Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


The b******* finally got me ...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: The b******* finally got me ... Reply with quote

It was only a matter of time but I was finally nabbed for speeding yesterday. There are two annoying factors to this though, a) I was in the car (OK, it is a Scooby) and b) I have a strong feeling I was set-up.

I know everyone who's ever been done for speeding has a conspiracy theory and I know it was my fault for going too fast but there were some odd circumstances.

I was on my way back from Cornwall to Southampton and I was doing a steady 80 along the A35 (Puddletown bypass). I pulled out to overtake a Ford Focus Zetec and was just rolling by at 80 when he puts his foot down. So I went a bit quicker and so did he, I now made the mistake of letting him wind me up so I put my foot down further (now doing about 100) and so does he.

Just over the ton and suddenly he goes backwards like there's no tomorrow, he didn't just lift off, one second he's there, the next he's 100 yards behind me. I lift off, drop into the inside lane and carry on at about 75-80. As I topped the next hill, I saw a marked car in the far distance behind me and had that dread feeling cos I knew he was after me.

Lo and behold, he pulled me over and we had a little chat, I didn't try to wriggle out of it, just explained that I'd let the other driver get to me and that I knew it was stupid. Well, it's a bit hard to argue when there's a laser gun on the dash with 105 on the display.

Anyway, I was fearing a ban but he offered me three points and a fine of 60 quid, so I gave him his arm back and went on my way.

I know it was only a matter of time but the part of the blue Ford Focus is the bit that annoys me, either he was a member of the public and had seen the speed trap earlier (the copper was up a raised sliplane as there were no bridges) in which case he is a ****, or he was a copper, in which case he is a ****ing ****.

If the Focus had been just behind me and I'd got done then fine (sic), I could cope with that, it's the fact that he slammed his brakes on so quickly and the fact that it looked like a standard Focus Zetec but sure as hell didn't go like one.

Either way, I'm lucky and happy with 3 points but I get this feeling that the Plod are playing at silly buggers. Unfortunately, I didn't get the number of the Focus, if I had, I would have waited a few days and reported it with a false name from a phone box, and kept doing that every couple of weeks, just in case it is a plod car Twisted Evil

So, if anyone is using the A35 and a light blue Focus Zetec won't let you by, drop in behind him and get the number plate.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem more likely to me that he was a civvie who knew where the camera was. Leaving aside the thorny issue of how many police officers would speed to entrap you, it would be appalling bad luck for you to happen to be driving down the road at the exact same time and place as one of those individuals.

Probably just another punter who gets irate when people show up or disrespect his wheels, just like you! Mr. Green

(meant in the nicest possible way!)

Still, they've relieved you of £60 and put 3 points on your license, so I guess you are entitled to a feeling of being done - although it does raise the point that if they were breaking the law to get you, would they not push for the maximum penalty? Seems if they went to all that effort, they'd want to pin the whole shebang on you, rather than the fine and points that they could have got you for at 80mph?
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:41 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly true, probably was a civvy, in which case I'd love to have ten minutes alone with them Evil or Very Mad To talk about the right and wrongs of speeding, of course.

I can't really complain, I did the speed, no-one else but I reckon that most people, if they were in my position, would have tried to get by. Also, I thought that accelerating when someone is trying to overtake you is a no-no in the highway code?

Either way, if this is all I get for 105mph, I'm really not going to complain. I might well have done much higher speeds (on private roads, obviously Very Happy ) on my bike and not been done (which I couldn't have been as I was on a private road Very Happy ) so 3 points and 60 quid is not too bad.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
Quite possibly true, probably was a civvy, in which case I'd love to have ten minutes alone with them Evil or Very Mad To talk about the right and wrongs of speeding, of course.


You see, the police's campaign is working, it's converted you to a speed limit evangalist! Wink

Quote:

Also, I thought that accelerating when someone is trying to overtake you is a no-no in the highway code?


Big time - it's pretty unsafe in many situations, and the highway code specifically states that if someone is speeding and goes to overtake you, it's best to let them.

Like I said, probably just a jumped up little tit trying to race you or cut you up.

Quote:

Either way, if this is all I get for 105mph, I'm really not going to complain. I might well have done much higher speeds (on private roads, obviously Very Happy ) on my bike and not been done (which I couldn't have been as I was on a private road Very Happy ) so 3 points and 60 quid is not too bad.


Well, there you go! If you divide that £60 between all the times you've gone over about 80, and it probably works out quite cheap!
____________________
>Soultrader Mister James, I bet you are a copper
>Bazza Wow. Eyes like a shithouse rat, you...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:03 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were you thinking? Don't you know that the Ford Focuss is THE fastest car on the road! Especailly the diesel and 1.6. Wink

Unluckily lucky.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky you got caught, but it seems the copper was OK about it.

