Still have to cut off the mudguard though.
https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/Fast_tzr/mybike4.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was road legal at the time. You used to get away with a daylight only MOT by virtue of 'being designed for off road use' ie fitting a knobbly tyre. I think they changed it now Nowt much wrong with the rolling chassis.


This bike in the picture (SL125) only has a daytime MOT and it was tested about 8/9 months ago. I don't know if the law has changed since then though?

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/Matwithbike2.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's standard, keeps the police away.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkyPancake
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:01 - 11 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard sail for me, but I do have a nice tail tidy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SteWhit
Nova Slayer



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 11 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine an Inch smaller on both sides than the legal size. It looks better that the standard one, but not small enough to get hassle of the police.

Got it off Ebay for £10, they do any size, any font and additional stuff round the edges if you want for no extra cost.
____________________
Are You Serious??
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JeffT
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 11 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteWhit wrote:
I have mine an Inch smaller on both sides than the legal size. It looks better that the standard one, but not small enough to get hassle of the police.

Got it off Ebay for £10, they do any size, any font and additional stuff round the edges if you want for no extra cost.


same here and not been stopped yet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BadDog
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:48 - 11 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
However, I saw what I believe to be the smallest I've ever seen while on the way back from Brands the other week. It was significantly smaller than a mars bar!

In fact, I was hard pressed to tell at first whether the bike actually had one fitted at all. It did, but it wasn't much bigger than a strip of Dymo tape!


Thanks, mate. S'funny, I saw the biggest piss take plate when I was coming back from the MotoGP at Donnington (Do you remember that hot, sunny day Rolling Eyes ). Wasn't so much the size, more the positioning. It was below the seat cowling, about as far back as it could go. Well funny.
____________________
VFR400 NC30 > Kawasaki ZX6R > YAMAHA YZF-R1 > Moto Morini Corsaro Veloce
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

strag
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 11 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres mine, not strictly legal but not an obvious pull
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/strag/plate2.jpg
____________________
carbon bling
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tintin
Traffic Copper



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:45 - 11 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Have seen a ducati that replaced the reflector between the pipes and the seat with a plate of the same size.

My mate did this when he lived in Belgium, we went to the Dutch TT and they loved it.
____________________
The older I get the better I was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien




Joined: 25 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 11 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard, can't be arsed to spend money just so the cops have a reason to pull me.
____________________
02 Firestorm.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.74 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 134.14 Kb