|
|
| Author |
Message |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:28 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: The b******* finally got me ... |
 |
|
It was only a matter of time but I was finally nabbed for speeding yesterday. There are two annoying factors to this though, a) I was in the car (OK, it is a Scooby) and b) I have a strong feeling I was set-up.
I know everyone who's ever been done for speeding has a conspiracy theory and I know it was my fault for going too fast but there were some odd circumstances.
I was on my way back from Cornwall to Southampton and I was doing a steady 80 along the A35 (Puddletown bypass). I pulled out to overtake a Ford Focus Zetec and was just rolling by at 80 when he puts his foot down. So I went a bit quicker and so did he, I now made the mistake of letting him wind me up so I put my foot down further (now doing about 100) and so does he.
Just over the ton and suddenly he goes backwards like there's no tomorrow, he didn't just lift off, one second he's there, the next he's 100 yards behind me. I lift off, drop into the inside lane and carry on at about 75-80. As I topped the next hill, I saw a marked car in the far distance behind me and had that dread feeling cos I knew he was after me.
Lo and behold, he pulled me over and we had a little chat, I didn't try to wriggle out of it, just explained that I'd let the other driver get to me and that I knew it was stupid. Well, it's a bit hard to argue when there's a laser gun on the dash with 105 on the display.
Anyway, I was fearing a ban but he offered me three points and a fine of 60 quid, so I gave him his arm back and went on my way.
I know it was only a matter of time but the part of the blue Ford Focus is the bit that annoys me, either he was a member of the public and had seen the speed trap earlier (the copper was up a raised sliplane as there were no bridges) in which case he is a ****, or he was a copper, in which case he is a ****ing ****.
If the Focus had been just behind me and I'd got done then fine (sic), I could cope with that, it's the fact that he slammed his brakes on so quickly and the fact that it looked like a standard Focus Zetec but sure as hell didn't go like one.
Either way, I'm lucky and happy with 3 points but I get this feeling that the Plod are playing at silly buggers. Unfortunately, I didn't get the number of the Focus, if I had, I would have waited a few days and reported it with a false name from a phone box, and kept doing that every couple of weeks, just in case it is a plod car
So, if anyone is using the A35 and a light blue Focus Zetec won't let you by, drop in behind him and get the number plate.
Cheers
Grim ____________________ Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mister James |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mister James I want to believe!

Joined: 10 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:35 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
It would seem more likely to me that he was a civvie who knew where the camera was. Leaving aside the thorny issue of how many police officers would speed to entrap you, it would be appalling bad luck for you to happen to be driving down the road at the exact same time and place as one of those individuals.
Probably just another punter who gets irate when people show up or disrespect his wheels, just like you!
(meant in the nicest possible way!)
Still, they've relieved you of £60 and put 3 points on your license, so I guess you are entitled to a feeling of being done - although it does raise the point that if they were breaking the law to get you, would they not push for the maximum penalty? Seems if they went to all that effort, they'd want to pin the whole shebang on you, rather than the fine and points that they could have got you for at 80mph? ____________________ >Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:41 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Quite possibly true, probably was a civvy, in which case I'd love to have ten minutes alone with them To talk about the right and wrongs of speeding, of course.
I can't really complain, I did the speed, no-one else but I reckon that most people, if they were in my position, would have tried to get by. Also, I thought that accelerating when someone is trying to overtake you is a no-no in the highway code?
Either way, if this is all I get for 105mph, I'm really not going to complain. I might well have done much higher speeds (on private roads, obviously ) on my bike and not been done (which I couldn't have been as I was on a private road ) so 3 points and 60 quid is not too bad.
Cheers
Grim ____________________ Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mister James |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mister James I want to believe!

