Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Your kids and your bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

RobB
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Your kids and your bike Reply with quote

Been meaning to ask this question for a while, and it has resurfaced in my mind because of Jodie wanting to give up biking.

Kids. Your own kids. On the back of your bike.

At what age did they start riding pillion with you?

How does it make you feel?

Have you ever had an accident with them on there?

Personally, my own point of view so far, I have no kids. I can’t imagine the point when I’d be comfortable taking them as pillion. I think it would have to be the same time that I realised they were growing up. Probably about 14/15 before I’d let them anywhere near my bike full stop, but I don’t know.

I’m slightly spoiled in that I have both a car and a bike, so wouldn’t have to use the bike unless I wanted to with an additional person. I just don’t think I could ever get over it if the worst happened, and there was a crash. I’m not going to wrap them in cotton wool, and I am aware that being a passenger the car carries a risk too, but it’s different.

Thoughts?
____________________
- Yeah, you know the type, loud as a motorbike, wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight.
- The only thing I learned from love, was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you.
- If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one, don't be late.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alfie698
Nova Slayer



Joined: 28 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:44 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I first went on the back of my dads bike (Honda C90 Embarassed ) at the age of about 9. Basically as soon as I could reach the pegs, fit a lid and hang on.

A friend's son already wants to go on the back of mine, and he's only 5. Another convert. Wink
____________________
Ted: "These are small; the ones out there are far away."
Dougal: "I still dont get it, Ted."
https://www.bikepics.com/members/alfie698
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my sister were regularly taken on the back of my dads 250 as soon as we could reach the foot rests when we were about 5-6y old and l once went on my dads CBX550 before he sold it. l guess we both took to bikes very well because both of us enjoyed it and always wanted to go on the bike.
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad didn't have bikes after I was about 3 then he bought one when I was about 12 so that's when I first went out. Seen people who couldn't be any older than 8 on the back of R1s though Laughing
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Barney
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was about 12 when my Dad first took me for a ride on his Ducati 748 Biposto (mother must never know). It was the scariest thing ever, I loved it.
____________________
CG125|CB400SF|CBR600FX|Triumph Daytona T595|CBR929RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:27 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dad's been biking around for ages, but my mum had a bit of a problem to deal with. she told my dad to get rid of his bike when i was about 3 because i was obsessed with bikes and worried i'd end up wanting one or wanting to go on the back.

7 years later on my tenth birthday my dad won the fight and he bought a BMW F650GS and so i was given regularly trips on that, much to my mum's worry.

7 years on from that and i'm riding a bike of my own and my mum's shitting bricks every single day!

my advice rob? don't let your kids go on the back of your bike until A) they're confident they want to B) the missus agrees and C) you're confident that your child's life is in your hands so ride safer than you've ever done before.

chris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:32 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 and 13. Had to wait until got enough gear. They can share a jacket but had to get their own trousers with protection. They each have their own helmets and gloves. Their mother insisted Wink

How does it make me feel? - careful and responsible. I doubt I'll carry a more precious cargo.

Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RobB
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:48 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that you'll feel a lot more careful/defensive with your kids on the back. Makes perfect sense.

After reading Mister James' crash thread, and having a few moments where the "unavoidable" accident comes close, that's what worries me. A crash could happen at any point, with little warning, and with nothing you can do about it. The feeling of seeing your bike or yourself go sliding down the road is one thing. Seeing your offspring do the same would be a whole lot worse.

I'm not judging ANYONE for doing this, and I'm sure, or at least hope, I'll get to do it too. It's just that right now, I can't see a time when I'd be happy taking my kids on the back of a bike.
____________________
- Yeah, you know the type, loud as a motorbike, wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight.
- The only thing I learned from love, was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you.
- If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one, don't be late.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is too young at the moment, only 16 months old. When the time comes I would rather him be on the back with me than be a young kid on a bike on his own I'm afraid.

If he does want a bike when he's older then he can have one on my rules. I'll buy it and he'll have to do all the training I want him to. No scooters because I feel they are dangerous, underpowered and easily bullied. Unfair? Probably but such is life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Biker-Kev
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add a suitable reply in around 10 years when i have children
____________________
Zhongyu ZY50, Aprilia SR50, Motorhispania RX50, Aprilia RS125, Honda VFR400 nc24 and my corsa
https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikerkev/
Theory: Passed 8/11/2005 Practical: Passed 13/12/2005 Proud holder of A2 license
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yzf750r
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I went on the back of a bike, I must of been 4-5 on a RM250 in the good old days! Laughing

My daughter is 2 1/2 and I have taken her from my gate to my garage, on my tank!

