Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Riding the Aprilia RS250 in torrential rain is...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Riding the Aprilia RS250 in torrential rain is... Reply with quote

...Nothing short of miserable.
Warming up the RS in the peeing rain, the lovely clouds of two stroke smoke are mercilessly smashed to the ground by raindrops the size of lamborghinis, while the engine struggles to idle as the bike warms up on my drive.
It's been like this for 15 minutes, the RS is always a bi*ch to warm up in the morning, and with bad weather like this - torrential rain and flood warnings everywhere, I'm in far from the best mood.
In the early morning dark, I can see the sidelights of the RS flickering slightly as the RS engine "dof dof dof dof"'s it's way to something resembling a normal idle. I'm getting changed indoors, it'd be suicidal to try it outside.
Leathers on, fleece on top, gloves on and pull the cuffs of the fleece over my gloves.

Well, off I go on the RS. The engine's since cut out in the cold and it's another three minutes of blipping the throttle, throwing huge white clouds of smoke out of the back, before the temperature guage finally reads 30 again, and I'm ready to go.
I flick main beam on, and watch the tacho needle start dancing about - a normal feature of RS's apparently, but not one that serves to improve my mood.

Still, throttle open, revs increase. Let clutch out, bike starts moving, revs die down and bike stalls.
See my RS has a very infuriating problem. The grips have no glue on. In wet weather, no sooner do I open the throttle than the throttle tube rotates inside the loose grip, closing off the carbs again - something which I mean to fix shortly.

Grabbing the throttle tightly to keep it open, I start the bike again, am greeted with the RS struggling to clear her throat and ride off.

Oh. What. Fun.
Riding up the road, looking at the reflection of my lights in the tarmac, while the rain makes the RS feel distinctly unsteady on its wheels. I bimble round the corner at the top of my road, and set off down the hill while a dozen unpleasant outcomes register in my mind, as I see wet drain covers, and to my horror, wet piles of leaves in the road.

What follows is 20 minutes of the throttle trying to close itself, 20 minutes of spray, and the RS being reluctant to do anything more than what i'm doing - sitting there, shivering, not really getting excited about anything.

Still, to the RS's credit, the articulated lorries in front are quickly overtaken, and it's possible to see again when I don't have clouds of spray in my face. But then come the roundabouts.
On the RS you have two choices in this weather:
1. Bimble round and hope car drivers don't overtake you.
2. Try to go round normally and then scare the crap out of yourself when the bike hits the powerband, usually spinning up the back in the process - it's worst in bad weather.

Still, eventually I get to work, but I can't help feeling that in this weather, the RS250 is totally out of its element.
Hot weather, blazing sun, sticky tyres and twisty roads can be heaven on the RS.
Cold wet weather, the last darkness of the previous night left over, spray and diesel everywhere? Equally miserable.

While I didn't mind the weather too much, the RS is too highly strung to ride in any other way than "hastily". Ride the RS Hastily in the wet and it's no fun at all. What I need is a lobbable inexpensive-to-fix bike, a nice four stroke that doesn't take ages to warm up in the morning, a bike where the power comes on when you open the throttle. What I have, is a little exotic gem of a bike, that in summer makes you feel like a GP god, but in winter makes you feel like a scooter boy.

Bring on summer Thumbs Down
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tony532
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:33 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the joys of owning a 2 stroke

i remember it well Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:39 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nicely written
much better than when you did a review of your nsr125

if you wanna sell you rs250, let me know if you are within 100miles of birmingham as I am thinking about buying one.

you could get a 250 4 stroke like a cb250 or mz250 for a few hundred on ebay for the winter
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:43 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha.
Well...

When I say Bring on Summer, I have every intention of doing it on the RS. As I said to Craig (when talking about commuters compared to expensive sportsbikes), the ride you get is a reflection of the cost of the bike.
Cheap bike - frugal and uninspired ride.
Expensive bike - excitement, exclusivity, and a damn sexy bike to blast around on.

I love the RS to bits, it's the weather I hate not the bike.
The RS is staying on my drive for a long time to come, or until I die, whichever is sooner Razz .
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:45 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reckon its good to have one bike for commuting and another for fun
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:49 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe told ya mate Wink

(4T): thumb the starter & go! (any condition)
Sure yours is more fun in the Summer, but not when you have to wait 20 mins for it to warm it up in the pissing rain.

(and then it blows up 5 mins down the road)

I'll stop now. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:53 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RS is no more likely to blow up than a 4t 400.
We have this little thing called preventative maintenance which is something that, while your 4ters have the luxury of forgetting about it (probably because you have lots of fiddly tappets and valves etc to have to arse about with too), we do as a matter of course.

If you maintain a bike, it works.
If you don't, ir doesn't.

Simple.
Now enough of this engine blowing up crap. I've had enough of this rubbish from 4T people who try to convince themselves that the 2Ts will blow up just to stop themselves from worrying about not having the most fun bike on the road come summer...