Look on the positive side. Least you aint walking to work today Thumbs Up

(Shakes head) These bloody scooby drivers......... Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some Focus' out therre that are extremely powerful, but for me that would fuel the idea that it could be an undercover copper. Still, fair enough that you only got £60 and 3 points! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

riichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:57 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

unlucky


copper seemed fair though Mr. Green
____________________
.......... PLOD ............ zx636 2004
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The copper was a top bloke but then, I didn't get out and ask him why he wasn't out catching proper criminals Very Happy

I would agree to all the advice that I've read in the past, be polite, hold your hands up and take the punishment. He knew I was guilty, I knew I was guilty, I wasn't going to insult his intelligence by saying that it wasn't me.

Luckily for me, he was understanding and young enough to probably understand that it's easily done. If I'd been in North Wales when it happened, I reckon I'd be walking to work soon.

Now, does anyone want to swap a CB1300 for a Blade? I reckon I need to do something to slow myself down on the bike.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JeffT
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about that mate.
Have you had your scooby usuage rights revoked? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wriggle like a drugged-up worm! You can get out of speeding fines, if his speedo wasn't calibrated that day, the evidence is null and void As the only way they can calculate your speed is if the speed gun was aimed at your plate, has the date and time etc, and if the police car's speed can be accurately subtracted from that on the picture.

Give 'em hell!

Jack
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Cheese wrote:
Wriggle like a drugged-up worm! You can get out of speeding fines, if his speedo wasn't calibrated that day, the evidence is null and void As the only way they can calculate your speed is if the speed gun was aimed at your plate, has the date and time etc, and if the police car's speed can be accurately subtracted from that on the picture.

I believe the police car's speed would be 0, so easy for them to defend. They don't have to have a picture or 'owt, they just have to tell the courts 'my equipment said he was doing 105mph'.

3 points is pretty lucky for 105.

It could be the other car had a radar/lazer detector? As soon as it started to bleep they braked hard?

Or of course it could be a set up Confused.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, thought it was from a moving police car, my bad. At least you didn't get the instant ban Thumbs Up

Jack
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Re: The b******* finally got me ... Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
Just over the ton and suddenly he goes backwards like there's no tomorrow, he didn't just lift off, one second he's there, the next he's 100 yards behind me. I lift off, drop into the inside lane and carry on at about 75-80. As I topped the next hill, I saw a marked car in the far distance

I love doing that to car drivers Smile LMFAO!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hotdog
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Cheese wrote:
Wriggle like a drugged-up worm! You can get out of speeding fines, if his speedo wasn't calibrated that day, the evidence is null and void As the only way they can calculate your speed is if the speed gun was aimed at your plate, has the date and time etc, and if the police car's speed can be accurately subtracted from that on the picture.

Give 'em hell!

Jack


There is currently some dispute over the accuracy of speed guns and motorcycles.

Always "Wriggle like a drugged-up worm" as Jack says.

My success rate at challenging alleged charges has been over 90%.

At one point I beat 13 alleged offences in a 3 month period.

There are a lot of things that can work in your favour.

The CPS can vary between not knowing what is going on, to not having prepared the case against you, to not having the slightest idea of what is going on and being completely indifferent.

Only my personal opinion and experience of course.

As far as being polite and grovelling for mercy, I don't even bother to acknowledge any questions unless I consider them to be relevant.

Non-traffic pigs nearly always talk complete rubbish "you are lucky we aren't traffic cops or you'd have no licence by now"

Of course it would be rude to tell them they are talking crap so I just smile and decline to comment on anything.

Pretending you are deaf is always amusing as is suffering from claustrophobia if they 'ask' you into the back of the car.

Always carry a letter from your doctor explaining you have Tourettes Syndrome as well as the one excusing you from wearing a seatbelt due to a shoulder injury.

Remember, the police are there to protect and serve and will not mind you taping the conversation to play for your mates when you say gynaecologist or astronaut or deep sea diver when asked for your occupation (your occupation is one of the few details that you are required to provide) do they ask because they will treat you differently depending on your occupation ?

Never admit you have your licence on you, never admit you are in the wrong and it's only a request for you to sign a producer.

Remember, they are there for your fun.

Wink

Hotdog.
____________________
He's a gentleman, a scholar, he's an-acrobat, he's the one and only truly original.......
Hotdog....(Defender of the weak, the poor and the innocent)
He's The Ace - He's Amazing...He's the Strongest... He's The Quickest.... He's The Best!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Re: The b******* finally got me ... Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
the grim reaper wrote:
Just over the ton and suddenly he goes backwards like there's no tomorrow, he didn't just lift off, one second he's there, the next he's 100 yards behind me. I lift off, drop into the inside lane and carry on at about 75-80. As I topped the next hill, I saw a marked car in the far distance

I love doing that to car drivers Smile LMFAO!!