I wouldn't dare take her out for another 14 years yet!
However we have bought her a quad for Xmas! Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up Karma

My son is 16 and as only been on the back twice!

Thumbs Up
____________________
04 zx10r with mods - 187.4bhp at the wheel! :o
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wildcat
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 8 year old daughter comes on rideouts with me, She has wanted to for a long time, but I told her she had to wait til she was 8. Now for christmas she has ditched the usual toys and dolls and wants a new lid and a 1 piece suit for racing. This completely came from her, I haven't encoraged her to race, I took her to the racing at first to show her the thrills and SPILLS. But she's hooked.

Her Dad hates me for it and she now hates him for not helping, she just discovered he bought her a typewriter for christmas, it was so funny..."Mummy, he got me a typewriter!! What am I gonna do with a typewriter, maybe we can sell it and buy my new gloves" Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wildcat
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 6 year old by the way, hates going faster than 5mph and would rather wash the bike than ride on it. The baby just loves it, but she has a long time to wait. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

msgander
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

dont think I could ever trust myself to take my daughter on road with me, however quite happy to muck about on the field on the scrambler...

The same goes for if she wants to ride them, happy for her as an under 10 to muck about in the field......not sure I'd feel great her going on the road, how stupid is that? Wink She could probably do just as much damage in a field?!
____________________
Always believe that your guardian angel flies a bit faster than you...............
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't drive, so Sprogthing came everywhere on the back of the bike from about the age of five.

Until she was about 10, I would take her on the Virago, which had a sissy bar, and this made it easier for her.

She always had to wear her leathers, however.
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad used to take me on the back of his when i was in year 5 in school so i would of been about 10 - 11 im a lanky git so i could reach the foot pegs, i also wore a piss pot lid, so thank god theres no photos. Razz


Steve.
____________________
Current : 06 Zx10r, 07 Wr450f SM, 74 850 norton commando, 63 bsa b40, 1962 Triton 650, 67 Triumph Tr6r, 1955 Triton 750, 1978 TY250E.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad starting taking me out as soon as I could reach the pegs. Then my mum passed her test and she eventually started taking me out for some pillion experience as I was only small and manageable!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:15 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

my girlfriends mum has made her promise she will never go on the back of my motorbike

for ages girlfriend has been dead against it anyway, but recently has expressed an interest in going on the back of my big scooter so ive bought her a helmet and we are gonna give it a go.

after all her mum said nothing about scooters. shes the kind of mum who would kick off too as she is a deputy head at a school

i have seen on ebay someone selling their bike who said their kids wd fall asleep on the back pillion seat which sounds a bit dangerous
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:47 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildcat wrote:
Her Dad hates me for it and she now hates him for not helping, she just discovered he bought her a typewriter for christmas, it was so funny..."Mummy, he got me a typewriter!! What am I gonna do with a typewriter, maybe we can sell it and buy my new gloves" Laughing


HAHAHA!!!! Laughing

i feel kinda sorry for the dad though!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
i have seen on ebay someone selling their bike who said their kids wd fall asleep on the back pillion seat which sounds a bit dangerous


Sprogthing used to fall asleep on the back regularly - never fell off once.

Quite logical really - you don't fall out of your bed (well, most of us don't!) when you go to sleep.
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have kids and would have say 10-12 years old however I used to go down the shops (3 miles) on the back of my Dads Honda 90 when I was around 8 so really I should let them on at that age. Depends on how confident they are I suppose, judge each child by their merits. I loved the experience and would n't want my child to miss out on that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i have a kid of my own ill let you know! Wink
____________________
Elen sila lummen omentielvo!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

distortion
Nearly there...



Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadie wrote:
Quite logical really - you don't fall out of your bed (well, most of us don't!) when you go to sleep.


I once fell out of a top bunk bed (about a five foot drop) and stayed asleep on the floor. Mum heard a huge bang came running in and there i was fast asleep Laughing

I took my now ex partners son out on the bike, he was seven and loved it. It was only round the block, but he wanted to go again and again and again.

Wouldn't have taken him any further, not untill he fully understood what the roads are like. I mean at seven years old what kid watches the road and says 'mummy that person is speeding' or 'mummy that man in that car is going to pull out on us'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being about 4-5 and everynight waiting for my dad to come home from work on his cx500 so I could run out of the front door with an old helmet and old jacket and gloves and ride up the driveway. I can't remember the first time I went out for a proper ride but i was still in junior school so about 10 I think. At the moment I don't even like taking mates on the back.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:45 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i had kids, i wd take them on the back but i wd ride like a granny and do a route which avoided dodgy junctions.

If any fell asleep on the back, I wdnt take them again.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.87 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.59 Kb