...penis envy on 2 wheels is all it is...

..."well your penis might be twice as big and twice the fun, but it'll drop off soon so ner ner" Rolling Eyes

Laughing Thumbs Up
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:10 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
I've had enough of this rubbish from 4T people who try to convince themselves that the 2Ts will blow up just to stop themselves from worrying about not having the most fun bike on the road come summer...

It is only a 250 though Wink
As an aside, I got my TZR125 going in about 5 minutes this morning without all that palaver (in Sheffield) I know its harsh in the sticks but I think your bike may be broken Very Happy
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:16 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RD is lovely in any weather. Starts first kick every morning, no choke as well! Leave it to warm up for a few mins, then take it slow til the temp gauge gets half way, then I open her up a bit more. Never dies on me, and never fails to idle. Only time it dies is when it runs out of fuel. Very Happy

Just wait til summer Andy, then the RS will be in its element!! Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:19 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as u dont bin it in the winter Shifty
____________________
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:31 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I'll go for a DT or something when it comes to 2 smokes, it should be in it's element, despite the, er, elements. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:34 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

a DT will be far more slippy in the wet as it doesnt have tyres that are designed for road use

unless you get the supermoto version and they are a bit rare
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:38 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can I not get road-use tyres for the normal version?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:40 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the wheels are the wrong size
you would need to get supermoto wheels
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:41 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Shit on my parade why don't you. Wink
I'll be careful, if I ever get it! Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:42 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:

Cheap bike - frugal and uninspired ride.
Expensive bike - excitement, exclusivity, and a damn sexy bike to blast around on.


Biggest pile of 'betty swollocks' I've ever read on this forum.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:45 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie_biker wrote:
Sad Shit on my parade why don't you. Wink
I'll be careful, if I ever get it! Mad


i only mentioned it cos you were suggesting that a dt125 would be better in the wet

to be honest as its got less power than the rs250, it might not be too bad. you should still warm it up though before you ride off as a dt is still a 2 stroke

any bike isnt as fun in torrential rain. you just notice the difference more when a bike is particularly fun in the dry
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:16 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask dischord about what it took to start the viffer the other day...

With a freshly charged battery aswell.

Try it lives outside, but still.

Nothing should be /that/ much hassle
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:13 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so 20 minutes is a bit of an overestimation, but the RS takes a decent time to warm up, frequently cutting out if you leave it ticking over on its own without blipping the throttle (the NSR was the same in the cold though).

EDIT...

...or not Embarassed .

The RS took 4 minutes to warm up to 33 degrees C Laughing

Maybe it was just the rain that made it feel a long time - it's not raining today and it's distinctly warmer than yesterday Thumbs Up Mr. Green
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:16 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
a DT will be far more slippy in the wet as it doesnt have tyres that are designed for road use

unless you get the supermoto version and they are a bit rare


My DT was fine in the wet! Didn't like drain covers at all but then what bike does.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:20 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great, he leaves visordown so now we get his bullshit stories. Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:25 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect any vehicle that makes 230hp per litre straight from the box will need some time to warm up and need to be done properly.
My RS takes a while to warm up properly in cold, can be ten minutes or more in crappy conditions.

However my RS doesn't do any of the other things mentioned though. It did have a dead battery previously (like totally dead), it would struggle to idle if you left the lights on as there wasn't enough power to make a decent spark, new battery now and it's fine.


So where's the 'I told you so' rating? Razz


Incidentally, my RS250 is for sale / swap now Smile. (Made my mind up to definitely sell now it's a bad time of year to sell, Doh!) However got someone looking at it on Thursday that seems pretty interested, though that'll be a swap rather than a sale.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:34 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
before the temperature guage finally reads 30 again, and I'm ready to go.


you only warm it up to 30 degrees? i always warm my RS125 up to 60 before i go anywhere, doesnt it do it a bit of harm going at that temp?

also

Quote:
However got someone looking at it on Thursday that seems pretty interested, though that'll be a swap rather than a sale.


what is he bringing to swap it with? why you want to get rid?
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving it ticking over while you put your gear on, no wonder it cuts out, the amount of shite that is covering your spark plugs. I start mine up and blip the throttle for about 30 seconds then go. Not had a problem yet.

Also, 2T's are more un-reliable than 4t's, reputations don't grow from no where. I know many people whose bikes have seized for no reason. "Poliniman" had done a full engine rebuild and 2k km later the top end went. Same goes for a mate on his 125.

It's a good bike etc etc...But don't kid yourself into thinking it's ultra reliable even if you stick to the service guide, because it's not.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

riichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to leve mine 2 mins on idle. now i tern it on and leve it live 30sec untill i have put my helmet on Mr. Green Thumbs Up
____________________
.......... PLOD ............ zx636 2004
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 1.01 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.76 Kb