Ah yes, so hilarious that one, just don't complain when you slam your brakes on and the car behind you knocks you off and runs over your head Evil or Very Mad

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do that to cars all the time on my bike. Get em in a race down the A90 then slam-on just before we went through one of the carefully hidden speed cameras that were there at the time. Leave them to rocket through it at three figure speeds and get flashed then overtake them again whilst pointing, laughing and doing the 'looser' handsignal Twisted Evil

Used to break up the tedium of a long journey.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Re: The b******* finally got me ... Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:

Ah yes, so hilarious that one, just don't complain when you slam your brakes on and the car behind you knocks you off and runs over your head

There ya go making uninformed assumptions & ya end up looking like a fucking idiot, all I do is ease off the throttle just before the corner where I know the cops are laying in wait & leave the twat in the car to take the rap for speeding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Re: The b******* finally got me ... Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
suddenly he goes backwards like there's no tomorrow, he didn't just lift off, one second he's there, the next he's 100 yards behind me.

ZRX61 wrote:
I love doing that to car drivers Smile LMFAO!!

Not much of an assumption, seems you said you did that.

Personally, I wouldn't want a car driver or another biker to try and get more points on my licence, so I wouldn't do it to others.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:23 - 29 Nov 2005    Post subject: Re: The b******* finally got me ... Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
the grim reaper wrote:

Ah yes, so hilarious that one, just don't complain when you slam your brakes on and the car behind you knocks you off and runs over your head

There ya go making uninformed assumptions & ya end up looking like a fucking idiot, all I do is ease off the throttle just before the corner where I know the cops are laying in wait & leave the twat in the car to take the rap for speeding.


Eh? How in hells name did I make an 'uninformed assumption'? You said 'I love doing that to car drivers' after I told a story about someone 'slamming their brakes on after baiting another driver just before a speed trap'.

There's only one person looking like a ****ing idiot around here.

Oh and cheers G for the reply Thumbs Up

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BenBray
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 29 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might seem a little paranoid or whatever, but this sort of thing happened to my mate.

Again it was a Focus Zetec - I hear most or their newer fords are all based around the zetec engines by the way, and in the hands of the right driver they shift - as he was going along a nice wide dually.

Hes sitting behind this guy at about 75 when he decides to swing out and overtake. Being a corsa is takes... er... quite a while Very Happy but just as hes about to overtake it speeds up. Obviously - you know what happened - and he ended up with his first ticket.

The only thing that seemed strange to me was the guys seating position. He was actually sat properly in his seat, with a fairly straight back and proper driving position.

We put it down to a tosser knowing where the cameras are, but I've heard a couple of these recently - just thought I'd point that out and tell you that you're not 100% paranoid...

Yet Wink
____________________
Current Bike: nc30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 29 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

105 , 3 points , THATS AMASING

My mate got a ban at 108


Your lucky.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 29 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the police would go to the expense of rebadging or trying to hide a faster car as something lesser. It would also be illegal (entrapment). The police just do not know whether a person has a camera in their car, and in the age of camera phones it wouldn't take much for the police to be filmed in an illegal car.

Chance's are the driver of the focus had a speed trap warning device on his/her dashboard. If it was a hand-held device used by the police then this could explain why they only slowed down at the last minute.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 29 Nov 2005    Post subject: Re: The b******* finally got me ... Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:

Eh? How in hells name did I make an 'uninformed assumption'? You said 'I love doing that to car drivers' after I told a story about someone 'slamming their brakes on after baiting another driver just before a speed trap'.

I was refering to sucking people into speed traps, I'll type slower next time for the hard of thinking...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 29 Nov 2005    Post subject: Re: The b******* finally got me ... Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
the grim reaper wrote:

Eh? How in hells name did I make an 'uninformed assumption'? You said 'I love doing that to car drivers' after I told a story about someone 'slamming their brakes on after baiting another driver just before a speed trap'.

I was refering to sucking people into speed traps, I'll type slower next time for the hard of thinking...


I really should apologise, it's all my fault for not making sure that my crystal ball was clean so I would have a ****ing clue what you're on about.

I typed about someone slamming their brakes on, you replied saying that 'you love doing that to car drivers' and yet it's me that's hard of thinking because I didn't psychically guess that you meant that you just roll off the throttle?

How about next time, instead of typing slower, you just don't type at all?

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 140.16 Kb