|
|
| Author |
Message |
| RobB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RobB Spanner Monkey

Joined: 29 Apr 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:32 - 15 Nov 2005 Post subject: Your kids and your bike |
 |
|
Been meaning to ask this question for a while, and it has resurfaced in my mind because of Jodie wanting to give up biking.
Kids. Your own kids. On the back of your bike.
At what age did they start riding pillion with you?
How does it make you feel?
Have you ever had an accident with them on there?
Personally, my own point of view so far, I have no kids. I can’t imagine the point when I’d be comfortable taking them as pillion. I think it would have to be the same time that I realised they were growing up. Probably about 14/15 before I’d let them anywhere near my bike full stop, but I don’t know.
I’m slightly spoiled in that I have both a car and a bike, so wouldn’t have to use the bike unless I wanted to with an additional person. I just don’t think I could ever get over it if the worst happened, and there was a crash. I’m not going to wrap them in cotton wool, and I am aware that being a passenger the car carries a risk too, but it’s different.
Thoughts? ____________________ - Yeah, you know the type, loud as a motorbike, wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight.
- The only thing I learned from love, was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you.
- If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one, don't be late. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| alfie698 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 alfie698 Nova Slayer

Joined: 28 Jul 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:44 - 15 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think I first went on the back of my dads bike (Honda C90 ) at the age of about 9. Basically as soon as I could reach the pegs, fit a lid and hang on.
A friend's son already wants to go on the back of mine, and he's only 5. Another convert.  ____________________ Ted: "These are small; the ones out there are far away."
Dougal: "I still dont get it, Ted."
https://www.bikepics.com/members/alfie698 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tatters |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tatters Exxon Valdez

Joined: 05 Jan 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:59 - 15 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Me and my sister were regularly taken on the back of my dads 250 as soon as we could reach the foot rests when we were about 5-6y old and l once went on my dads CBX550 before he sold it. l guess we both took to bikes very well because both of us enjoyed it and always wanted to go on the bike. ____________________ Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mrchips |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mrchips World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:04 - 15 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
My dad didn't have bikes after I was about 3 then he bought one when I was about 12 so that's when I first went out. Seen people who couldn't be any older than 8 on the back of R1s though  ____________________ Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Barney |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Barney Spanner Monkey

Joined: 17 Jun 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| quacker_boy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 quacker_boy Cuddle Bitch

Joined: 06 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:32 - 15 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
11 and 13. Had to wait until got enough gear. They can share a jacket but had to get their own trousers with protection. They each have their own helmets and gloves. Their mother insisted
How does it make me feel? - careful and responsible. I doubt I'll carry a more precious cargo.
 ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RobB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RobB Spanner Monkey

Joined: 29 Apr 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:48 - 15 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I get that you'll feel a lot more careful/defensive with your kids on the back. Makes perfect sense.
After reading Mister James' crash thread, and having a few moments where the "unavoidable" accident comes close, that's what worries me. A crash could happen at any point, with little warning, and with nothing you can do about it. The feeling of seeing your bike or yourself go sliding down the road is one thing. Seeing your offspring do the same would be a whole lot worse.
I'm not judging ANYONE for doing this, and I'm sure, or at least hope, I'll get to do it too. It's just that right now, I can't see a time when I'd be happy taking my kids on the back of a bike. ____________________ - Yeah, you know the type, loud as a motorbike, wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight.
- The only thing I learned from love, was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you.
- If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one, don't be late. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dainesefreak |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dainesefreak World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Apr 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Biker-Kev |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Biker-Kev Brolly Dolly

Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:04 - 15 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I will add a suitable reply in around 10 years when i have children ____________________ Zhongyu ZY50, Aprilia SR50, Motorhispania RX50, Aprilia RS125, Honda VFR400 nc24 and my corsa
https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikerkev/
Theory: Passed 8/11/2005 Practical: Passed 13/12/2005 Proud holder of A2 license |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yzf750r |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yzf750r World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Nov 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:24 - 15 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
The first time I went on the back of a bike, I must of been 4-5 on a RM250 in the good old days!
My daughter is 2 1/2 and I have taken her from my gate to my garage, on my tank!
I wouldn't dare take her out for another 14 years yet!
However we have bought her a quad for Xmas!
My son is 16 and as only been on the back twice!
 ____________________ 04 zx10r with mods - 187.4bhp at the wheel! :o |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| wildcat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 wildcat Spanner Monkey

Joined: 17 Dec 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:27 - 15 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
My 8 year old daughter comes on rideouts with me, She has wanted to for a long time, but I told her she had to wait til she was 8. Now for christmas she has ditched the usual toys and dolls and wants a new lid and a 1 piece suit for racing. This completely came from her, I haven't encoraged her to race, I took her to the racing at first to show her the thrills and SPILLS. But she's hooked.
Her Dad hates me for it and she now hates him for not helping, she just discovered he bought her a typewriter for christmas, it was so funny..."Mummy, he got me a typewriter!! What am I gonna do with a typewriter, maybe we can sell it and buy my new gloves"  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| wildcat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 wildcat Spanner Monkey

Joined: 17 Dec 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:29 - 15 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
My 6 year old by the way, hates going faster than 5mph and would rather wash the bike than ride on it. The baby just loves it, but she has a long time to wait.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| msgander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 msgander Brolly Dolly

Joined: 31 Aug 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:57 - 15 Nov 2005 Post subject: hmmm |
 |
|
dont think I could ever trust myself to take my daughter on road with me, however quite happy to muck about on the field on the scrambler...
The same goes for if she wants to ride them, happy for her as an under 10 to muck about in the field......not sure I'd feel great her going on the road, how stupid is that? She could probably do just as much damage in a field?! ____________________ Always believe that your guardian angel flies a bit faster than you............... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sadie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sadie World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| steveh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 steveh World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Aug 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:37 - 15 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
My dad used to take me on the back of his when i was in year 5 in school so i would of been about 10 - 11 im a lanky git so i could reach the foot pegs, i also wore a piss pot lid, so thank god theres no photos.
Steve. ____________________ Current : 06 Zx10r, 07 Wr450f SM, 74 850 norton commando, 63 bsa b40, 1962 Triton 650, 67 Triumph Tr6r, 1955 Triton 750, 1978 TY250E. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| KLR600 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 KLR600 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| quacker_boy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 quacker_boy Cuddle Bitch

Joined: 06 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sadie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sadie World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Psychonaut |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Psychonaut Spanner Monkey

Joined: 10 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| woo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 woo World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:36 - 16 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
when i have a kid of my own ill let you know!  ____________________ Elen sila lummen omentielvo! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| distortion |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 distortion Nearly there...

Joined: 08 Mar 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|