Joined: 10 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 10:47 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
| the grim reaper wrote: | Quite possibly true, probably was a civvy, in which case I'd love to have ten minutes alone with them  To talk about the right and wrongs of speeding, of course.
|
You see, the police's campaign is working, it's converted you to a speed limit evangalist!
| Quote: |
Also, I thought that accelerating when someone is trying to overtake you is a no-no in the highway code?
|
Big time - it's pretty unsafe in many situations, and the highway code specifically states that if someone is speeding and goes to overtake you, it's best to let them.
Like I said, probably just a jumped up little tit trying to race you or cut you up.
| Quote: |
Either way, if this is all I get for 105mph, I'm really not going to complain. I might well have done much higher speeds (on private roads, obviously  ) on my bike and not been done (which I couldn't have been as I was on a private road  ) so 3 points and 60 quid is not too bad.
|
Well, there you go! If you divide that £60 between all the times you've gone over about 80, and it probably works out quite cheap! ____________________ >Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dainesefreak |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dainesefreak World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Apr 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:03 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
What were you thinking? Don't you know that the Ford Focuss is THE fastest car on the road! Especailly the diesel and 1.6.
Unluckily lucky. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kb-zxr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kb-zxr Could Be A Chat Bot
Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:10 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Unlucky you got caught, but it seems the copper was OK about it.
Look on the positive side. Least you aint walking to work today
(Shakes head) These bloody scooby drivers.........  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rookie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rookie World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:53 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
There are some Focus' out therre that are extremely powerful, but for me that would fuel the idea that it could be an undercover copper. Still, fair enough that you only got £60 and 3 points!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| riichy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 riichy World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:57 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
unlucky
copper seemed fair though  ____________________ .......... PLOD ............ zx636 2004 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:49 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
The copper was a top bloke but then, I didn't get out and ask him why he wasn't out catching proper criminals
I would agree to all the advice that I've read in the past, be polite, hold your hands up and take the punishment. He knew I was guilty, I knew I was guilty, I wasn't going to insult his intelligence by saying that it wasn't me.
Luckily for me, he was understanding and young enough to probably understand that it's easily done. If I'd been in North Wales when it happened, I reckon I'd be walking to work soon.
Now, does anyone want to swap a CB1300 for a Blade? I reckon I need to do something to slow myself down on the bike.
Cheers
Grim ____________________ Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JeffT |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JeffT Crazy Courier
Joined: 05 May 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:23 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sorry to hear about that mate.
Have you had your scooby usuage rights revoked?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jack_Cheese |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jack_Cheese World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:43 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Wriggle like a drugged-up worm! You can get out of speeding fines, if his speedo wasn't calibrated that day, the evidence is null and void As the only way they can calculate your speed is if the speed gun was aimed at your plate, has the date and time etc, and if the police car's speed can be accurately subtracted from that on the picture.
Give 'em hell!
Jack ____________________ www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jack_Cheese |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jack_Cheese World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:48 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oops, thought it was from a moving police car, my bad. At least you didn't get the instant ban
Jack ____________________ www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZRX61 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZRX61 Victor Meldrew
Joined: 05 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Hotdog |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Hotdog Nearly there...

Joined: 28 Sep 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:57 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Jack_Cheese wrote: | Wriggle like a drugged-up worm! You can get out of speeding fines, if his speedo wasn't calibrated that day, the evidence is null and void As the only way they can calculate your speed is if the speed gun was aimed at your plate, has the date and time etc, and if the police car's speed can be accurately subtracted from that on the picture.
Give 'em hell!
Jack |
There is currently some dispute over the accuracy of speed guns and motorcycles.
Always "Wriggle like a drugged-up worm" as Jack says.
My success rate at challenging alleged charges has been over 90%.
At one point I beat 13 alleged offences in a 3 month period.
There are a lot of things that can work in your favour.
The CPS can vary between not knowing what is going on, to not having prepared the case against you, to not having the slightest idea of what is going on and being completely indifferent.
Only my personal opinion and experience of course.
As far as being polite and grovelling for mercy, I don't even bother to acknowledge any questions unless I consider them to be relevant.
