Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Risk it or get the train?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:09 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Risk it or get the train? Reply with quote

As you know, i got the SMOD as my hack for uni because in theory i was going to ride to and from uni.

Now the SMOD, hates starting. The thing doesnt charge. It has its own go=go=gadget smoke screen on occasion and i think the clutch is on the way out.

Now everyone in my family is adamant i should get the train back from bangor to stevenage (250 miles, 2 changes, alot of hassle, and not cheap).

Or i can go down the a55 straight run to chester, get the m6 from there (also straight run iirc), join onto the a1m later on about peterborough and thats me home. Straight line poddling in top at 80 ish the whole way.

If it works, it will be convenient. Fab, and lovely.

The problem i have is, i dont trust it not to explode exactly half way, stumping me with a large fee getting it tracked back home.

What would you guys do? How much do you trust old decripit bikes? Bear in mind its 16 years old, and had a hard life by the look of it. Im fine with the long period on the bike (roughly 3-4 hours), but i will go apeshit if it explodes. But i loathe trains with a passion...

Anyone risked it and failed? Anyone nursed a shagged hack long distance?
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:11 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join the AA first?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile



Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:19 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
It has its own go=go=gadget smoke screen on occasion


Quility, made me crack up that did!lol
____________________
99 RS125 --> 02 SV650s --> 03 Speed Four --> 92 RXS100 --> 93 CB400sf --> 01 CB600f Hornet


Last edited by Andy C on 18:42 - 04 Dec 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often think the same about my GS.

I get on the motorway and start imagining noises then start shitting myself that the back wheel is gonna lock at 90 and kill me Mr. Green


aah such is life
____________________
"no I didn't steal it that's just the way I ride"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Re: Risk it or get the train? Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:


Anyone risked it and failed? Anyone nursed a shagged hack long distance?


My 125 seized half way back from uni, about 25 miles away from home. That was fun. Shocked It doesn't really matter how long the distance is if you don't have breakdown cover, and I had no phone on me either. Laughing

I pootled along at about 15mph all the way back once it had cooled down enough to start. I had to pull in to let the following queue past numerous times, it made a lot of odd noises and rattles and a funny smell, but it still got me back.

Okay, it's not on the same scale, but it really wasn't fun. No-one stopped to see if I needed help, and it was rush hour. Get breakdown cover.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Join the AA first?


Im with the AA joe. But i've also used the tossers before Middle Finger Middle Finger

Not happy bunny.

6 hours and they didnt show up, had to wait until the next day. Was on my own in a country lane all night.

And besides which, the only tow short distances for free. They are only obliged to tow you to the nearest garage. If they are nice they let you choose one in the area.

250 miles... If it dies right next to mine its kushty, and vice versa (although getting alittle towards home, it dying, and then getting towed back would probably see it firebombed). But what if its in the middle of nowhere? Im going home for crimbo. Im poor. And the bikes worth fuck all. All repairs are only cost effective as DIY,ergo i cant just lump it in a garage, ask for an engine rebuild and come pick it up a few days later.

I have worries.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:38 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have an adventure.
Bike was meant to be ridden.

Arrange to do the journey in short hops rather than one big hit.
That'll allow the bike and you time to recover Wink

A run of 250 miles isn't that great. Suggest at least 2 maybe 3 stops (15 min to 30 mins). Bike takes on fuel. You check oil etc and take food/water/hot drink yourself.

If you're that worried about the condition of the bike then sell it and then you can't complain about it.

Just my thoughts.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"Now the SMOD, hates starting. The thing doesnt charge. It has its own go=go=gadget smoke screen on occasion and i think the clutch is on the way out."

Charge/Buy new battery, Smoke shouldnt be a problem just fill up the oil before you go and fuck it you wont need the clutch once you on the motorway 100mph all the way....


If it were me knowing how much the shit trains cost and how long they can take. I would just do as much preventative maintanence as i could and risk it. Thats me though Neutral
____________________
"no I didn't steal it that's just the way I ride"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i might risk it. Fook da poolice.

If it dies on my, i hold you all fully accountable Very Happy
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:48 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a dremel if if blows up scratch the frame numbers off rip off the numberplate and dump it. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother removing the numberplate etc? Just say it was stolen...

What kind of bike is it?
____________________
Yamaha SZR660 Caution to the wind, the throttle pinned!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done quite a lot of miles on my somewhat unreliable ar125. Just carry a few basic tools, spare plugs etc and you should be alright. Thankfully my 125 always broke down pretty near to home.

It was not uncommon for me to be changing plugs etc on roadsides. Laughing
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
They are only obliged to tow you to the nearest garage.


Depends on your level of cover.