Non-traffic pigs nearly always talk complete rubbish "you are lucky we aren't traffic cops or you'd have no licence by now"
Of course it would be rude to tell them they are talking crap so I just smile and decline to comment on anything.
Pretending you are deaf is always amusing as is suffering from claustrophobia if they 'ask' you into the back of the car.
Always carry a letter from your doctor explaining you have Tourettes Syndrome as well as the one excusing you from wearing a seatbelt due to a shoulder injury.
Remember, the police are there to protect and serve and will not mind you taping the conversation to play for your mates when you say gynaecologist or astronaut or deep sea diver when asked for your occupation (your occupation is one of the few details that you are required to provide) do they ask because they will treat you differently depending on your occupation ?
Never admit you have your licence on you, never admit you are in the wrong and it's only a request for you to sign a producer.
Remember, they are there for your fun.
Hotdog. ____________________ He's a gentleman, a scholar, he's an-acrobat, he's the one and only truly original.......
Hotdog....(Defender of the weak, the poor and the innocent)
He's The Ace - He's Amazing...He's the Strongest... He's The Quickest.... He's The Best! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:11 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: Re: The b******* finally got me ... |
 |
|
| ZRX61 wrote: | | the grim reaper wrote: | Just over the ton and suddenly he goes backwards like there's no tomorrow, he didn't just lift off, one second he's there, the next he's 100 yards behind me. I lift off, drop into the inside lane and carry on at about 75-80. As I topped the next hill, I saw a marked car in the far distance |
I love doing that to car drivers LMFAO!! |
Ah yes, so hilarious that one, just don't complain when you slam your brakes on and the car behind you knocks you off and runs over your head
Cheers
Grim ____________________ Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:13 - 28 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I used to do that to cars all the time on my bike. Get em in a race down the A90 then slam-on just before we went through one of the carefully hidden speed cameras that were there at the time. Leave them to rocket through it at three figure speeds and get flashed then overtake them again whilst pointing, laughing and doing the 'looser' handsignal
Used to break up the tedium of a long journey. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZRX61 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZRX61 Victor Meldrew
Joined: 05 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BenBray |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BenBray Spanner Monkey

Joined: 05 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:48 - 29 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
This might seem a little paranoid or whatever, but this sort of thing happened to my mate.
Again it was a Focus Zetec - I hear most or their newer fords are all based around the zetec engines by the way, and in the hands of the right driver they shift - as he was going along a nice wide dually.
Hes sitting behind this guy at about 75 when he decides to swing out and overtake. Being a corsa is takes... er... quite a while but just as hes about to overtake it speeds up. Obviously - you know what happened - and he ended up with his first ticket.
The only thing that seemed strange to me was the guys seating position. He was actually sat properly in his seat, with a fairly straight back and proper driving position.
We put it down to a tosser knowing where the cameras are, but I've heard a couple of these recently - just thought I'd point that out and tell you that you're not 100% paranoid...
Yet  ____________________ Current Bike: nc30 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kawakid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kawakid World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| extreme3d |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 extreme3d World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Dec 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZRX61 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZRX61 Victor Meldrew
Joined: 05 Nov 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| the grim reaper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 the grim reaper World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:16 - 29 Nov 2005 Post subject: Re: The b******* finally got me ... |
 |
|
| ZRX61 wrote: | | the grim reaper wrote: |
Eh? How in hells name did I make an 'uninformed assumption'? You said 'I love doing that to car drivers' after I told a story about someone 'slamming their brakes on after baiting another driver just before a speed trap'. |
I was refering to sucking people into speed traps, I'll type slower next time for the hard of thinking... |
I really should apologise, it's all my fault for not making sure that my crystal ball was clean so I would have a ****ing clue what you're on about.
I typed about someone slamming their brakes on, you replied saying that 'you love doing that to car drivers' and yet it's me that's hard of thinking because I didn't psychically guess that you meant that you just roll off the throttle?
How about next time, instead of typing slower, you just don't type at all?
Cheers
Grim ____________________ Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|