Get a decent one if you want to be taken home.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it, it'll be an adventure. If it is not generating any power, just make sure the battery is charged and you go in the daylight so you don't have to use the lights. Mate of mine rode a BSA starfire (well a Triumph something or other actually but the same thing) from Amsterdam to Prague on battery power only.

Smoke is ok, just keep topping the oil up.

Get good breakdown cover. I get mine free with my insurance and it takes me home from anywhere in Europe Thumbs Up

My Jawa once holed a piston on the Isle of Mull (racing a 250 superdream). I rode it back to Edinburgh on one cylinder which is about 150 miles and incorporates one of the highest hill passes in the UK.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

superstacker
Traffic Copper



Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a good level of breakdown cover that includes full home recovery.

You might think that its a waste of money......
untill you break down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would say go for it, just take it easy. Sounds in quite good shape to some of the bikes I have ridden (and a friend once holed a piston on an air cooled RD250, took the head off at a service station and put a bolt in the piston to plug the hole, put the head back on and carried on his journey).

If worried then collect a few numbers of people on the way so if it does go bang someone can help get it going, or just store it over christmas.

stinkwheel wrote:
Mate of mine rode a BSA starfire (well a Triumph something or other actually but the same thing) from Amsterdam to Prague on battery power only.


A lot of older bikes do not need any battery power at all to run.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:17 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:


A lot of older bikes do not need any battery power at all to run.


Agreed. However I said battery power ONLY, total loss. He broke a small but vital part off his charging system while trying to adjust the points in Amsterdam. Managed to find a spare battery and between the two of them he could do a days riding then put them on charge overnight.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:22 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above about 65mph my MZ would lose all power.

But below that was fine, and if you pulled the clutch in and revved a bit it'd be ok.

I decided it'd be a good idea to ride it to Bristol from Chelmsford anyway. (170miles)

I must have broken down at least 10 times on the M4. One time attracting the attention of a bike traffic copper. (Had no tax) He was a good guy though.

In the end my dad and I ended up doing major mechanical surgery at the side of the M4. Turned out the valve the carb floats push against had rattled loose and wasn't letting petrol in.

After we fixed that it was fine and I attempted the world MZ speed record.

But before we fixed it, and before it ran fine, I was /extremely/ angry.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:34 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thats a good idea. Anyone live on the red line or thereabouts? That would be willing to let me sling the bike in there if it explodes? Hell if it explodes id probably give you money to fix over crimbo if bored and it was simple.

Im really up for doing it now, but i really really dont trust the bike.
Gaz's story is kinda glaring into my mind.

As soon as a bike doesnt work the red mist comes down (cough cough 160 mph down the m'way with no lights on cos of a dodgy reg/rec springs to mind... and the ensuing chase :shake:) and i usually barely restrain torching the bike in a tantrum or doing illegal things.

We will see, i'll take it up round anglesey (the route babyyam suggested) and clear the old girls throat abit. Might cruise up and down the A55 abit too, see how she goes.

HAVE to wheelie menai bridge though, cant nurse her that much.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:46 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are you going? If it's before tuesday morning there's a place in Bristol you're welcome to leave it.

After tuesday morning there's a place in Essex you're welcome to leave it.

The SMOD doesn't sound so bad, if it's burning oil just make sure you're topping it up. It's not cutting out or anything so I wouldn't worry.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I live just outside Stafford, between J13 and J14 of the M6.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:32 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ive decided on a nice little compromise.

At some point this week, im going to take the SMOD on a long ride around anglesey, give it some abuse and if it misses a beat, i wont go by bike.

I will be riding back on the 17th ideally. If i do go.

I also need to see if petrol wise it will be cheaper. I think the bugger is running rich, so if i say motorways cruising will be around 50% (ie if it does 100 miles per £10 on a roads, it will do 150 on the motorway for a tenner) more efficient then A roads, i'll monitor it abit closer this time and find out

I can buy my ticket on the day so if the weather is horrific (i mean like absolute blizzard warning bad) i can just take the train. Same as if it wont start originally.

Nice to have something to plan for (see other thread Mad ).

I will update soon, and if after i give it some long distance testing tomoro it holds up, then i will definitely pm you guys for details and start a 'who wants to give me a contingency address to lump my bike if it explodes upon this route' type thread. Beer vouchers available Thumbs Up

Again though that poses another problem, i have a bike in my garage that i havent touched in a year because the problems hard to sort. I dont want to lump a bike on someone with something hard to sort, that i cant economically pay someone to repair that is to far for me to sort. Best i could do then is hire a van to trundle it back home in, but as i a) dont drive and b) im under 25...

Hmm Thinking Riddles within riddles
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me again. What sort of bike is the SMOD?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR600, although I have VFR750 in my head...
Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 05 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

1989 VFR750

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/Richvfr47433.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 139.38 Kb